Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Humpback whale in Firth of Forth

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
StepOne
Lemon Slice

Humpback whale in Firth of Forth

Postby StepOne » March 13th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Took the kids to Kinghorn on Sunday to do some whale watching, and were lucky enough to spot one! As soon as we got out of the car we saw a row of photographers with long lenses, so we headed over and were rewarded with 5 or 10 minutes of the local humpback appearing on the surface, and 3 amazing breaches one of which we managed to capture, albeit quite far away and grainy. It disappeared west round the headland following the tide, at which point the proper photographers headed of to follow it, and we went down to play football on the beach, and sit in the sun, where it was almost warm.

The kids seemed a lot less excited than we were, but hopefully this day will stick in their heads as they grow up.

It seems the whale has been around for a few weeks, so who knows how much longer it will be here for - it's apparently very rare for one to be so far up the Firth. Definitely worth a trip if you are in the area. Just after low tide seems to the best time to try.

StepOne

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Humpback whale in Firth of Forth

Postby Slarti » March 14th, 2017, 10:40 am

I'm jealous :mrgreen:

Slarti

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Postby midnightcatprowl » March 14th, 2017, 11:05 am

Me too

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » March 14th, 2017, 11:34 am

Looks more like Nessie to me

--kiloran

StepOne
Lemon Slice

Postby StepOne » March 14th, 2017, 11:39 am

Worth a trip maybe? Only 40 minutes on the train from Edinburgh. I was actually surprised how few people were there. It's definitely creating some interest, and the cafe which sits above the beach with great views has been doing well of the back of it, but the numbers of people watching were in the dozens, not hundreds. There's quite a pleasing lack of hysteria.

StepOne

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » March 14th, 2017, 11:56 am

StepOne wrote:Worth a trip maybe? Only 40 minutes on the train from Edinburgh.

Plus 6.5 hours to get to Edinburgh :(

Slarti

Sorcery
Lemon Quarter

Postby Sorcery » March 16th, 2017, 8:43 pm

I used to dive a lot and my dive club had a lot of keen photographers and there was a kind of bond with a separate club of photographers. The photographic group went on exotic holidays the dive club tended to be more cheap and cheerful. Anyway one year the photographic group decided they were going to go to French Polynesia for a one week holiday in Rangiroa diving with sharks and then a second week somewhere else (can't remember what the island was called) snorkelling with whales. I signed up for it.

Ignoring the first week (which was pretty darned good), the second was a fabulous jaw dropping experience. We were taken out on a quite highsided boat difficult to get into from the sea. The first day was mixed, the skipper could not find them. We jumped in anyway and could hear their calls which I possibly unPC like decided to mimic. Was rewarded late in the day when I saw (faintly) a humpback swim underneath me. Managed to get it on video camera, was the only swimmer who got a shot. Day 2 was an epiphany. Sea state was fairly rough, bright sunlight, so bright I could not see my video screen and thought that it had packed up or was out of power. Left it on the boat when we found some humpbacks. Jumping in to water with 80m+ visibility was immediately close to a pair of large humpbacks (perhaps a courting couple). It was soon obvious that they were as interested in us (of which there were about 20) as we were in them. One of them kept rolling over onto his back to show us his white belly while staying at about 30m depth , at a guess a male showoff :-), no sense of fear from us or from them, if they had wanted to lose us it would have been simple to do so, they can swim fast and dive deep. At one point one of them surfaced and didn't move and was soon surrounded by the other 19 snorkellers. I didn't fancy that, thought that surrounding him/her was a bad idea and so tacked off to try and see if I could get a more distant frontal view. Was very relieved to see the humpback obviously very aware of the surrounding swimmers just gently exhale and sink to depth before moving off a little. That's intelligence and empathy in one I thought. And of course my video camera was working perfectly just not obviously so in bright sunlight.
Day 3 was much the same though this time I took the video camera :-) Saw some breaching at which point the guide decided we should vacate the area. At the end of the day most of the photographers were out of film bar one on digital and me on video, and we were tired and were almost about to go when the skipper said there was one underneath us at about 20m distance. Adrenaline kicked in and we both jumped in. Once orientated and had found the whale, it decided to do a swim by (it was curious too). It came within touching distance, eyeballing me all the way until it left me in it's wake, never to be seen again.
Day 4 was the end of the snorkelling, torrential rain washed mud into the sea so that from 80+m vis the water looked the colour of the Thames estuary.

You can learn a lot about whales by swimming with them, they are sociable, intelligent, fearless, curious, and surprisingly unwilling to harm. Not sure I would want to try that with Orcas though!

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Postby sg31 » March 19th, 2017, 10:40 pm

I can't compete with the experience of Sorcery but I did see whales eye to eye many years ago.

I was a new apprentice in the Merchant Navy on a ship going over to Canada bound for Sept Isles somewhere up the St Lawrence. I was only 17 and hadn't been out of the UK before so everything was new and exciting. When we weren't on watch we three apprentices helped the crew with maintenance duties, this day we were doing some work on the main deck (OK we were messing about). It was a bright sunny day with great visibility somewhere around the mouth of the St Lawrence river.

Out of nowhere a we all got a thorough soaking. A whale was swimming alongside the ship and he/she (how do you sex a whale) had flicked his tail and drenched us. Playful? Who knows but it continued to swim alongside our position for several minutes, watching us intently. I was mesmerised, I'd never seen a whale before and this one was about 20' to 30' away. Eventually he just sank away and disappeared.

That wasn't the end of it, there were a lot of whales around, they were breaching, waving their tails in the air before slapping them down, blowing, one even swam straight into the side of the ship not far from where I was standing.

I saw a lot of whales after that but that first time was very special.

Return to “The Natural World”