Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Well I never knew that...

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Dicky99
Lemon Slice

Well I never knew that...

Postby Dicky99 » June 12th, 2023, 8:44 pm

On Spring Watch just now Megan McCubbin was showing examples of Guillemot egg markings and explaining that the markings are unique to the bird and reproduced each year like a personal bar code to aid egg recognition when returning to it. I always assumed the speckles and splodges were completely random. How amazing is that :)

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Well I never knew that...

Postby Urbandreamer » June 12th, 2023, 8:57 pm

Dicky99 wrote:On Spring Watch just now Megan McCubbin was showing examples of Guillemot egg markings and explaining that the markings are unique to the bird and reproduced each year like a personal bar code to aid egg recognition when returning to it. I always assumed the speckles and splodges were completely random. How amazing is that :)

Far be for it for me to doubt, but the markings can be unique and recognizable by the mother, without being repeatable. I'd like to see two identical eggs to argue the point that she made. Once upon a time it was legal to collect such eggs and many such collections wound up in museums, along side shrunken human heads, mummified bodies and stuffed examples of quagga etc. I take it that she produced just such a pair.

Strangely I can't find much to support her statement using a web search.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Well I never knew that...

Postby Mike4 » June 12th, 2023, 10:07 pm

Dicky99 wrote:On Spring Watch just now Megan McCubbin was showing examples of Guillemot egg markings and explaining that the markings are unique to the bird and reproduced each year like a personal bar code to aid egg recognition when returning to it. I always assumed the speckles and splodges were completely random. How amazing is that :)

Even more amazing is the eggs the cuckoo lays in the nest of a reed warbler, supposedly mimic the bar code of the eggs of the host bird.

Return to “The Natural World”