Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Picking unripe chillis?

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Picking unripe chillis?

Postby bungeejumper » July 8th, 2018, 4:13 pm

I've been reading that you can pick chillis when they're full-sized but still green, for ripening off the plant. And that this practice gives the plants an incentive to set more flowers and to grow more chillis. I know that some of us here are chilli fiends, and would be grateful to hear what other Fools do?

I have about 25 Inferno chillis on the plants at the moment (although that's actually a misnomer, because they're only about 7,000 Scovilles), and they're all four inches mong and pale green at present - they will turn red eventually. Plus a similar number of jalapenos (10,000 to 15,000 Scovilles), two to three inches in length and still dark green in colour. Whaddaya think?

BJ

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Re: Picking unripe chillis?

Postby Urbandreamer » July 8th, 2018, 5:55 pm

This reminds me of the story of a man buying pepper seeds (sweet). He asked for seeds for red and green, yet recieved the same two packets. Surely this must be a mistake! No, just pick them earlier the shop keeper said.

Likewise,those of a certain generation can recall their parents ripening things on a window ledge.

However my experience it's not the best way to go. Instead of attempting to ripen the green chillies, freeze them to be used as green chillies.
As advised, removing chillies early will encourage more flowers and more productions.

Return to “The Natural World”