Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Ermine

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Ermine

Postby Rhyd6 » December 15th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Wow - for the first time in my life I've seen one. I knew that we had stoats in the old wall of what used to be the pigsty but when we lived in the house we couldn't see the pigsty and only occasionally caught a glimpse of a stoat or as reported on the Old Fool, saw one in pursuit of a rabbit. Now we've moved into the old barn we've got a garden room/conservatory and are able to sit and watch the wildlife in comfort and today we saw an ermine. OH tried to take a photograph but not very successfully as every time it caught the slightest hint of movement it vanished. I'm chuffed to mint balls, this experience can only be bettered if and when the otters return to the duck pond.

R6

sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Ermine

Postby sg31 » December 24th, 2017, 5:00 pm

Hi Rhyd6, isn't an ermine just a stoat in it's white winter coat? The latin name of the stoat is Mustela ermine.

I've been fortunate enough to see them in both outfits a few time and it's always a thrill. I watched one hunting in the snow a few years ago, I was fishing on one bank of a small river and it was on the opposite bank. It didn't have a clue that I was there so I was able watch it for about 10 or 15 minutes. I don't know exactly how long because I daren't move to look at my watch.

Return to “The Natural World”