Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Mini chainsaw

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Mini chainsaw

Postby MrFoolish » September 11th, 2023, 1:46 pm

I'm tempted to get a mini electric chainsaw for taking down a large shrub, branch by branch. They are available at around £80. I have an ordinary wood saw but it's such hard work.

I've never used one before and I'm slightly afraid of the idea of one. Are they easy and safe to use? My fear is it might jerk up for some unknown reason and take my hand off or something! Thanks.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mini chainsaw

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 11th, 2023, 2:14 pm

Bow saws are pretty effective. I've used petrol chainsaws but never an electric one, I still have both hands :)

RC

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » September 11th, 2023, 2:29 pm

They terrify me too. :D Ask anyone who uses a chainsaw regularly and they'll tell you of a few narrow escapes and the occasional visit to A&E. I was once given an electric chainsaw that somebody's dad had owned, but I never even switched it on. Maybe that was because I'd known a guy with two fingers (and a thumb). Freakishly, he'd been cutting a tree on an old military encampment and he'd hit a 17th century cannonball! :shock:

There are not that many situations where a curved pruning saw can't do the job of a small chainsaw. Okay, it might take you fifteen minutes to get through a seven inch trunk, but you're in control all the way. We have forty fruit trees, and I haven't yet felt the need for a powered saw.

Or rather, I hadn't until last month, when I splashed forty quid on a 900 watt reciprocating saw for some building work. (Similar to https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb881 ... 240v/282VV.) Uses cheap, replaceable sabre blades, and goes through shrubs and bushes (including roots) like the proverbial butter knife. Best of all, the blade is a loooooooong way from your hands. It ain't subtle, but I love it.

BJ

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 11th, 2023, 2:29 pm

How about a compromise? A reciprocating saw?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=reciprocat ... -doa-p_2_5

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 11th, 2023, 2:30 pm

What is the advantage of a bow saw over a traditional hand saw? Excuse my complete ignorance!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » September 11th, 2023, 2:36 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I'm tempted to get a mini electric chainsaw for taking down a large shrub, branch by branch. They are available at around £80. I have an ordinary wood saw but it's such hard work.

I've never used one before and I'm slightly afraid of the idea of one. Are they easy and safe to use? My fear is it might jerk up for some unknown reason and take my hand off or something! Thanks.

The wife's mum had an electric chainsaw and if ever there was a person that shouldn't use sharp garden tools, it was her. But she got on fine with it.

I did some (petrol) chainsaw training back in my youth and yes, the topic of the saw kicking back into your face or suddenly dropping through and tearing into your leg was extensively covered. And I mean extensively.

There is a brake that sits above your hand that should activate if the saw kicks back and if it drops down the way, the angle should mean you let go of the main trigger. But they did make sure were were fully kitted out in safety gear before letting us loose with these things.

..saying that, the mother in laws electric chainsaw was woefully weedy. Maybe I expected too much from it compared to a petrol variety.

Basic common sense should keep you right though. Keep your legs and face out of the way. Don't force the blade. Keep the blade sharp.Don't stretch for a cut or adopt any unusual position..... and watch the cable.

I do have electric hedgetrimmers which are great for general tidying up, but I've got a set of extendable handle loppers which do almost all of the branch cutting I need. Would they do the job better? (I still need to take the handsaw out for a couple of branches)

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 11th, 2023, 2:44 pm

Thanks all. Decisions... Decisions... I do have extendable handle loppers but some of these branches are just too big. Pretty sure this shrub started out as a little thing in a pot - how did it get this big? I do like the look of those electric reciprocating saws as they don't look like something from the set of a horror movie!

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » September 11th, 2023, 3:03 pm

Have a look around for an “alligator” saw. Same principle as a chainsaw, but with jaws & a guard over the chain-side.
Much safer.

e.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-G ... 274&sr=8-2

Although, that’s onlt OK if all you want to do is cut branches. No good if you want to get into the artistry of wood carving!
Last edited by GrahamPlatt on September 11th, 2023, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » September 11th, 2023, 3:04 pm

MrFoolish wrote:What is the advantage of a bow saw over a traditional hand saw? Excuse my complete ignorance!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bow_saw

They have large teeth and are designed for cutting rather than sawing in a straight line. I find mine very useful for chopping tree\shrub limbs without too much effort. I can get through 4-5" branches pretty easily.

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 11th, 2023, 3:14 pm

MrFoolish wrote:What is the advantage of a bow saw over a traditional hand saw? Excuse my complete ignorance!

I take it you mean a pruning saw for the latter. I've got both and I'd have said the bow saw is better for heavier duty stuff whereas the pruning saw is more flexible in its accessibility (sometimes because of the bow you just can't get the bow saw in where you want to).

Interesting article comparing the two here: https://lowcountrystyleandliving.com/bow-saw-vs-pruning-saw-whats-the-difference-which-one-to-use/

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » September 11th, 2023, 3:16 pm

MrFoolish wrote:I'm tempted to get a mini electric chainsaw for taking down a large shrub, branch by branch. They are available at around £80. I have an ordinary wood saw but it's such hard work.

An ordinary wood saw... like you might use for carpentry? Nooo...
That will soon jam in green wood.

A pull saw like this 13" jobbie will make short work of all but the thickest tree cutting.

If you want the shrub to grow again, and why not given that it's obviously happy where it is, make nice clean cuts so the wounds don't get infected.

V8

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 11th, 2023, 3:17 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
I do like the look of those electric reciprocating saws as they don't look like something from the set of a horror movie!

Reciprocating saws are great for all sorts of jobs like this, with the caveat that they put you relatively close to the branches being chopped, which, depending on working height and angles, might suit you in some situations more than others.

Your hands are well away from the cutting section, and if you're likely to be working between ground level and anywhere around head height, then they're likely to be fine, and they're a relatively cheap solution if you'd prefer to avoid working with mechanical hand-saws.

Above head-height, I like the option of being a little further way, and especially if I'd otherwise be raising my arms any distance to cut something, and for those situations I'm a big fan of my Ryobi Pole Saw, using their One+ battery system -

https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/tree-cutting-and-pruning-tools/pruners/rpp1820/opp1820/

I've had one of the above for years, and have tackled really quite heavy tree-work with it, with all sorts of ropes, shackles and pully's for the really heavy stuff, and it works really well with a bit of careful thought and planning.

The main pole comes in two sections, providing a variety of working distances and heights, and in operation it's just a simple case of placing any branch in the lower 'knuckle' of the tool, and allowing the tool weight to cut through the branch once it's working. It uses a two-switch system for operation, so any accidental turn-on is avoided and a quick cut-off is achieved if required.

The above link is to a 'bare tool' version of the pole saw, which is best for people already using other 'One+' battery system tools, and it's worth noting that the batteries on their own can be relatively expensive unless bought under one of the regular offer-periods.

Ryobi have recently released a stubby version of the above pruning tool as well, for close-quarters work, and this offer does come with one of the smaller-capacity batteries included -

https://uk.ryobitools.eu/garden-tools/tree-cutting-and-pruning-tools/pruners/ry18psx10a/ry18psx10a-120/

This winter I'll be back up a large sycamore at the bottom of our garden, hacking about 6 or 7 foot off it's height, and trimming round to suit it's new shorter configuration. I'm usually happy to be stood somewhere in a tree at height so long as there's good pruning positions to be taken somewhere firm, but this year I've invested in a harness to provide some improved safety protection.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Imbiber
Lemon Slice

Postby Imbiber » September 11th, 2023, 4:38 pm

An electric telescopic pole chain saw would do, and you can keep your hand several feet from the chain. I bought one, Titan brand a few years ago for one job. It has exceeded my expectations and just keeps on going.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 11th, 2023, 4:50 pm

I've ordered a battery powered reciprocating saw, just plumping for one that was on offer. The reviews were good though people seemed to think the blades it comes with are a bit rubbish.

I might also get a curved pruning saw at a later date. Will see how I get on with my battery powered new toy first.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2023, 5:17 pm

Back to basics. If the only work you are likely to have for whatever saw you use is this shrub, I would not buy any sort of chainsaw. A bow saw or pruning saw is perfectly adequate as long as they are sharp (as it will be if bought new). They are also relatively safe to use but obviously wear fairly tough gardening gloves. You will also find long handled loppers useful at times.

Later this Autumn I will be doing some trimming to some of my trees, as I do most years, and use a bow saw or sometimes a pruning saw. Most of it will be done from the ground though. For stuff like IAAG writes of I leave that to the professionals, but that is far beyond what you will be tackling presumably.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 11th, 2023, 5:20 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Back to basics. If the only work you are likely to have for whatever saw you use is this shrub, I would not buy any sort of chainsaw.

A bow saw or pruning saw is perfectly adequate as long as they are sharp (as it will be if bought new). They are also relatively safe to use but obviously wear fairly tough gardening gloves. You will also find long handled loppers useful at times.

Well all I can say is that it's no surprise that the economy is in such a poor state with sensible advice like that being bandied about...

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » September 11th, 2023, 5:33 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
Back to basics. If the only work you are likely to have for whatever saw you use is this shrub, I would not buy any sort of chainsaw.

A bow saw or pruning saw is perfectly adequate as long as they are sharp (as it will be if bought new). They are also relatively safe to use but obviously wear fairly tough gardening gloves. You will also find long handled loppers useful at times.

Well all I can say is that it's no surprise that the economy is in such a poor state with sensible advice like that being bandied about...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

In the Sunday Times yesterday Matthew Syed had an article commenting basically on how difficult it is for a reader to pick up nuances and figures of speech from the written word only (as in say social forums) Many people therefore do not know how to use say irony or whatever in face to face discussion when it is used. I agree.

Dod

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » September 11th, 2023, 6:14 pm

I think going forward, I'd like to prevent my shrubs from getting too tall. It seems to me everything would be more manageable, and safer, if I keep them below fence height. But these things seem to have a huge growth spurt whenever I turn my back on them. Either that or I just don't pay enough attention.

A neighbour the other side of the fence thinks this shrub restricts his light. But he has a tall tree nearby so I think he's a bit inconsistent about things. He'll be pleased when this shrub has gone. TBH I only really started tackling it cos it seemed to be dying.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » September 11th, 2023, 6:22 pm

Second good opinions of pole chainsaws, I have a Titan. Chain a safe way off. Proper helmet with visor a must though, especially for overhead work.

For pruning, get a Silky Zubat, the samaurai sword of pruning saws. I use it every week in my conservation work, and use it up to 6" trees. Scabbard so useful.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 11th, 2023, 6:50 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:

In the Sunday Times yesterday Matthew Syed had an article commenting basically on how difficult it is for a reader to pick up nuances and figures of speech from the written word only (as in say social forums) Many people therefore do not know how to use say irony or whatever in face to face discussion when it is used. I agree.

Apologies Dod - it was a complimentary joke that I hoped my use of the word 'sensible' and the accompanying smiley might have helped to highlight, so sorry if that hasn't been the case.

The OP's initial question has clearly rung a few bells with some fellow 'boy's toys' enthusiasts on this thread, who's contributions to be fair have perhaps been pursued with a slightly wider beneficial remit to the specific one mentioned in the opening post, but you've explained quite sensibly how the focussed bush-pruning task might be adequately tackled using much cheaper and more basic tools.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “The Natural World”