Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

House Martins - when do they build nests?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

House Martins - when do they build nests?

Postby Clariman » August 11th, 2023, 11:01 am

A colony of House Martins are buzzing about our house and garden. It is really nice to see. We never had anything like that at our old house. However, I would prefer they didn't nest here. Much as I'd love it in many ways, I know that their nests produce a lot of mess on the ground below!

Do they nest as late as this or are they just hoovering up loads of flies and insects?

Thanks
C

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: House Martins - when do they build nests?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 11th, 2023, 11:16 am

Both Swifts and House Martins are on the Red List of Endangered UK Birds

Swifts and house martins join UK red list of endangered birds

Swifts and house martins have been moved from the amber list to the red list because their numbers have more than halved – swift populations have fallen by 58% since 1995.

House martins breeding and nesting habits

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 11th, 2023, 11:58 am

Clariman wrote:A colony of House Martins are buzzing about our house and garden. It is really nice to see. We never had anything like that at our old house. However, I would prefer they didn't nest here. Much as I'd love it in many ways, I know that their nests produce a lot of mess on the ground below!

Do they nest as late as this or are they just hoovering up loads of flies and insects?

Thanks
C

Sorry I forgot to say ... there are various "off the shelf" bird boxes available to purchase at very reasonable costs, which, dependent upon your personal preferences regarding the subject, reduce the "perceived" damage to your new home and also a little of the mess below.

This is an example

There are plenty more on the market and I vaguely recall an eBay shop where an elderly gentleman makes them himself. (Hark at me ... elderly :lol: ). I can't find it at the moment :roll:

eBay choice

AiY(D)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 11th, 2023, 1:19 pm

Judging by the RSPB info, it seems highly unlikely that they would be building new nests just now. More likely that they are just feasting off some flies?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 11th, 2023, 1:37 pm

Clariman wrote:Judging by the RSPB info, it seems highly unlikely that they would be building new nests just now. More likely that they are just feasting off some flies?

They will be within a month or so of migrating again so they will not be building nests now but they may well do so next spring as they seem to be creatures of habit and may well return to your spot next year. How you stop them building nests? I do not know.

Dod

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 11th, 2023, 2:55 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Clariman wrote:Judging by the RSPB info, it seems highly unlikely that they would be building new nests just now. More likely that they are just feasting off some flies?

They will be within a month or so of migrating again so they will not be building nests now but they may well do so next spring as they seem to be creatures of habit and may well return to your spot next year. How you stop them building nests? I do not know.

Dod

They are creatures of habit. We have a holiday let cottage and they nest directly above the front door every year, which means the doorstep is constantly mucky. Although it gets cleaned every week it is mucky a few days later. Most guests like them but some complain.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 19th, 2023, 7:59 pm

Well my grandson pointed out some mud high up on our wall today. It is in just the spot I'd think house martins would make a nest. Would they have started making one this month - so near to migration time? It may be that their normal habitat has been disrupted by building work so perhaps they are building a new home for next year?

Either that or it is some other beasties high up on the wall.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 20th, 2023, 8:39 am

Clariman wrote:Well my grandson pointed out some mud high up on our wall today. It is in just the spot I'd think house martins would make a nest. Would they have started making one this month - so near to migration time? It may be that their normal habitat has been disrupted by building work so perhaps they are building a new home for next year?

Nesting seasons will vary slightly with the prevailing weather conditions. House Martins start to leave in August. Some can be seen as late as October.

AiY(D)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 20th, 2023, 9:41 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Clariman wrote:Well my grandson pointed out some mud high up on our wall today. It is in just the spot I'd think house martins would make a nest. Would they have started making one this month - so near to migration time? It may be that their normal habitat has been disrupted by building work so perhaps they are building a new home for next year?

Nesting seasons will vary slightly with the prevailing weather conditions. House Martins start to leave in August. Some can be seen as late as October.

AiY(D)

Thanks
I'm wondering whether they are marking their territory in advance of using it next year?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 20th, 2023, 9:49 am

Clariman wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Nesting seasons will vary slightly with the prevailing weather conditions. House Martins start to leave in August. Some can be seen as late as October.

AiY(D)

Thanks
I'm wondering whether they are marking their territory in advance of using it next year?

If they've read this thread, I agree, they could well be staking a claim for 2024. Front row seats :lol: .

However, poor humour aside, they can raise 2-3 broods a year. The chicks leave the nest after about 5-6 weeks. If they're building I'd assume they will try to raise a brood. Maybe they have been evicted from elsewhere and the weather is telling them they have time to build another?

AiY(D)

Return to “The Natural World”