Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Summary of where the big banks currently stand, and recent history

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Summary of where the big banks currently stand, and recent history

Postby DiamondEcho » October 7th, 2018, 2:29 pm

I found this article a well written but sobering reminder of the big UK banks recent history. It covers RBS, Lloyds, Barclays, and HSBC.

'Lloyds and RBS back on their feet 10 years after government's bank rescue deal'
https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 06475.html

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Re: Summary of where the big banks currently stand, and recent history

Postby TahiPanasDua » November 18th, 2018, 2:39 am

DiamondEcho wrote:I found this article a well written but sobering reminder of the big UK banks recent history. It covers RBS, Lloyds, Barclays, and HSBC.

'Lloyds and RBS back on their feet 10 years after government's bank rescue deal'
https://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/co ... 06475.html

I found this article to be most interesting and have read it again once or twice. I'm surprised it has not elicited any comment.

I am heavily committed to HSBC for mostly historical expat reasons. To their credit and despite the disastrous acquisition in the US, HSBC were upfront far earlier than most about the coming financial crash. That, together with the dire warnings so eloquently illustrated by Robert Shiller, prompted me to act to mitigate what would have been a truly catastrophic fate. Muchas gracias!

Despite admirable attempts to solidify bank balance sheets, I have noticed a few articles recently implying that banks are up to some of their old tricks again. It may be the nature of the beast that can't be controlled.

TP2

johnhemming
Lemon Quarter

Re: Summary of where the big banks currently stand, and recent history

Postby johnhemming » November 18th, 2018, 2:46 am

Brexit raises a number of uncertainties domestically and Trump does not help, but I think we really need an oil price spike for a bad global recession. I am, however, long on both RBS and Lloyds.

Return to “Banking Sector”