Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Crab apple, advice please

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
granretire
2 Lemon pips

Crab apple, advice please

Postby granretire » April 9th, 2017, 1:41 pm

I would like a crab apple tree for my garden that has deep red/purple leaves - especially in the autumn. Preferably slow growing as my garden is fairly small. I think that Profusion or Royalty might fit the bill, but I am open to any other suggestions. I would also like recommendations for where to purchase it. I do not want to spend much - say a limit of £20 - which suggested that I would be better ordering a bare-rooted plant in the autumn

fuiseog

Re: Crab apple, advice please

Postby fuiseog » April 10th, 2017, 11:17 am

Malus Rudolph is one of my favourites.

It's not truly red leaved, with leaves emerging purple/reddish in spring and fading into green as summer progresses. Flowers are showy pink followed by an abundance of dark red cherry-size fruits persisting until late December/early January.

It's fairly disease resistant. Many ornamental apple cultivars (e.g. Golden Hornet, John Downie) are very prone to leaf diseases (powdery mildew, scab) which can result in premature foliage loss in August.

It's a medium size growing tree with a fairly upright habit so suitable for a smaller garden. Of course ultimate size depends on the rootstock. I'm not familiar with what is commonly sold in the retail sector but the chances are that it will be MM106, again tending to produce medium size.

Here is a reliable description (or search the RHS site):

http://www.frankpmatthews.com/catalogue/malus/10133

Because it fruits are suitable for culinery purposes it can be sold VAT exempt.

fuiseog

Return to “The Natural World”