Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Last Winter

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Last Winter

Postby Nimrod103 » May 1st, 2023, 10:31 pm

Does anyone else think the Winter just gone has been unusually destructive in the garden? I have lost Hebes, Lavender, Rudbeckias, and two varieties of Cistus, one of which had been in my garden for 60 years. Most annoying was a loss of a couple of pink varieties of bush fuschias. The only survivor there was a variety called Mrs Popple which I think is a little more hardy, and even then only the bigger plants survived, not some younger ones I was nurturing.

I think the worst bit of the Winter was the cold snap with snow before Christmas. I didn't record the low temperatures but they must have been unusually low for southern England.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Re: Last Winter

Postby mutantpoodle » May 2nd, 2023, 8:00 am

I agree has been bad news in my garden
2 cordelines and 4 coprosma
am keeping fingers crossed on the cordelines in case some activity in summer from below

fuschia hit hard but seems to be shooting at ground level
hydranger not looking at all good...and they should be hardy !!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 2nd, 2023, 8:17 am

For me in Scotland it is the lack of hard frost that has done more damage than usual. Nimrod's description would be typical of the damage in a Scottish garden but only in a really severe winter and probably in an exposed spot at that.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 2nd, 2023, 9:12 am

I have lost more shrubs and perennials this last winter than in the previous 30 years combined. We had four consecutive days and nights at minus 10 Celsius, that's pretty much unprecedented in recent times. So far I have lost euonymous, olive tree, cordeline, hypericum, camelia, acer and they're just the ones I can think off sitting here.

Showing some signs of new growth, ceanothus, fuschia, pernyetta.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 2nd, 2023, 9:25 am

Yes, we had eleven straight December nights of minus 10 or thereabouts, here in sunny West Wiltshire, and that's more than a great many plants can survive. (Did I mention that we then had non-stop floodwaters for three weeks in March?) Now that spring is springing, we are also counting the cost on shrubs and plants. It looks like all our cordelines are gone, although a couple of them may be worth cutting down to a stump, because their roots still look OK. Some of our better fuschias have also failed, but then, they're usually described as half-hardy anyway, so fair's fair I suppose?

On the bright side, it gives my wife an opportunity to indulge in a little retail therapy at the local nursery. :D
It's prompted us to take out some elderly bushes that were already past their best. And the spring show of daffs, tulips and crocuses has seemed all the more vibrant and welcoming after the desolation of December. Onward and upward!

BJ

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 2nd, 2023, 9:41 am

BullDog wrote:I have lost more shrubs and perennials this last winter than in the previous 30 years combined. We had four consecutive days and nights at minus 10 Celsius, that's pretty much unprecedented in recent times. So far I have lost euonymous, olive tree, cordeline, hypericum, camelia, acer and they're just the ones I can think off sitting here.

I could not grow many of these and expect them to survive our normal winters but that is a shame because at least some of these are expensive to replace. I like alstroemeria but can only grow them in pots and take them inside for the winter and just avoid those on your list, although an acer usually survives OK (if planed outside in a sheltered spot.)

Dod

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » May 2nd, 2023, 9:48 am

I thought it was the long dry summer that did for some of my shrubs, in the sunniest bed it was really dried out, many things wilted and scorched but I hoped for recovery. Checking this March I have definately lost a few specimens. Something took around a third of the foliage on my box not the dreaded box blight (Calonectria) but I think the milder Volutella fungus as it looks like it's coming back. I was going to grub it out but didn't get round to it, it's a lone plant not part of a hedge or border, doesn't look like my neighbours have any Buxus so I'm not too worried about contagion.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 2nd, 2023, 10:10 am

Dod101 wrote:
BullDog wrote:I have lost more shrubs and perennials this last winter than in the previous 30 years combined. We had four consecutive days and nights at minus 10 Celsius, that's pretty much unprecedented in recent times. So far I have lost euonymous, olive tree, cordeline, hypericum, camelia, acer and they're just the ones I can think off sitting here.

I could not grow many of these and expect them to survive our normal winters but that is a shame because at least some of these are expensive to replace. I like alstroemeria but can only grow them in pots and take them inside for the winter and just avoid those on your list, although an acer usually survives OK (if planed outside in a sheltered spot.)

Dod

Yes, two out of three Acers survived. The one that died always looked a bit weaker than the other two but had previously survived maybe 10 years being outside all year in a pot. Regrettable losing an olive tree but I enjoyed it maybe better part of 20 years. Surprise was losing a patch of euphorbia. There's two other patches survived and they usually grow like a weed. Looking forward to the buddliea later on in the year attracting the bees and butterflies. They are growing like topsy even in the very cool spring weather.

Lost some of my hebes and lavender bushes too.

Yes, looking at it now, this last winter was very bad indeed for my garden. Absolutely the worst in 30+ years for plant loss.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 2nd, 2023, 11:19 am

BullDog wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Yes, two out of three Acers survived. The one that died always looked a bit weaker than the other two but had previously survived maybe 10 years being outside all year in a pot. Regrettable losing an olive tree but I enjoyed it maybe better part of 20 years. Surprise was losing a patch of euphorbia. There's two other patches survived and they usually grow like a weed. Looking forward to the buddliea later on in the year attracting the bees and butterflies. They are growing like topsy even in the very cool spring weather.

Yes, looking at it now, this last winter was very bad indeed for my garden. Absolutely the worst in 30+ years for plant loss.

Hebes just do not survive in my part of the world. They do I think on our coast but they seldom get any frost although high winds but they seem to survive that. Lavender I am surprised about. I do not have ideal soil for it but it survives that and also the coldest winters.

I have never heard of anyone growing an olive tree in this country although a few weeks ago I read a great novel about one and a family from Cyprus. Do not remember the title.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 2nd, 2023, 11:26 am

Dod101 wrote:
BullDog wrote:Yes, two out of three Acers survived. The one that died always looked a bit weaker than the other two but had previously survived maybe 10 years being outside all year in a pot. Regrettable losing an olive tree but I enjoyed it maybe better part of 20 years. Surprise was losing a patch of euphorbia. There's two other patches survived and they usually grow like a weed. Looking forward to the buddliea later on in the year attracting the bees and butterflies. They are growing like topsy even in the very cool spring weather.

Hebes just do not survive in my part of the world. They do I think on our coast but they seldom get any frost although high winds but they seem to survive that. Lavender I am surprised about. I do not have ideal soil for it but it survives that and also the coldest winters.

I have never heard of anyone growing an olive tree in this country although a few weeks ago I read a great novel about one and a family from Cyprus. Do not remember the title.

Dod

Olive trees can be surprisingly hardy. It flowered well but never fruited. It was quite content for the best part of twenty years in a large pot. I don't think I'll replace it though to be honest. Hebe's are dead easy to root, so I have a couple of dozen cuttings on the go to plant out later in the year to replace the dead ones. I can't remember losing any hebes in other winters.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 2nd, 2023, 11:42 am

Dod101 wrote:Hebes just do not survive in my part of the world. They do I think on our coast but they seldom get any frost although high winds but they seem to survive that.
Dod

No problem here (south Glasgow) Dod, but be aware that small-leafed hebes tend to be more hardy than larger-leafed varieties. Those in my garden verify that rule.
I did lose a big Ceanothus this year, but it was old. Maybe 30 years.
doolally

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 2nd, 2023, 11:50 am

doolally wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Hebes just do not survive in my part of the world. They do I think on our coast but they seldom get any frost although high winds but they seem to survive that.
Dod

No problem here (south Glasgow) Dod, but be aware that small-leafed hebes tend to be more hardy than larger-leafed varieties. Those in my garden verify that rule.
doolally

Maybe I have just used the wrong Hebes but per my experience I just abandoned them

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » May 2nd, 2023, 11:54 am

doolally wrote:
Dod

doolally

You might be lucky and get new growth on the ceanothus. Admittedly, I am a hundred or more miles south of you but my ceanothus that I thought was dead is starting to green up again slowly.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » May 6th, 2023, 1:26 am

The RHS has published an article on their experiences.

RHS winter plant damage survey – findings released
What died, what thrived and other surprises at the five RHS Gardens
https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/articles ... ant-survey

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 6th, 2023, 6:57 am

Breelander wrote:The RHS has published an article on their experiences.

Judging by my experience in Scotland, most of these comments apply to England probably southern England at that. We certainly did not have a 'brutal' winter and I have lost nothing in my garden towards the south of Perthshire. Still it is a shame because it sounds as though Wisley has had a tough time.

Dod

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » May 6th, 2023, 7:21 pm

Breelander wrote:The RHS has published an article on their experiences.

Very interesting. Thanks for posting that. I can’t say last Winter was ‘brutal’ overall, but the cold snap before Christmas was unusually bad in the southeast.

doolally
Lemon Slice

Postby doolally » May 6th, 2023, 8:06 pm

Dod101 wrote:
doolally wrote:No problem here (south Glasgow) Dod, but be aware that small-leafed hebes tend to be more hardy than larger-leafed varieties. Those in my garden verify that rule.
doolally

Maybe I have just used the wrong Hebes but per my experience I just abandoned them

Dod

I can certainly recommend Hebe Sutherland.
https://www.gardenia.net/plant/hebe-pin ... therlandii
Got loads in the garden, some for more than 20 years. As hardy as they come, never lost one. Larger-leafed hebes certainly don't survive as well.
doolally

Return to “The Natural World”