Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Couple of films on BBC iplayer - last chance

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Couple of films on BBC iplayer - last chance

Postby bluedonkey » January 27th, 2022, 6:14 pm

Watched these two films recently on BBC iplayer and I enjoyed them. Only available for about another 7 days though.

-Sisters Brothers
-In the Heart of the Sea

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Couple of films on BBC iplayer - last chance

Postby Redmires » January 27th, 2022, 10:47 pm

I caught 'Sisters Brothers' the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also watched a couple more on iplayer recently 'Portrait of a Lady On Fire' (French film) & 'Judy', both worth a viewing.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 28th, 2022, 6:31 am

Plus Reach For The Sky. Story of Douglas Bader with Kenneth Moore putting in a memorable performance. One of my all time favs. Think though only available for a few more hours.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 28th, 2022, 7:26 am

bluedonkey wrote:Sisters Brothers

Yes!

You need to be in the mood for it; and the trailer might not help know what that mood needs to be but it had incredible performances from the four main leads (and some of the others are brilliant too)

It could be in the same universe as Deadwood: and I consider that high praise indeed

-sd

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 28th, 2022, 9:43 am

nimnarb wrote:Plus Reach For The Sky. Story of Douglas Bader with Kenneth Moore putting in a memorable performance. One of my all time favs. Think though only available for a few more hours.

I first watched that as a child - in other words, a long time ago!

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 28th, 2022, 9:47 am

Not a film, but I am thoroughly enjoying "The Terror" on BBC iplayer. Available for about a month more. 10 episodes x 45 minutes. Watched the first 6 episodes so far. Gripping, atmospheric, dramatic. There are quite a few gory moments, so be warned if that's a big turn off. Jared Harris, Ciaran Hinds, Paul Ready, Tobias Menzies.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » January 28th, 2022, 11:44 am

1 day to go on All4 : the 2019 Midway.

It's really quite a terrible film. Or rather, it's not so much a film as a film-video game hybrid - so much of it is CGI battle sequences.

But it's a great one for helping you justify buying that enormous TV - those battle sequences are spectacular (albeit video-gameish), as you dive down on the Japanese fleet etc. It must look amazing on IMAX.

And 12 year-olds will love it - I'm not sure how much younger I would go, it's not too gory but there's one or two ick-ish scenes.

But jeez it's a mess otherwise. The main problem is giving a director too much money, enough to do way too many action sequences. Which means he feels obliged to tell the full story of the first 6 months of the Pacific War - Pearl Harbor, Coral Sea, Doolittle Raid - in spectacular CGI before he even gets to Midway about half way through.

Which means there's naff all time for any exposition in between all the CGI to explain what the hell is going on, or who most of the dozens of characters are, let alone give you any reason to care for them. And with them concentrating on aircrew who saw a near 50% death rate, a lot of characters are expendable. But yep, if you're looking for a detailed exposition of why the Yorktown was so important or the mistakes the Japanese made in the disposition of their fleet, this is not the film for you.

But if you've got that big TV, fast forwarding to about 2/3 of the way through will get you into the main battle sequences so you can get a feel for it, but I'm not sure you'll feel the need to see much more unless you have a 12 year-old in the house.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 28th, 2022, 12:23 pm

Getting to Midway about half way through seems appropriate.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » January 29th, 2022, 2:57 am

Following on, albeit not a film also, but shown on iplayer, hadn't seen "Abba At The BBC" before and if you are a fan, in for a treat down memory lane.

I don't think in the 70-90's I appreciated them then as I do now and have to be up there along with the Beatles and Bee Gees in writing and singing their own songs. Remarkable career and still going, albeit in the virtual world but with some great new tunes end of last year.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » January 29th, 2022, 8:58 am

nimnarb wrote:Following on, albeit not a film also, but shown on iplayer, hadn't seen "Abba At The BBC" before and if you are a fan, in for a treat down memory lane.

I don't think in the 70-90's I appreciated them then as I do now and have to be up there along with the Beatles and Bee Gees in writing and singing their own songs. Remarkable career and still going, albeit in the virtual world but with some great new tunes end of last year.

Agree. I loved watching this. Great music but also some wallowing in thoughts of my lost young-manhood. And some songs - Winner Takes It All, Thank you for the Music, make me quite choked.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » January 29th, 2022, 10:50 am

I struggle with some catch up content as it's limited with regards to sound. Most is in stereo when surround sound has been around for decades and Atmos is now common.

Midway, even on a large TV might look good but TV speakers won't do it justice. Its crying out for a decent sound system and you get so much more with some subwoofers getting a workout.

I watched Saving Private Ryan on a TV originally but it wasn't until rewatching it with surround sound do you get the full experience. There is a scene with a half track that you don't realise that it's the rumble of the sound coming from behind you that sets it all up. You miss all that on a TV system.

The opening beach scene is absolutely immense and I would suggest it could be used by salesmen to sell surround systems.

I think Midway is on Netflix if you have a sound system. Unfortunately I now struggle to watch movies on just a TV now.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”