Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Ideas for communal planters

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
bitstrange

Ideas for communal planters

Postby bitstrange » October 16th, 2017, 6:26 pm

Hi all,

On my small residential estate, the local council has provided two planters of about 1m^3, for community planting purposes. I am not in the least bit green fingered, but somehow I've ended up taking the lead on being responsible for these. They turned up about a week ago and have some kind of soil or compost in them, so they're ready for stuff to be planted in them.

Would anyone have any suggestions for what we could start planting at this time of year? Given the general lack of interest from other residents, and my complete lack of knowledge, I'd like to start with something simple, which hopefully requires relatively little maintenance. Also, I'd be keen to plant something now, because I'm worried that if they remain plant-less, they'll become receptacles for rubbish and cigarette butts. I was hoping to have something bee/bug-friendly, but also need to make sure that there's nothing poisonous or anything, as they're close to a children's playground. I honestly don't know where to start, particularly as this seems like a terrible time of year to be planting things. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks,

Est

oldapple
2 Lemon pips

Re: Ideas for communal planters

Postby oldapple » October 16th, 2017, 8:02 pm

It might depend on a budget Bitstrange, but this link to RHS and ideas for winter planting might help. Now is the time for bulb planting and what is available in many shops will give you an idea of what to plant under other plants.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=584

There are an awful lot of books and magazines, but googling is just as good a way to get ideas. Some newspapers often have seasonal gardening ideas too. Simple is often best and easiest to look after, variegated ivy, cyclamen, daffodil, snowdrop bulbs, some of those grasses look lovely though I've not tried them yet.

Best of luck, you'll be a pro in no time. Maybe Monty Don will be worth watching on TV (Gardeners' World), and Youtube is a mine of information too.

Return to “The Natural World”