Remove ads

Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
sarahjo
Posts: 49
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142464

Postby sarahjo » May 31st, 2018, 8:34 am

Hello all, I have taken a break from work for a couple of weeks from starting just next week. Looking for recommendations of some must-watch shows and movies on Netflix that i can binge watch all day lying lazy on my bed or couch with my dog.

Please help.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 631
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142469

Postby UncleIan » May 31st, 2018, 8:59 am

Give us a clue!

What sort of things do you like? I mean, there's a fair bit of anime on there, or there was last time I looked, but that's niche.

Still, random things I have watched and enjoyed in no particular order, you never know, you might have the same taste as me...

Series:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Gourmet Samurai
Rita
Stranger Things
Orange is the New Black
Jessica Jones
Detectorists
Pride and Prejudice
Black Mirror
Narcos
Gavin and Stacey
The Office

Just started watching "Happy!", seems okay so far.

That should keep you going for a couple of weeks, or for not very long at all, you know, depending on your taste.

If you watch one thing you enjoy, it'll start recommending stuff to you.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 399
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:32 am
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142477

Postby SalvorHardin » May 31st, 2018, 9:17 am

Here are a few series. I’ve linked to the trailers for each:

The Crown. Fictionalised biographical series about Queen Elizabeth II. Deserves all the plaudits that it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0

The Expanse. Near future science-fiction series where humanity is spreading throughout the solar system. Earth and Mars are on the brink of war whilst the Belters (Asteroid Belt) try to keep out of the way. The show is a mixture of police, exploration, military and power politics. Three series so far, only two on Netflix, it was recently cancelled but then picked up by Amazon for a fourth series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuTAPWJxNo

Damnation. Striking farmers backed by a revolutionary preacher against corrupt bankers in Iowa during the great depression. Only one series was made, it does not end on a cliffhanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6cA7n7Nvs

Timeless. Time travel series where what happens in the past affects the future that our heroes return to. Two series so far, only one on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSYZJGAGvww

Altered Carbon. A depressingly dystopian future where a person’s consciousness is stored in a disc at the base of their skull. Some people can live forever as a result, most can’t. Our hero is brought back after 250 years to investigate the murder of his client (who has been brought back and wants to find out who killed him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Frontier. Canadian drama about the early days of the Hudson’s Bay Company and the conflict over the fur trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5wTsYAh94

Star Trek: Discovery. For those like me who didn’t go much for all the recent Star Trek series, this is very different. Set ten years before the original series, it’s all about the upcoming war against the Klingons. Much darker than the rest of Star Trek, there are characters with serious issues and dark secrets. This isn't the nice Star Trek of The Next Generation; more like Star Trek in the style of Babylon 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA

Narcos. The story of Pablo Escobar, the biggest drug dealer in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7elNhHwgBU

Peaky Blinders. If you missed it on the BBC then Netflix has the first three series. Gangsters in Birmingham in the early 1920s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM12mcTEI88

HBEN
Posts: 39
Joined: May 25th, 2017, 10:46 am
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142530

Postby HBEN » May 31st, 2018, 12:30 pm

Hey you can try with this list https://www.netflixdown.com/netflix-new ... june-2018/ covers all the amazing shows!

sarahjo
Posts: 49
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142532

Postby sarahjo » May 31st, 2018, 12:33 pm

UncleIan wrote:Give us a clue!

What sort of things do you like? I mean, there's a fair bit of anime on there, or there was last time I looked, but that's niche.

Still, random things I have watched and enjoyed in no particular order, you never know, you might have the same taste as me...

Series:
Breaking Bad
Better Call Saul
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Gourmet Samurai
Rita
Stranger Things
Orange is the New Black
Jessica Jones
Detectorists
Pride and Prejudice
Black Mirror
Narcos
Gavin and Stacey
The Office

Just started watching "Happy!", seems okay so far.

That should keep you going for a couple of weeks, or for not very long at all, you know, depending on your taste.

If you watch one thing you enjoy, it'll start recommending stuff to you.


Have watched a few of those before, like Narcos, Stranger Things, Black Mirror and The Office. Tell me about Better Call Saul and Rita? Are they any good?

sarahjo
Posts: 49
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142533

Postby sarahjo » May 31st, 2018, 12:41 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Here are a few series. I’ve linked to the trailers for each:

The Crown. Fictionalised biographical series about Queen Elizabeth II. Deserves all the plaudits that it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWtnJjn6ng0

The Expanse. Near future science-fiction series where humanity is spreading throughout the solar system. Earth and Mars are on the brink of war whilst the Belters (Asteroid Belt) try to keep out of the way. The show is a mixture of police, exploration, military and power politics. Three series so far, only two on Netflix, it was recently cancelled but then picked up by Amazon for a fourth series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQuTAPWJxNo

Damnation. Striking farmers backed by a revolutionary preacher against corrupt bankers in Iowa during the great depression. Only one series was made, it does not end on a cliffhanger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d6cA7n7Nvs

Timeless. Time travel series where what happens in the past affects the future that our heroes return to. Two series so far, only one on Netflix.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSYZJGAGvww

Altered Carbon. A depressingly dystopian future where a person’s consciousness is stored in a disc at the base of their skull. Some people can live forever as a result, most can’t. Our hero is brought back after 250 years to investigate the murder of his client (who has been brought back and wants to find out who killed him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhFM8akm9a4

Frontier. Canadian drama about the early days of the Hudson’s Bay Company and the conflict over the fur trade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2J5wTsYAh94

Star Trek: Discovery. For those like me who didn’t go much for all the recent Star Trek series, this is very different. Set ten years before the original series, it’s all about the upcoming war against the Klingons. Much darker than the rest of Star Trek, there are characters with serious issues and dark secrets. This isn't the nice Star Trek of The Next Generation; more like Star Trek in the style of Babylon 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWnYtyNKPsA

Narcos. The story of Pablo Escobar, the biggest drug dealer in history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7elNhHwgBU

Peaky Blinders. If you missed it on the BBC then Netflix has the first three series. Gangsters in Birmingham in the early 1920s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM12mcTEI88


Hey Salvor, thanks so much for the detailed recommendation.

Except for the Damnation and Expanse have watched all of it. As of for Star Trek I am actually never liked it since it has existed.

If i ask which one to go for Damnation and Expanse what would you suggest.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 399
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:32 am
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142547

Postby SalvorHardin » May 31st, 2018, 1:28 pm

sarahjo wrote:Hey Salvor, thanks so much for the detailed recommendation.

Except for the Damnation and Expanse have watched all of it. As of for Star Trek I am actually never liked it since it has existed.

If i ask which one to go for Damnation and Expanse what would you suggest.

If you're well disposed towards science fiction, I would suggest trying The Expanse first of all. If you prefer historical dramas try Damnation first. It's only 10 episodes. Here are some other shows which I rather like that I've just realised are on Netflix:

Sons of Anarchy. The life of a criminal motorcycle gang based in the small town of Charming, Northern California. In return for keeping their criminal activities outside town limits (and dealing with criminal elements in the town) the sheriff lets them do what they want. The structure of the show closely follows Hamlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9_lvMuYrE

Jack Taylor - Irish private investigator, set in and largely filmed on location in Galway. 9 TV movies. They have been shown on Channel 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joqvGSHHKDs

Person of Interest. A reclusive billionaire created a computer program for the US government which bugs all electronic communications and video feeds in America. Its job is to prevent mass caualty terrorist attacks but it also predicts lesser crimes, usually murders, which he tries to prevent (the government isn't interested in these). He teams up with a burned out former CIA black operations agent. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the fifth and final series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDWSNMTauQ

Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It's the story of Spartacus, the slave revolt and the Third Servile War. A definitely X-rated show, it has more violence and nudity than anything else I've ever seen on TV. John Hannah has a whale of a time playing Batiatus, Spartacus' owner. The show has the look of "300"; most of it was filmed using green screen and the backgrounds were filled in with CGI. It can take a bit of getting used to; for example, the characters have a slightly odd way of speaking because the writers have them speaking English but using a lot of Latin grammar. Netflix has all four series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJiBouML3FQ

UncleIan
Lemon Slice
Posts: 631
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 3:35 pm
Has thanked: 330 times
Been thanked: 231 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142555

Postby UncleIan » May 31st, 2018, 2:29 pm

sarahjo wrote:Have watched a few of those before, like Narcos, Stranger Things, Black Mirror and The Office. Tell me about Better Call Saul and Rita? Are they any good?


Better Call Saul is a prequel to Breaking Bad focussing on the crooked lawyer and how he got to be so.

Rita is a Danish programme about possibly the best teacher in the world. Comedy.

Also, Godless, if you like Westerns, you'll love this. A town where nearly all the men got blown up in a mining accident and how the remaining lassies try and not get ploughed under by a gang.

MaraMan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 107
Joined: November 22nd, 2016, 3:30 pm
Has thanked: 22 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#142616

Postby MaraMan » May 31st, 2018, 6:01 pm

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I would recommend Designated Survivor, particularly season 1.
MM

sarahjo
Posts: 49
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#145381

Postby sarahjo » June 13th, 2018, 8:46 am

MaraMan wrote:Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I would recommend Designated Survivor, particularly season 1.
MM


No, it was not mentioned before. Thanks for the suggestion though. With the name I have this inner feeling it would be worth watching.

sarahjo
Posts: 49
Joined: March 1st, 2017, 8:11 am
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#145383

Postby sarahjo » June 13th, 2018, 8:48 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
sarahjo wrote:Hey Salvor, thanks so much for the detailed recommendation.

Except for the Damnation and Expanse have watched all of it. As of for Star Trek I am actually never liked it since it has existed.

If i ask which one to go for Damnation and Expanse what would you suggest.

If you're well disposed towards science fiction, I would suggest trying The Expanse first of all. If you prefer historical dramas try Damnation first. It's only 10 episodes. Here are some other shows which I rather like that I've just realised are on Netflix:

Sons of Anarchy. The life of a criminal motorcycle gang based in the small town of Charming, Northern California. In return for keeping their criminal activities outside town limits (and dealing with criminal elements in the town) the sheriff lets them do what they want. The structure of the show closely follows Hamlet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr9_lvMuYrE

Jack Taylor - Irish private investigator, set in and largely filmed on location in Galway. 9 TV movies. They have been shown on Channel 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joqvGSHHKDs

Person of Interest. A reclusive billionaire created a computer program for the US government which bugs all electronic communications and video feeds in America. Its job is to prevent mass caualty terrorist attacks but it also predicts lesser crimes, usually murders, which he tries to prevent (the government isn't interested in these). He teams up with a burned out former CIA black operations agent. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the fifth and final series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDWSNMTauQ

Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It's the story of Spartacus, the slave revolt and the Third Servile War. A definitely X-rated show, it has more violence and nudity than anything else I've ever seen on TV. John Hannah has a whale of a time playing Batiatus, Spartacus' owner. The show has the look of "300"; most of it was filmed using green screen and the backgrounds were filled in with CGI. It can take a bit of getting used to; for example, the characters have a slightly odd way of speaking because the writers have them speaking English but using a lot of Latin grammar. Netflix has all four series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJiBouML3FQ


Really glad you came here, Sons of Anarchy and Expanse. Luckily my brother had all the episodes for Sons of Anarchy already. I guess I am now in love with this Harley-Davidson cult.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Slice
Posts: 399
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:32 am
Has thanked: 453 times
Been thanked: 241 times

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#151388

Postby SalvorHardin » July 10th, 2018, 9:29 am

Another Netflix TV series which is worth a try, one that I recently discovered and now dominates my viewing, is "El Ministerio del Tiempo" (aka "The Ministry of Time"), a Spanish series with English subtitles. As its title suggests the series is about a top secret government Ministry which has the power to travel through time. Here time travel is accomplished through doors accessed via a massive staircase underneath the Ministry, each connecting to a specific time. The Ministry watches out for changes to history and sends its agents back through time to correct these in order to protect Spanish history and culture.

The series focuses upon a team of three new recruits:- Alonso, a 16th century expert soldier; Amelia, a 19th century university student (smarter than everyone in her class, including the tutor) and Julián, a present day paramedic.

The series has quite a bit of comedy; such as the running joke centred on the painter Diego Velázquez who works for the Ministry, is obsessed with meeting Picasso and has strong opinions about other famous painters. Alonso likes to quote from his favourite film "The Terminator". The Ministry has a lot of agents in the past, working in their home time period, who sometimes complain about their pay and conditions. In the episode about Salvador Dali (why does one of his paintings now feature a tablet computer?) their contact is a gardner for whom the Ministry is a side job to earn some extra cash.

In this series agents can easily communicate across time through special mobile phones which enable them to make calls and send text messages. Very useful when you're looking to contact agents in a different time (including yourself). Of course it's a bit difficult to explain what you're doing with such a sophisticated piece of technology in medieval Spain, if you're caught with it.

Episodes are about 70 minutes long and it helps to know a bit about Spanish history (or to have Wikipedia ready to look up some of the historical characters). They made 34 episodes over 3 series. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any English subtitled trailers online; below is a link to the Spanish language trailer for series 1 (this focuses heavily upon episode 3 where someone outside the Ministry is trying to give the secret of time travel to the Nazis) - if nothing else it gives you some idea of the look of the show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok6Sa9is54M

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Ministerio_del_Tiempo

There is already a Portuguese language remake being broadcast ("Ministério do Tempo") and I wouldn't be surprised to see an English remake in a couple of years.

nusixpcm
Posts: 1
Joined: July 12th, 2018, 1:11 pm

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#151967

Postby nusixpcm » July 12th, 2018, 1:22 pm

Hello,

Here are shows I've found to be captivating. Maybe your taste varies from mine but maybe you'll find some of them to be decent.

1. Altered Carbon
2. Shameless
3. How To Get Away With Murder
4. Breaking Bad
5. Black Mirror
6. Westworld
7. Orange Is The New Black

Cindal
Posts: 2
Joined: July 19th, 2018, 1:10 pm

Re: Need Recommendations for TV Shows and Movies to Watch on Netflix

#153378

Postby Cindal » July 19th, 2018, 1:14 pm

Im gonna say 13 Reasons Why. If you have watched it. Watch Stranger Things.


Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests