Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Caring for an orchid

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Caring for an orchid

Postby Rhyd6 » April 9th, 2024, 9:28 am

I've been given an orchid in a tall glass container. The orchid is planted in what seems to be bark, there are no instructions on watering etc. and I have no idea how to take care of it. Any help gratefully received.

R6

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Caring for an orchid

Postby kempiejon » April 9th, 2024, 9:41 am

I'v killed those types of orchids. I think th instruction I was given not much water, ideally rain water, mist. But who'
d follow my advice, with my history of accidental orchidcide.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 9th, 2024, 9:59 am

My mother is the only person I know who fails to kill orchids. She says she gives them one tablespoon of water per week.

Scott.

gpadsa
2 Lemon pips

Postby gpadsa » April 9th, 2024, 10:02 am

If it's a moth orchid I think this gives good advice: https://www.rhs.org.uk/shows-events/virtual-chelsea/saturday/orchid-society-of-great-britain
The orchids you buy in garden centres, nurseries and even in supermarkets have been bred to be houseplants. They love a windowsill that doesn’t get full sun in the summer. Water weekly under a tap, running tepid water through the pot for 30 seconds, then allow the container to drain. You don’t need to spray the leaves with mist, provide a humidifier or use gravel trays – the plant you're buying is a hundred generations of selective breeding away from anything that once needed that level of care because it grew in a tropical tree on the coast of the Indian Ocean.

gpadsa

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 9th, 2024, 10:41 am

swill453 wrote:My mother is the only person I know who fails to kill orchids. She says she gives them one tablespoon of water per week.

Scott.

We've got three orchids and I know nothing about how to care for them. Had them for years, they might get a drop of water occasionally if they are lucky, and they just keep flowering. The flowers drop off after a few months, then after another month or two they start flowering again. They seem pretty well indestructable

--kiloran

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » April 9th, 2024, 12:00 pm

Mine has two 500mm supported stems from one poly pot. The stems flower alternately.
It is watered every day, lives on a windowsill just above a radiator and facing afternoon sun.
It is now nearly three years old and a third stem is sprouting.
'Tis a happy orchid!

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » April 9th, 2024, 12:03 pm

What kiloran said. :D Most orchids are epiphytes, which mean that they reside in trees and don't have a reliable water supply. We have about four, and they thrive on neglect. In fact you can drown them by watering too much.

Ours don't like direct sunlight. I've read somewhere that they like a touch of orchid fertiliser in the spring and summer. I'm sure we've got a bottle somewhere, but I don't think we've ever opened it?

BJ

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » April 9th, 2024, 12:16 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:I've been given an orchid in a tall glass container. The orchid is planted in what seems to be bark, there are no instructions on watering etc. and I have no idea how to take care of it. Any help gratefully received.

Saying you have an "orchid" is like saying you have an "animal" - the best conditions vary dramatically depending what sort you have. The most common ones are moth orchids, Phalenopsis, which have a rosette of broad leaves at the bottom and off-white fleshy "roots" - they don't like direct sun and really don't like the lack of humidity in most modern houses. A relative has one that's very happy in a north-facing window of a utility room that is only heated indirectly by air coming from the kitchen next door, on a gravel tray kept topped up with water to maintain humidity. They do get tired and benefit enormously from being repotted when they do - we stay with the recommendation to use a transparent pot but I don't know how criticial that is.

Cymbidium are the other common one, which have lots of strap-like leaves like Crocosmia or something - they are much more tolerant of warmth or low humidity (without going crazy, a bedroom is ideal) but do appreciate being put outside over the summer, they need to feel the seasons. They're much more needy about being fed.

I'll put a shout out for Dendrobium, which are less common but make cute little plants that flower really reliably and are more forgiving of modern houses.

Return to “The Natural World”