Introducing the LemonFools Personal Finance Calculators

Worst film ever?

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Slice

Worst film ever?

Postby zico » January 11th, 2019, 12:22 am

What's the worst film you've ever seen?

to kick things off, Holmes & Watson is my choice.
I saw first 20 minutes of it a couple of days ago. Incredibly unfunny and dumb comedy.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Worst film ever?

Postby GoSeigen » January 11th, 2019, 7:47 am

zico wrote:What's the worst film you've ever seen?

I saw first 20 minutes of it a couple of days ago. Incredibly unfunny and dumb comedy.

A Night at the Museum 3 without a doubt. We have a family joke that it was the reason Robin Williams took his life.

GS

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 11th, 2019, 8:43 am

We, in my callow teen youth, a friend rented a video from the local garage called Savage Beach. We sat around drinking beer and watched it. That became the benchmark for bad films amongst those that were gathered. But it wasn't a big Hollywood production so can it be excused? Do B movies count? Apparently we're supposed to believe that there's an all female subsection of the FBI investigating something (I forget what) who have all had boob jobs, drive the US equivalent of a Suzuki Vitara, or ride scooters, and after busting the gang, all jump in the Jacuzzi topless. Like 90 minutes of a really really comically bad 15 cert. Baywatch.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » January 11th, 2019, 10:10 am

For me it's normally movies that are just far too long. The Last Jedi was the last one that I saw in a series that was magical in the 70s and 80s but is now declining fast. I believe these have been more of these films, but enough is enough. As usual, I start watching with great enthusiasm but as the hours tick by and my bottom gets ever more numb, I get more and more irritated with every new character or gizmo they introduce to try and support a failing storyline.

......The latest in the factory line of Marvel super heroes is going the same way and I won't even mention the total pap that is DC comics.

And as I lose interest in the film, I become aware of other annoyances in the theatre. People that can't hold their piss for more than half and hour, people that are sick and shouldn't be in a cinema, folk coughing, eating crisps, slurping sugary gut rot drinks, talking, sharing instawanks of themselves 'at the pictures - The movie's crap but I have my hand down big Suzies blouse ho-ho!'

Oh, Jack Reacber 2 was a load of shite as well.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » January 11th, 2019, 10:22 am

Probably not the worst film I've ever seen but Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express was pretty silly.

Avoid.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 11th, 2019, 10:38 am

The classic 'bad' film is 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' - I watched a colourised version last year and it was still dreadful, but enjoyably so.
(The film 'Ed Wood' about the director is very good*)
Generally I hate films with lots of pointless/ridiculous action sequences, particularly when they are CGI. Boring! A random example, the execrable "Swordfish" with John Travolta...

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Wood_(film)

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 11th, 2019, 10:45 am

Snorvey wrote:I won't even mention the total pap that is DC comics.

Oh yes, admittedly I was just watching at home, but Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice I think I lasted 20 minutes, maybe even half an hour, before thinking "this is pointless and stupid" and turning it off.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » January 11th, 2019, 11:31 am

I don't know if it the worst film I've ever seen, but the most overrated was The Exorcist.

I fell asleep in the middle of it when stone cold sober.

Oh and another truly terrible film was Love Story.

Slarti

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 11th, 2019, 11:48 am

Snorvey wrote:For me it's normally movies that are just far too long.

With that criterion in mind, LOTR 3 is maybe second in my list. The first film in the trilogy was cute. The second was bearable. I could hardly wait for the third to end, and nearly cheered out loud when the action finally returned to hobbitville and we could go do something more interesting like watch paint dry -- but no! there is another interminable sequence of everyone saying goodbye to each other, what an utter waste of time. My memory of the film might be faulty as I attempted to forget it instantly, but I do recall the relentless, pathetic "goodies -- blond, beautiful and indestructible, baddies -- dark, ugly, characterless and worthy of mindless slaughter" stereotype almost made me physically sick. I must be getting old...

Don't want to talk about the Hobbit. And Harry Potter might be up there were it not for the fact I've never managed to watch an entire film. Clichéed, boring music and sound effects, twee.

</rant>

GS

todthedog
2 Lemon pips

Postby todthedog » January 11th, 2019, 1:12 pm

Recently 'the shape of water'
'Splash' derivative without the humour with added masturbation.
Made worse by inability to walk out, and too noisy to sleep

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter

Postby AleisterCrowley » January 11th, 2019, 1:57 pm

I was going to mention 'Splash 2' - possibly the worst sequel ? (Splash was a nice film)
I haven't seen Jaws 2 to Jaws 39 or whatever, but doubt they are much good...

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 11th, 2019, 2:18 pm

GoSeigen wrote:Don't want to talk about the Hobbit.

Now there's a trilogy that only needs to be, at best, two films. I'm pretty sure I saw something about a fan re-editing the whole thing to do exactly that, which is a bit extreme but..

GoSeigen wrote: And Harry Potter might be up there were it not for the fact I've never managed to watch an entire film.

I've watch all of them with my dear daughter who got the box set one Christmas. They're ok if you remember not to drive your bus through the plot holes, though Deathly Hallows Part 1 definitely goes on far too long.

zico
Lemon Slice

Postby zico » January 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm

Though I also have a particular dislike for “Armageddon”. Oil drillers in space WTF?

I'd put "Armageddon" in the category of "so bad, it's good" for the amazingly obvious plot holes.
Similarly, I hugely enjoyed "Gods of Egypt" a few years back.

I've also been reminded of the interminable series of goodbyes from LOTR3. I quite enjoyed the pre-goodbyes bit of the film, thinking as Frodo was swept away from the exploding mountain, "This is a good place to end" then enduring about several more moments thinking "Now this MUST be the end" moments in the next hour or so.

Snorvey
Lemon Quarter

Postby Snorvey » January 11th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I remember my old mum wanting to watch the LoTR3 dvd (extended version!) I got for the wife one Christmas Day.

We watched. And we watched. And we watched some more. I could see out of the corner of my eye that my mum was just about ready to fake a heart attack or something. When it finally did end, I jumped up with great enthusiasm and said 'right then, a quick pee and a refill of our drinks and we'll crack on with part 2!'

The initial wave of relief followed by the look of sheer dispair on my mothers face was something I'll never, ever forget.

Rhyd6
Lemon Slice

Postby Rhyd6 » January 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

It's over thirty years since we actually went to a cinema. Nowadays we tend to either record films or download them from Prime and of course we get given DVDs as pressies. We have a golden rule, if it hasn't grabbed our interest after 15 minutes that's it. Life is too short at my age to waste time on rubbish especially as my list of books I want to read, re=read is so long.

R6

Aprilfool62

Postby Aprilfool62 » January 11th, 2019, 4:56 pm

John Wick 2 (I never saw the first one). It was a shocker, but its my own fault for going to see a film with Keanu in it.

PrincessB
2 Lemon pips

Postby PrincessB » January 12th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Apart from Transformers which is awful, one that springs to mind as a disaster on a substantial budget is 'Wild Wild West'.

I seem to have developed an internal radar which can sense how much the cast are enjoying, or not enjoying themselves. Sometimes, the raw enthusiasm radiating from the cast can make a film which is complete hokum watchable. In Wild Wild West, the reverse is the true, everyone looks like they are hating every second of it.

I read one amusing review:
https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/wild-wild-west-1999
Mini quote from the much longer review which. This section is also reproduced on the Wikipedia page.

"Wild Wild West'' is a comedy dead zone. You stare in disbelief as scenes flop and die. The movie is all concept and no content; the elaborate special effects are like watching money burn on the screen.

The most frustrating thing about Wild Wild West' is that it had the potential to be any enjoyable way to spend a few hours.

One to avoid unless you're in the mood become very cross.

B.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » January 12th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Bohemian Rhapsody.

Dick Emery with funny teeth...

Spoiled all my memories of the real Queen and Freddy in gay biker mode and moustache. Real magic.

AF62
2 Lemon pips

Postby AF62 » January 12th, 2019, 4:07 pm

zico wrote:What's the worst film you've ever seen?

Even though it would be free for me to see (Unlimited card), I gave it a miss.

I don't mind 'big, dumb, fun' films like "Hunter Killer" or "Skyscraper", and even if a film is stupid such as the recent "Robin Hood" or the slightly older "Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets" I will stay and enjoy it for what it is. However I draw the line at pretentious twaddle. The last film I actually walked out on was "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford", dull, dull, dull.

Two films which spring to mind which I thought were superb, but clearly others didn't as there were people walking out throughout the performance were "Nocturnal Animals" and "High-Rise". By the end of "High-Rise" I think half the audience had left.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”