Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The reality of reality TV....

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bionichamster
Lemon Slice

The reality of reality TV....

Postby bionichamster » February 18th, 2018, 10:44 am

It's always been fairly obvious to me that most 'reality' TV isn't. To be honest it's such a over-used phrase I'm not sure what it really means anymore. Fly on the wall documentary or game show/make and do competition. Nevertheless so much of it seems contrived and fake, some more blatantly than others. The individuals taking part desperate narcissists or screwed-up attention seekers, even in the more 'normal' shows there is a suspicion that all is not always what it seems.

Looking for something to read with my bacon roll this morning I stumbled across this article about the American version of Masterchef (featuring Gordon Ramsay, who having bored the UK into indifferent with his exaggerated potty mouth has seemingly found that his over the top shouty shock tactics have a much more lucrative appeal across the pond). The woman who wrote it forgot to sign her disclosure agreement and nobody noticed, her claim is that all contestants have to do so, which is why the behind the scenes machinations of such shows and their impact on the contestants are never widely discussed.

One wonders how much of this also applies to UK Masterchef....

https://www.salon.com/2018/02/17/i-am-a-master-chef-survivor/

BH

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”