Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Lloyds performance over the last year?

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Re: Lloyds performance over the last year?

Postby flyer61 » April 11th, 2020, 11:23 am

In my eyes the UK banks have been pseudo nationalised. Rishi and Andrew Bailey are the Chairman and CEO respectively. Shareholders are not a priority in fact they are probably not in the first ten things they think about where UK banks are concerned.

If you are going to buy banks look outside the UK or maybe go with HSBC. That being said I own Handelsbanken. As solid as they come, but they have deferred the dividend.

barchid
Lemon Slice

Postby barchid » April 11th, 2020, 12:19 pm

dealtn
I was not asking for investment advice, I was simply asking rhetoric questions

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » April 15th, 2020, 8:30 pm

flyer61 wrote:In my eyes the UK banks have been pseudo nationalised. Rishi and Andrew Bailey are the Chairman and CEO respectively. Shareholders are not a priority in fact they are probably not in the first ten things they think about where UK banks are concerned.

If you are going to buy banks look outside the UK or maybe go with HSBC. That being said I own Handelsbanken. As solid as they come, but they have deferred the dividend.

I hadn't come across Handelsbanken...then I noticed one in town...I've walked past it many many times and didn't notice it!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 15th, 2020, 9:36 pm

flyer61 wrote:In my eyes the UK banks have been pseudo nationalised. Rishi and Andrew Bailey are the Chairman and CEO respectively. Shareholders are not a priority in fact they are probably not in the first ten things they think about where UK banks are concerned.

HSBC is the only bank I have held since 2008/9. A lot of good they have done me and now dividend either.

Dod

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 16th, 2020, 10:45 am

Do Ofcom care about BT shareholders?

Bank regulators have no concern for shareholders, nor for that matter subordinated bond holders. This has always been the case. Bank regulators care about a number of things, but the protection or even the slightest consideration of shareholders is definitely not one of them. That is the job of banks management.

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Postby flyer61 » April 16th, 2020, 6:23 pm

hiriskpaul,

we will have to disagree. For me this was a political decision. The regulator was the messenger.

hiriskpaul
Lemon Quarter

Postby hiriskpaul » April 16th, 2020, 7:52 pm

flyer61 wrote:hiriskpaul,

we will have to disagree. For me this was a political decision. The regulator was the messenger.

What possible reason could this government have for asking banks to hold off on dividend payments? Other than exactly the same reason the PRA has.

Return to “Banking Sector”