Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Salute to an old apple tree

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Salute to an old apple tree

Postby bungeejumper » March 27th, 2017, 4:33 pm

On Saturday we bid a sad farewell to a 130-year-old apple tree, one of about 28 'originals' in our Victorian garden. (We still have all but four of the others, and most of them are still fruiting well. Not bad!)

This particular tree had been looking a bit manky for several years, and a great chunk of the bark had rotted off - and when I eventually cut it, the entire core of the trunk was so soft that I could push my fingers into the mush at the centre. If I were perfectly honest I'd also say that it was 'in the way' of a path that we wanted to open up - and that the apples were always horrible! :lol:

But hey, the Victorians would grow any kind of fruit that would store safely through the winter and then provide vitamin C for the family through until April or May. For them, taste was a minor sophistication. The fact that it came in a format like a cricket ball that had to be boiled for three hours before your gut could process it was, for them, a minor inconvenience. No Chilean Granny Smiths or Golden Disgustings in those days....

But anyway. We declared a small vote of thanks to the first designer of the garden (whose name we happen to know), and then we cut the rotted tree down to a 9 inch stump and tipped the sawn trunk into the back of the bushes, where it'll harbour creepy crawlies and the occasional hedgehog for many years to come. My good sir, we salute you.

The story might not be over, of course. What's the betting that the stump will now sprout back from the base and give another 130 years? :D

BJ

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Salute to an old apple tree

Postby sg31 » March 28th, 2017, 8:20 pm

bungeejumper wrote: No Chilean Granny Smiths or Golden Disgustings in those days....

The story might not be over, of course. What's the betting that the stump will now sprout back from the base and give another 130 years? :D

BJ

Golden Disgusting? They were never my favourite apple but they can be absolutely wonderful.

One day I was parked in a little Sussex town and as I was loading my car a woman who's car was parked next to mine returned to her vehicle. We chatted for a few moments as one does in these situations and she asked me if I would like some apples. Odd thing to do really but she explained that a friend had visited who grew apples commercially in Kent, he'd brought her a big box full of apples, far too many for her to use so she was trying to give them away rather than waste them.

I accepted a few and eventually we parted and I set off home. After I'd gone a few miles I thought I'd try one of the apples which were very large Golden Delicious. It was absolutely gob smackingly wonderful. I can honestly say it was the most wonderful apple I've ever tasted, nothing like the bland things you buy in the shops.

A chance encounter completely changed my view of what apples should taste like. Life is strange sometimes.

As for the apple tree stump re-growing I would think it is highly likely unless you have coated it with stump killer. Old apple trees can live through just about anything. I've got a Bramley in my garden that has just had major surgery because of rot and die back. It has been butchered but it still sent out vigorous new growth.

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 28th, 2017, 10:11 pm

sg31 wrote:As for the apple tree stump re-growing I would think it is highly likely unless you have coated it with stump killer. Old apple trees can live through just about anything. I've got a Bramley in my garden that has just had major surgery because of rot and die back. It has been butchered but it still sent out vigorous new growth.

Note though that if it's a grafted tree, any regrowth from the stump below the graft will be of the rootstock. In fact, given what the OP says about the tree's apples being horrible, I wonder whether it already had regrown from the rootstock on some earlier occasion...

Gengulphus

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 29th, 2017, 1:04 am

FredBloggs wrote:Would it be grafted root stock if it is more than 130 years old? I have no idea when that became common practice.

...We don’t know who first discovered grafting but we do know that the Chinese and the Babylonians were both grafting plants more than 3,000 years ago. ... Cato the Elder first described the grafting process in his “De Agricultura,” written in the second century bce ... by the first millennium bce the cultivation and enjoyment of apples was considered essential to civilized life.
http://www.salon.com/2011/10/25/how_the ... he_planet/

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » March 29th, 2017, 8:55 am

Would it be grafted root stock if it is more than 130 years old? I have no idea when that became common practice.

Oh, indeed, the Victorians used dwarfing rootstocks, often from completely different species to the ones they were grafting into them. They probably weren't as good as modern rootstocks, but heck, 130 years is pretty good.

In fact most of our troubles have been with the trees grown on standard rootstocks - you can't pick a lot of apples from a tree that's 30 feet high, and woe betide you if they land on your poor old bonce from that sort of height. Especially when hard and unripe! We often felt the need for a crash helmet in the herbaceous borders, before we took them down to a mere 16 feet or so. :)

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 29th, 2017, 3:26 pm

FredBloggs wrote:Slightly off topic but those apple cores that get thrown through the car windows on the motorway (especially roundabouts) seem to crop exceedingly well ...

...and some of them may be undiscovered gems. Most seeds produce plants broadly similar to their parents, with a small genetic difference that allows for gradual adaption to new conditions.

The apple says 'Hey, how about we go for something completely different next time'...
...apples are an example of "extreme heterozygotes", in that rather than inheriting DNA from their parents to create a new apple with those characteristics, they are instead significantly different from their parents...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple#Breeding

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gengulphus » March 29th, 2017, 6:21 pm

Breelander wrote:
FredBloggs wrote:Slightly off topic but those apple cores that get thrown through the car windows on the motorway (especially roundabouts) seem to crop exceedingly well ...

...and some of them may be undiscovered gems. ...

The relevant characteristics of a gem of course being a combination of good looks and little food value! ;-)

Gengulphus

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 29th, 2017, 6:50 pm

Gengulphus wrote:The relevant characteristics of a gem of course being a combination of good looks and little food value! ;-)

:lol: as indeed most of the hedgrow seedlings turn out to be. Only once in a blue moon is a delicious new 'Pippin' found.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 30th, 2017, 2:06 pm

FredBloggs wrote:A nice story and I'm sure the creepy crawlies and hedgehogs are very grateful. (Of course, the warmists amongst up may complain about the methane emissions as the tree gently rots away). Were it myself, I'd feel compelled to plant maybe another five sapling apple trees in its place to hopefully see through the next 100+ years in the orchard.

Trees rot. So long as something green eventually grows in place (starting with things that grow nearby and creep/spread over something solid), that's part of nature, and fully in balance. Not a problem for the atmosphere.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Trees rot...

Oaks seem to do it deliberately, reduces weight and lets them stand for longer...

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » March 30th, 2017, 7:30 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Trees rot...

Oaks seem to do it deliberately, reduces weight and lets them stand for longer...

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » March 31st, 2017, 12:36 am

FredBloggs wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote:Trees rot. So long as something green eventually grows in place (starting with things that grow nearby and creep/spread over something solid), that's part of nature, and fully in balance. Not a problem for the atmosphere.

I suspect, you may have not detected the irony in my post? Of course it's not a problem!

Indeed. But there are some on here who would have posted that not as irony but as sarcasm, with a Trump-ish Agenda that dismisses science and belittles anyone who cares.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 1st, 2017, 5:58 pm

FredBloggs wrote:
Gengulphus wrote:
sg31 wrote:As for the apple tree stump re-growing I would think it is highly likely unless you have coated it with stump killer. Old apple trees can live through just about anything. I've got a Bramley in my garden that has just had major surgery because of rot and die back. It has been butchered but it still sent out vigorous new growth.

Note though that if it's a grafted tree, any regrowth from the stump below the graft will be of the rootstock. In fact, given what the OP says about the tree's apples being horrible, I wonder whether it already had regrown from the rootstock on some earlier occasion...

Gengulphus

Would it be grafted root stock if it is more than 130 years old? I have no idea when that became common practice.

I seem to recall that trees grafted onto dwarfing root stocks crop earlier, but have shorter lives. The more the dwarfing, the shorter the life. Hence, I suspect a 130 year old tree might be on its own roots. Apple trees on their own roots are likely to be big - old pictures of apple picking in the UK and France show men way up tall ladders, so not likely to be grafted. Bramleys on their own roots are big trees, but live a long time - the 200 year old original Bramley still lives in Southwell although reported to be dying from fungus (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-no ... e-36826038).

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » April 1st, 2017, 6:26 pm

I forgot to add, that if it was my tree, I would get the stump ground out to deter honey fungus, to which old apple trees are rather prone I believe.

Halicarnassus
Lemon Slice

Postby Halicarnassus » April 19th, 2017, 5:18 am

Interesting thread. I'm slowly making my way through Woodlands by Oliver Rackham and finding out all about pollarding and coppicing and how the life of trees can be extended almost indefinitely. :o

Return to “The Natural World”