Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Unknown Plant

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Unknown Plant

Postby JohnnyCyclops » August 12th, 2017, 8:04 am

I thought I'd quickly try TLF gardeners for this one. We discovered a new plant (photos below) in the border last autumn. It was then about 20 inches high, single stem and when looked down from vertically above the leaves were in a cross (plus sign) pattern, each pair of leaves opposite each other, and alternating 90 degrees with each new pair of leaves up the stem. We've no idea where it came from. It's a foot away from the neighbour's garden (6ft fence) so might be something that's come across or self-seeded.

At four feet it started branching. It's now six foot and seems to have stopped vertical growth, and has developed smaller elongated heart-shaped leaves, and 'balls' (in three 'segments') of what looked like flower buds, but they never seemed to open (or might just be new leaves forming). The leaves are waxy to the touch, and it appears evergreen (grew through last winter).

I'm a wee bit worried it's some sort of invasive species and should really be pulled out. That said, if it's a 'good' plant, we'll keep it as it's a lovely and distinctive foliage. I'm just curious what it might be.

Thanks in advance
John

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Re: Unknown Plant

Postby madhatter » August 12th, 2017, 1:42 pm

It looks like one of the spurges to me.
(Euphorbia) They have similar looking globular 3 lobed "flowers" but in my wildflower books none of them seem to be more than 3 feet tall, and most less than two feet!

There are non native varieties however, and some are shrubs which can grow much larger. At a quick glance I didn't see any that looked like yours though.

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » August 12th, 2017, 8:35 pm

madhatter wrote:It looks like one of the spurges to me.
(Euphorbia) They have similar looking globular 3 lobed "flowers" but in my wildflower books none of them seem to be more than 3 feet tall, and most less than two feet!

There are non native varieties however, and some are shrubs which can grow much larger. At a quick glance I didn't see any that looked like yours though.

Ahh, yes, Euphorbia. Certainly has some similar characteristics. We'll follow-up on that lead, thank you.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » August 13th, 2017, 11:11 am

It does look rather like a euphorbia. Try checking whether it has milky sap, a good indication that it is a euphorbia.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Postby Breelander » August 13th, 2017, 12:16 pm

malkymoo wrote:Try checking very carefully whether it has milky sap that burns the mouth or eyes, a good indication that it is a euphorbia.

Fixed that for you. Don't get the sap on your fingers, it is too easy to spread from there to the mouth or eyes with a brush of the hand (I speak from experience).

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Postby malkymoo » August 13th, 2017, 1:23 pm

Yes, I should have included a health warning.

Consulting the invaluable W Keble Martin leads me to believe it may be a Caper Spurge, Euphorbia lathyris.

This account:
https://www.wyevalegardencentres.co.uk/ ... er-spurge/
suggests it may be best to pull it up, due irritating sap and rapid spread by seeds.

JohnnyCyclops
Lemon Slice

Postby JohnnyCyclops » August 13th, 2017, 8:48 pm

Breelander wrote:
malkymoo wrote:Try checking very carefully whether it has milky sap that burns the mouth or eyes, a good indication that it is a euphorbia.

Fixed that for you. Don't get the sap on your fingers, it is too easy to spread from there to the mouth or eyes with a brush of the hand (I speak from experience).

Yes, Mrs C looked it up online last night and mentioned the sap part being a bit nasty. I'll try not to eat it or rub it on my face :-)

I did 'pop' one of the balls open a few weeks ago just to see what was in it, but don't recall any sap from that part of the plant.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » August 13th, 2017, 9:08 pm

Annoyingly, the Caper spurge is in one of my books and the illustration on the plate is quite a good drawing of the leaf, but it gave the size as 1 to 3 feet so I dismissed it and didn't look for the plate to check.

They say of it: " extremely local in woods on chalk or limestone in England and Wales; an occasional weed of gardens and waste places."

Return to “The Natural World”