Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Vet Prescription

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Vet Prescription

Postby Rhyd6 » August 16th, 2017, 4:18 pm

My friend took her dog to the vet with a pulled muscle and he supplied her with 10ml of Loxicom at a charge of £59.95. I've found the same medicine on the web for £2.98 but it does require a vets prescription. Has anyone any experience of obtaining such a prescription from a vet, are they likely to be awkward about it. My friend lives near Stoke and her vets practice has recently been taken over by one of these mushrooming conglomerates which seem to be buying up private practices left right and centre. She's a pensioner and is somewhat miffed at the price they charged her but doesn't like to make a fuss. Any suggestions?

R6

midnightcatprowl
Lemon Slice

Re: Vet Prescription

Postby midnightcatprowl » August 18th, 2017, 8:17 pm

I was in my vet surgery tonight and there displayed on the counter was a notice about this very issue!

My vets is an independent practice but I got the impression from the wording of this notice that it was guidance/policy from some official body or other.

It was a long notice but the gist of it was:

you are entitled to a prescription if you want one after the vet has advised that a medication of some sort is required and you can have that prescription made up at another vets or by another organisation/business which supplies vet medicines requiring a prescription. There are however some exceptions as follows:

when the animal is being treated as an in-patient** and/or when treatment is needed as an emergency;

prescriptions can only be issued by vets who have actually examined the animal i.e. you can't walk into a vet surgery and just demand a prescription without paying for the vet to actually see and assess the animal;

where repeat prescriptions are required the vet can only supply these for a period of three months without re-examining and re-assessing the animal. The notice then said that at 'this' (i.e. my) practice the cost of that re-examination/re-assessment would be £xx.xx

Seemed quite clear and also quite reasonable to me. N.B. the reason I put a ** after the word 'in-patient' is that it was quite a long notice and I was trying to read it, choose something, pay for something and talk to the receptionist simultaneously. My impression of the meaning was that vets would not automatically refuse to use 'your' vet medicine if the animal was an in-patient but it was a question of expediency, so if Fido took regular vet approved (but not necessarily dispensed by that vet practice) medication and you handed it over when Fido was admitted they'd carry on giving it to Fido but if other things were required during the admission you couldn't expect the vets to fiddle about waiting for you to provide the stuff they needed. Please be aware that this is my possibly extreme over-interpretation of what the notice said but I think the meaning was something along those lines.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 18th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Thanks MCP. I shall pass this on to my friend as the vet has already said that the dog might need a further prescription. I know we all love our animals to bits but sometimes the charges come as a helluva shock especially when your normal vets practive gets taken over and the charges quadruple overnight.

R6

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 19th, 2017, 12:37 pm

Yes, a friend buys her cat's thyroid pills over the internet at about a third of the vet's price, and he's confirmed that he's quite happy to oblige. I think he's charging a fiver or so for the prescriptions, though, and he wants to see the cat in person every six months or so. (Oh yes, a cat is considered a person around these parts. :lol: )

BJ

hermit100
Lemon Pip

Postby hermit100 » August 31st, 2017, 11:12 am

My vet charges about £14 for a prescription (outrageously expensive but still often cheaper to get the 'scrip. and order the meds online) and yes the vet has to give you a prescription if you ask for one, with caveats as described above.

Loxicom is not expensive, was the £59 charge just for the meds (if so that is a ridiculous mark-up) or did that include a consult fee as well?

Return to “The Natural World”