Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Chafer beetles

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
garfsuncle
Lemon Pip

Chafer beetles

Postby garfsuncle » October 30th, 2017, 5:47 pm

Our garden, like several others in the neighbourhood, is infested with chafer beetles. We have tried getting rid of them using nematodes to little effect so far. Not only are these pests under the grass, but my wife has now discovered them in her plant pots! How would they have got into them? Squirrels? Birds?

It has been suggested that there are varying kinds of these beetles, and that ours are of a type resistant to nematodes. I have photos of the little bu66ers, but I have no idea how to post them on here. Is there some way of doing so using the Img box above?

Can anyone suggest an effective means of exterminating them?

Alan

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chafer beetles

Postby Clitheroekid » November 1st, 2017, 12:55 am

garfsuncle wrote:I have photos of the little bu66ers, but I have no idea how to post them on here. Is there some way of doing so using the Img box above?

This post from gaggsy may help:

Gaggsy wrote:I think this is how I did it:-

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/flickr/sln15714.html

follow instructions there
i.e.
Getting the photo URL

You can get the URL of your own images on Flickr.

Click on the photo you want to share to open it.
Click the Download icon Downward arrow.
Click View all sizes.
Select the size of photo you want.
Right-click the image | select Copy image URL.

Then in your post, put the cursor at the position you want to put your picture and click on the Img button (above the text box - 9th from left). Paste your URL between the tags
]url here[

Gengulphus
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chafer beetles

Postby Gengulphus » November 3rd, 2017, 12:15 am

Clitheroekid wrote:This post from gaggsy may help:

Gaggsy wrote:I think this is how I did it:-
Then in your post, put the cursor at the position you want to put your picture and click on the Img button (above the text box - 9th from left). Paste your URL between the tags
]url here[

An alternative you may find more memorable, as essentially "put the image where you want it, then tell the software it is an image":

Paste the URL at the position you want to put your image.
Select the URL you've just pasted and then click on the Img button.

And either way, pay attention to TLF's rules about embedded images (i.e. ones that appear directly in your post, rather than requiring a link to be clicked to see them). They're in app.php/rules, 2nd section, 7th bullet point, and they're pretty easy for photographs you took: you do own such photographs, so all you need to do is say that you own the one you're posting, close to it so that a moderator who can see it can also easily see your statement of ownership.

Gengulphus

Return to “The Natural World”