Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Daffodils

wildlife, gardening, environment, Rural living, Pets and Vets
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Daffodils

Postby scotia » January 16th, 2019, 3:01 pm

First sighting of daffodils in flower today. Central Scotland on a disused railway path, south facing bank, close to stables. I think in the past the horses have fertilised the bank - so it is probably a hot bed!

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 31st, 2020, 11:12 am

scotia wrote:On a south facing slope, where a stables had effectively created a hot bed by dumping their muck, daffodils have been seen blooming north of the Antonine wall for well over a week.

And I can confirm that they are once again blooming in January 2020.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » January 31st, 2020, 1:57 pm

Plenty of snowdrops to cheer us up here in Flintshire but nary a daff to be seen. A few shoots about 2 inches high and plenty of leaves on my hardy fuchsias but other than a mahonia flowering it's socks off there's no sign of anything colourful.

R6

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 31st, 2020, 2:13 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Plenty of snowdrops to cheer us up here in Flintshire but nary a daff to be seen. A few shoots about 2 inches high and plenty of leaves on my hardy fuchsias but other than a mahonia flowering it's socks off there's no sign of anything colourful.

R6

Not aware of any up yet here in the 'Diff either. Although I did buy some leeks yesterday.

DM

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » January 31st, 2020, 11:30 pm

Snowdrops in bloom on the lawn on 14th January but not yet daffodils. Have heard a few song thrushes since last week and there are now two non-fighting robins sometimes within a foot of each other. Saw a Great Tit looking into a nest box but it didn’t enter.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » February 1st, 2020, 6:28 pm

daffs and crocus coming out in pembrokeshire .

:D

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » February 1st, 2020, 6:45 pm

I have 3 clumps of snowdrops about to flower in mid-Sussex. Also one yellow crocus in flower.

TJH

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » January 17th, 2021, 5:06 pm

scotia wrote:
scotia wrote:On a south facing slope, where a stables had effectively created a hot bed by dumping their muck, daffodils have been seen blooming north of the Antonine wall for well over a week.

And (almost) in January 2021

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 13th, 2021, 9:48 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:I hate daffodils.... no idea why, some unpleasant associations?
And I'm Anglo-Welsh too

Probably an association with Wordsworth from schooldays, all that wandering "lonely as a cloud, that floats on high o'er vales and hills" has likely sunk into your subconscious, having myself been forced to learn it in S1 it accordingly never appealed even when studying Wordsworth at university, frankly I was fine with "The Prelude" but he really out to have kept that particular ditty to himself.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » March 13th, 2021, 9:58 pm

scotia wrote:
scotia wrote:

Impressive, mine are still only about 6 inches high (Edinburgh) and likely a fair few weeks from any flowers.

My main wonder at the moment is what on earth has happened to my strawberries, half look like they have expired, I am pondering whether replacements now need purchased ,and last year's planting of two Jasmine are also looking a touch sickly, there are also a few gaps in my rockery which must have been the slugs and snails and birds look like they have been stripping two of the five Diamond Azaleas that also were added last year. On the plus point plant orders have now been sorted with replacement /additional species, Lobelia to replace the gap caused by the 5-0 victory for the snails against last year's six Hostas.

Gardening in a walled garden is not a hobby, it is more like a war of attrition.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » April 13th, 2021, 3:23 pm

Just to update, first full flower opened yesterday, though head is still a touch on the droopy side,

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » April 13th, 2021, 3:42 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
scotia wrote:
scotia wrote:And I can confirm that they are once again blooming in January 2020.

Impressive, mine are still only about 6 inches high (Edinburgh) and likely a fair few weeks from any flowers.

My main wonder at the moment is what on earth has happened to my strawberries, half look like they have expired, I am pondering whether replacements now need purchased ,and last year's planting of two Jasmine are also looking a touch sickly, there are also a few gaps in my rockery which must have been the slugs and snails and birds look like they have been stripping two of the five Diamond Azaleas that also were added last year. On the plus point plant orders have now been sorted with replacement /additional species, Lobelia to replace the gap caused by the 5-0 victory for the snails against last year's six Hostas.

Gardening in a walled garden is not a hobby, it is more like a war of attrition.

Update: Re Jasmine, cut back, lifted and potted them into full sun, one certainly out of intensive care other looks like it may also make it.

The Hosta issue had me searching for shade loving slug repelling plant species, an order for Aquilegia, Astantia, Monarda and Astible has now been placed with Lavender another possible if I can source some.

Birds still an issue, we currently have two older and two younger pigeons , neighbour's bird feeder seems to attract them, two are very plump so suspect they may be the ones snacking in my garden. Neighbour used to have two cats which deterred but they now have two large puppies which are useless and keep starting tunnels into mine from next door and do nothing re the birds (And Mr and Mrs Urban Fox have now not been seen for a week, they usually walk along the tops of the very high walls we have, obviously slacking with their pigeon scaring duties)

First seeds now sown but I need more seed tray space, bit of DIY with the raised frame to create a further shelf nearer the ground will get me three more trays, after that the summerhouse is the only possible, Two West having a small seed tray shelf that looks promising.

As for potatoes, still not arrived, nor their pots, I really would like to have them chitting so starting to get a touch annoyed.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotia » April 13th, 2021, 10:33 pm

While my own daffodils of various varieties are displaying bravely, the past week of frosts has caused great damage to our Camellias and Rhododendrons.
It had been a pleasantly frost free late winter - and both Cilpinense and Praecox Rhodos did well - and their blooms were past before the frost arrived. But the recent frosts have caught the later varieties the opening bud stage and the flowers have been completely browned off. Also the earlier of the camellias is covered in browned-off flowers. I'm hoping that the (even) later varieties of Rhodos which were in a tighter bud stage will not be affected, and the Camellia will continue blooming - although its not a pretty sight at the moment. Its a big bush, so I'll need to get out a ladder if I want to remove the top covering of brown flowers. I'm afraid there will be no blooms on magnolias around our village this year.
And war has been declared on cats and pigeons by my wife - using an impressive water gun. However here was a worrying report on the TV about rats migrating to gardens, since their food sources from from cafes and restaurants in town centres has disappeared. A few days ago my son detected and disposed of one in his (central Scotland) garden.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » April 13th, 2021, 11:39 pm

scotia wrote:And war has been declared on cats and pigeons by my wife - using an impressive water gun. However here was a worrying report on the TV about rats migrating to gardens, since their food sources from from cafes and restaurants in town centres has disappeared. A few days ago my son detected and disposed of one in his (central Scotland) garden.

We have a Border Collie. She's just over a year old. Wise rats will not venture into our garden. The Labradoodle will probably want to play with them :lol:

AiY

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 14th, 2021, 6:48 am

scotia wrote:While my own daffodils of various varieties are displaying bravely, the past week of frosts has caused great damage to our Camellias and Rhododendrons.
It had been a pleasantly frost free late winter - and both Cilpinense and Praecox Rhodos did well - and their blooms were past before the frost arrived. But the recent frosts have caught the later varieties the opening bud stage and the flowers have been completely browned off. Also the earlier of the camellias is covered in browned-off flowers. I'm hoping that the (even) later varieties of Rhodos which were in a tighter bud stage will not be affected, and the Camellia will continue blooming - although its not a pretty sight at the moment. Its a big bush, so I'll need to get out a ladder if I want to remove the top covering of brown flowers. I'm afraid there will be no blooms on magnolias around our village this year.
And war has been declared on cats and pigeons by my wife - using an impressive water gun. However here was a worrying report on the TV about rats migrating to gardens, since their food sources from from cafes and restaurants in town centres has disappeared. A few days ago my son detected and disposed of one in his (central Scotland) garden.

In my previous house plum blossom and magnolias were the two that were susceptible to frost in the spring. The current frosts are not even particularly late, quite common for this time of year; it seems to me that it is the low daytime temperatures that are particularly unusual. I had a camelia in a pot and to counter current conditions I was able to move it inside to a conservatory. In Scotland we are always risking problems with these plants but on a good year when they are able to bloom they (particularly the maganolia which was a vigourous 20/25 foot high tree) was magnificent.

Dod

Return to “The Natural World”