Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Leaves dropping late?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Leaves dropping late?

Postby moorfield » November 7th, 2023, 7:33 am

Is it just me or are the leaves dropping later this year, I'd say roughly a week if not two later than previous years. Normally by fireworks weekend the garden is carpeted, our big walnut has barely shed anything yet.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Leaves dropping late?

Postby BullDog » November 7th, 2023, 7:36 am

More noticeable this week that leaves are falling. Probably now that we have nearer to normal autumn weather than the abnormally warm, less wet recent weather.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 7th, 2023, 8:02 am

Strangely I was thinking the same. Well more of a when is the last garden bin collection cos the leaves will need picking up and I don't want them to fester in the bin all winter.

I'm sure the council will be right on the ball not! if the changing weather delays things.

A bit like military property where the heating is set by a date not the actual temperature outside.

Indian summer have some heating
Minus 6 in September no heat :shock:

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 7th, 2023, 8:09 am

BullDog wrote:More noticeable this week that leaves are falling. Probably now that we have nearer to normal autumn weather than the abnormally warm, less wet recent weather.

I used to spend the month before bonfire night gathering leaves as a lad for the bonfire (when I was a lad :lol: ). Our seasons have shifted. I was only talking about this to my daughter on Sunday as we drove past some trees with their leaves still attached.

October's been a long wet month too. Does anyone else call it Octember :shock:

AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2023, 8:24 am

For leaves to fall it needs a spell of dryish and chilly weather which is fairly typical of our ‘normal’ Autumn. This year it has been mild and damp which is not conducive to leaves drying and falling.

Dod

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » November 7th, 2023, 8:45 am

After the recent storms, I'd have expected the trees to be bare, but they're not. Which suggests to me that there is still some life left in the leaves.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » November 7th, 2023, 8:59 am

We haven't really had any frost to speak of. That usually gets the leaves falling.

I blame Brexit.:-)

TJH

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 7th, 2023, 9:00 am

Tedx wrote:After the recent storms, I'd have expected the trees to be bare, but they're not. Which suggests to me that there is still some life left in the leaves.

It could be that November 5th is moved to a new date of December 5th. But then all those leaves being burned may not be good for our carbon footprint?

Far more seriously am I the only one who is totally fed up with the rain we've had. It's just not stopped. Pigged off with it :roll:

AiY(D)

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 7th, 2023, 9:33 am

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: But then all those leaves being burned may not be good for our carbon footprint?

Carbon neutral?

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » November 7th, 2023, 10:23 am

tjh290633 wrote:We haven't really had any frost to speak of. That usually gets the leaves falling.

Actually... What I originally thought I noticed, only a very few years ago and, through close observation believe I have since confirmed, is that what initially triggers the start of leaves dropping is... post solstice.

Which, if you think about it, makes all the sense in the world. What else would be the initial trigger?

Of course, I am hardly saying all the leaves fall off the trees the very day after the Summer solstice, but that looks to me to be the trigger for the start of the process.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 7th, 2023, 10:39 am

tjh290633 wrote:We haven't really had any frost to speak of. That usually gets the leaves falling.

TJH

I bet I know what initiates leaves falling. I've just forgotten :roll: :lol: .

Can I blame Brexit for that too :roll: . Sorry my bad :oops:

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » November 7th, 2023, 10:42 am

XFool wrote:Actually... What I originally thought I noticed, only a very few years ago and, through close observation believe I have since confirmed, is that what initially triggers the start of leaves dropping is... post solstice.

Which, if you think about it, makes all the sense in the world. What else would be the initial trigger?

Of course, I am hardly saying all the leaves fall off the trees the very day after the Summer solstice, but that looks to me to be the trigger for the start of the process.

This may help?

AiY(D)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 7th, 2023, 2:30 pm

moorfield wrote:Is it just me or are the leaves dropping later this year, I'd say roughly a week if not two later than previous years. Normally by fireworks weekend the garden is carpeted, our big walnut has barely shed anything yet.

Leaf drop is very late here. Most trees have not even coloured. Some trees are more temperature sensitive - oak for example - whereas some such as ash respond more to day length. This effect is more pronounced in spring, whereas now the temperature and availability of moisture in the soil is important.

Leaves... should never be burned. Quite apart from the modern consideration of releasing the carbon, they are an invaluable soil conditioner. If there is no room in your compost heap, put them in black bags, ensuring they are moist, and just leave them to rot down. Only the most anti-social non-gardener burns their leaves.

V8

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » November 7th, 2023, 6:18 pm

TJH

I don't think Brexit is the reason.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » November 8th, 2023, 12:04 am

88V8 wrote:
moorfield wrote:Is it just me or are the leaves dropping later this year, I'd say roughly a week if not two later than previous years. Normally by fireworks weekend the garden is carpeted, our big walnut has barely shed anything yet.

Leaf drop is very late here. Most trees have not even coloured. Some trees are more temperature sensitive - oak for example - whereas some such as ash respond more to day length. This effect is more pronounced in spring, whereas now the temperature and availability of moisture in the soil is important.

Leaves... should never be burned. Quite apart from the modern consideration of releasing the carbon, they are an invaluable soil conditioner. If there is no room in your compost heap, put them in black bags, ensuring they are moist, and just leave them to rot down. Only the most anti-social non-gardener burns their leaves.

V8

nearly ... the really anti-social ones blow them to an abritrary point from what they consider their "space" with a crappy 2-stroke device at stupid o'clock

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » November 8th, 2023, 1:16 am

88V8 wrote:Leaves... should never be burned. Quite apart from the modern consideration of releasing the carbon, they are an invaluable soil conditioner. If there is no room in your compost heap, put them in black bags, ensuring they are moist, and just leave them to rot down. Only the most anti-social non-gardener burns their leaves.

I like to reuse the organic matter I generate, I have a stick pile for the critters to live in, thicker branches dry in the conservatory and are used in the log burner, thinner longer are for plant supports, sticks and twigs are shredded to top dress the beds or get composted.
At a previous house I bagged up my leaves to rot down for the black gold that leaf mould apparently is for gardeners. Loads more trees and lawns than I have now, they took years. I tried specific loose weave jute bags because I thought the plastic bags with holes in them didn't have enough air and moisture flow so that was why they were taking too long; I think 4 or 5 years before I felt they were ready. Now, I leave them on the beds or gather them with grass clippings when I mow in the autumn and mix with the general compost but I don't have many deciduous trees dumping onto my lawn now.

There's an angling club round our way that vacuums the leaves that untidy the paths to and from the carpark and the fishing. They also have a remote control brush cutter, like a ride on mower but the operator walks behind it - presumably in case the driver were to accidentally drive into the lake. There must be money in angling.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » November 8th, 2023, 8:27 am

servodude wrote:
88V8 wrote:Leaf drop is very late here. Most trees have not even coloured. Some trees are more temperature sensitive - oak for example - whereas some such as ash respond more to day length. This effect is more pronounced in spring, whereas now the temperature and availability of moisture in the soil is important.

V8

nearly ... the really anti-social ones blow them to an abritrary point from what they consider their "space" with a crappy 2-stroke device at stupid o'clock

I find it best to use the blower to blow the leaves off the tree and straight into the neighbours garden. Obviously I have to do that at stupid o'clock so I don't get caught.

As for Brexit, it definitely is responsible and for many things. There was even an interview on the BBC with Hamas that cited Brexit as being a major factor in their attack. :shock: :lol:

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » November 8th, 2023, 11:33 am

servodude wrote:
88V8 wrote:b] Only the most anti-social non-gardener burns their leaves.[/b]

Yes... the chap up the lane, an emphatic non-gardener who bought a place with half an acre and many trees, I have at least convinced him not to burn them, but already he's been out with his two-stroke noise maker blowing the leaves off his frontage and over the lane :(

kempiejon wrote:At a previous house I bagged up my leaves to rot down for the black gold that leaf mould apparently is for gardeners. Loads more trees and lawns than I have now, they took years. I tried specific loose weave jute bags because I thought the plastic bags with holes in them didn't have enough air and moisture flow so that was why they were taking too long; I think 4 or 5 years before I felt they were ready.

In our previous house I made a separate slatted wooden bin for leaves, about 6x3' and 3' high to which I could add another row to make it 4'. In there. most leaves rotted down in a year, the exception being walnut which seemed particularly tough, more like two years.
I think the key to rotting is moisture, same as for general compost. Before bagging the leaves, they need to be wet.
Then nature will do its thing.
Dry leaves will mummify, like King Tut, but less golden.

V8

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » December 3rd, 2023, 5:59 pm

The leaves may have dropped late but they are all down now, always by the first December weekend. Winter has arrived. :cry:

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » December 3rd, 2023, 6:04 pm

Yep, minus 6 again today.....but very pretty all the same. A brisk walk to the beach for a warm up, followed by a visit to to the cafe for coffee and cake and a brisk walk home for Man City v Spurs.

A perfect Sunday really.

Return to “The Natural World”