Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford,GrahamPlatt, for Donating to support the site

A few iPlayer films

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

A few iPlayer films

Postby Itsallaguess » October 22nd, 2023, 12:21 pm

A few iPlayer film options if anyone's not seen them -

Alien (1979) - Available for 12 days - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001r377/alien

End of Watch (2012) - Available for 7 days - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f9d0/end-of-watch

What we do in the shadows (2017) - Available for 7 months - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b053fyv3/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-film

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: A few iPlayer films

Postby moorfield » October 22nd, 2023, 9:30 pm

It's all the Halloween stuff at the moment.

Also, Here's Johnny!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... he-shining

A lot of good stuff (not just films) regularly pop in and out of iplayer that I download and forget or don't have time to get around watching and then delete themselves, which is annoying. There may be "software" out there that can overcome that but probably not the sort I would want to install on my PC or phone. It had occurred to me that if the BBC wants to redeem itself a little it might open up all its content to its licence payers all the time (I have heard that some BBC staff can do this). More stuff does seem to be available for "over a year" but not so much films.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 23rd, 2023, 6:52 am

I rarely use Iplayer especially for movies. The sound is just stereo with the occasional surround sound. Even UHD is rare.

I've been told that the sound quality is poor compared to other streaming services when doing a comparison of the same film. I haven't done my own check though.

I dont no why the BBC haven't kept up with technology. Could it be a snowball effect. Less people use it as it poor quality so less income to spend on upgrading.

They did a trial for UHD with 5.1 sound. I think it was football and an animal program a while back. I thought it might be the start of something. Unless I've missed the upgrade whilst I didn't have a license. I suppose I could check later.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 23rd, 2023, 7:30 am

Gerry557 wrote:
I rarely use Iplayer especially for movies. The sound is just stereo with the occasional surround sound. Even UHD is rare.

I've been told that the sound quality is poor compared to other streaming services when doing a comparison of the same film. I haven't done my own check though.

I don't no why the BBC haven't kept up with technology. Could it be a snowball effect. Less people use it as it poor quality so less income to spend on upgrading.

They did a trial for UHD with 5.1 sound. I think it was football and an animal program a while back. I thought it might be the start of something. Unless I've missed the upgrade whilst I didn't have a license. I suppose I could check later.

I agree completely, and I think this is another example where the BBC should concentrate on doing less stuff, but doing it much better.

A modern-day streaming service with just stereo sound is simply ludicrous.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 23rd, 2023, 11:58 am

I can't really watch films in stereo anymore.

I did watch The English but not on BBC as the alternative had 5.1 sound. This was produced by the BBC and Amazon prime. :?

They don't help themselves really but maybe I'm partly to blame for not buying licences every year. :D

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » October 24th, 2023, 10:09 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:A modern-day streaming service with just stereo sound is simply ludicrous.

I can honestly say that as a regular viewer of iPlayer I have never noticed that the sound is anything but perfectly fine.

In any case, with programmes like Planet Earth or MOTD I'm watching for the visual content, and providing the sound is clear (which it is) I couldn't really be bothered whether it was `just' in stereo or something more sophisticated.

A classic case of ignorance being bliss! ;)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 25th, 2023, 8:50 am

A classic case of ignorance being bliss!

I know that feeling. I avoided bluray discs which were more expensive than dvds as I was "happy" with the current set up. That all went wrong when someone bought me a film with both dvd and bluray discs.

Like a fool I did a comparison of the two and did see that bluray was much better :evil:

Of course screens are getting bigger and bigger so the flaws standout more.

Of course now Bluray is relative cheap but they have UHD now which often has the better atmos sound but I'm sure you will skip the lot and jump straight into 8k :D

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 26th, 2023, 6:24 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
A few iPlayer film options if anyone's not seen them -

Alien (1979) - Available for 12 days - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001r377/alien

End of Watch (2012) - Available for 7 days - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000f9d0/end-of-watch

What we do in the shadows (2017) - Available for 7 months - https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b053fyv3/what-we-do-in-the-shadows-film

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I decided to give "End of Watch" a viewing last night. Now there is a warning of strong language. I'm no prude so the warning didn't worry me. However in the first 15 minutes or so, such was the volume of expletives - mainly f*** and m***** f***** - and at such decibels, I found it intolerable.
To me the dialogue was ugly, repetetive and eventually extremely irritating. 15 minutes was enough.

Perhaps the film became less verbally hostile but I wasn't prepared to risk further abuse of my ear drums.

Leo

ps Thanks for the recommendation IAAG - don't let this dissuade you in future :)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 26th, 2023, 6:56 am

Leothebear wrote:
I decided to give "End of Watch" a viewing last night. Now there is a warning of strong language. I'm no prude so the warning didn't worry me.

However in the first 15 minutes or so, such was the volume of expletives - mainly f*** and m***** f***** - and at such decibels, I found it intolerable.

To me the dialogue was ugly, repetetive and eventually extremely irritating. 15 minutes was enough.

Perhaps the film became less verbally hostile but I wasn't prepared to risk further abuse of my ear drums.

Apologies Leo - it's definitely in the 'gritty' realm, but I thought it was one of the best 'buddy cop' movies of recent years, with a real chemistry between the two main actors that's often absent with these types of films, in my view.

I'm sorry if some of the language offended, and especially where there was persistent use of it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 26th, 2023, 3:02 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
I decided to give "End of Watch" a viewing last night. Now there is a warning of strong language. I'm no prude so the warning didn't worry me.

However in the first 15 minutes or so, such was the volume of expletives - mainly f*** and m***** f***** - and at such decibels, I found it intolerable.

Apologies Leo - it's definitely in the 'gritty' realm, but I thought it was one of the best 'buddy cop' movies of recent years, with a real chemistry between the two main actors that's often absent with these types of films, in my view.

I'm sorry if some of the language offended, and especially where there was persistent use of it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Just finished watching "End of Watch". Absolutely excellent.

It deserves its high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The two male leads are very good in the roles. I enjoyed the air of realism conveyed by the film's visual style and the banter between the two had a feel of authenticity. The swearing wasn't unusual I think for a drama set in the world of Los Angeles cops and criminals.

Unfortunately the film is only available until Sunday evening, 29th October.

Thanks for the heads up.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 26th, 2023, 3:06 pm

It's worth browsing the BBC iplayer films category from time to time. There's often some good films that you've probably seen before but would enjoy watching again.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/films/featured

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 26th, 2023, 5:42 pm

bluedonkey wrote:
Just finished watching "End of Watch". Absolutely excellent.

It deserves its high rating on Rotten Tomatoes. The two male leads are very good in the roles. I enjoyed the air of realism conveyed by the film's visual style and the banter between the two had a feel of authenticity. The swearing wasn't unusual I think for a drama set in the world of Los Angeles cops and criminals.

Unfortunately the film is only available until Sunday evening, 29th October.

Thanks for the heads up.

That's brill - thanks for letting us know you enjoyed it, and your write-up aligns just about completely with my own view of the film.

I'm a big fan of films that fly under the radar a bit, and surprise massively on the upside when seen, and End of Watch is definitely on that list for me, and I'm glad you've enjoyed it too.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 27th, 2023, 5:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Please no need to apologise. I wasn't offended. I normally have no problem with profanity, just on this occasion it seemed unnecessarily excessive.
Leo

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 30th, 2023, 1:00 am

Have to agree with Leo, even if the film was outstanding, anything these days that produces 20 f bombs and 10 m-f bombs in under 5 minutes is for my ears, just too much these days(or any day) and as mentioned, totally unnecessary and I'm no prude, but just can't understand the need, in order for anyone to express their point across to their audience, even though its 2023 and we live in a new age, it's a sad one at times.

Can you imagine Betty Davis turning round to Paul Henreid and saying, Oh Jerry, Don't ask for the f..ing moon with have the mother..f..in stars. :lol:

or..F..in hell Fred, for f..ks sake, You’ve been a long f..in way away.

Laura. F..k yes f me sideways........

Fred. Thank you for coming back to me, you M..f..ker :mrgreen:

Ok, you aficionados out there, film????

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 30th, 2023, 2:49 am

nimnarb wrote:Have to agree with Leo, even if the film was outstanding, anything these days that produces 20 f bombs and 10 m-f bombs in under 5 minutes is for my ears, just too much these days(or any day) and as mentioned, totally unnecessary and I'm no prude, but just can't understand the need, in order for anyone to express their point across to their audience, even though its 2023 and we live in a new age, it's a sad one at times.

Can you imagine Betty Davis turning round to Paul Henreid and saying, Oh Jerry, Don't ask for the f..ing moon with have the mother..f..in stars. :lol:

or..F..in hell Fred, for f..ks sake, You’ve been a long f..in way away.

Laura. F..k yes f me sideways........

Fred. Thank you for coming back to me, you M..f..ker :mrgreen:

Ok, you aficionados out there, film????

Tarantino's lost opus "Pulp Voyager" ?? ;)

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”