Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Bafta TV show

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Bafta TV show

Postby zico » February 19th, 2018, 7:10 pm

These type of shows tend to be a bit dull by their nature, but last night's was surely the dullest in history. The rather witty Stephen Fry, who usually comperes this was replaced by Joanna Lumley. I was hoping she'd be good, but she played it straight with a terrible script. The actors presenting the awards either didn't want to be there, based on their monotone delivery (I'm looking at you, Jennifer Lawrence) or tried their own terrible jokes which fell utterly flat. Prince William and Kate were there, and Kate looked utterly bored and disdainful.

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bafta TV show

Postby Slarti » February 20th, 2018, 11:43 am

I can't remember watching any part of one of that sort of thing since there were only 3 TV channels, as they were always mind numbingly boring.

Why would I inflict something like that on myself when there is paint to watch dry?

Slarti

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bafta TV show

Postby Clitheroekid » February 20th, 2018, 9:15 pm

zico wrote:The rather witty Stephen Fry, who usually comperes this was replaced by Joanna Lumley. .

I'm frankly getting a bit fed up with Joanna Lumley, who seems to pop up everywhere these days.

Unfortunately, she has acquired the dreaded `National Treasure' status, and is thus adored and worshipped by readers of the Mail and Express, so she can do no wrong in the eyes of the Great British Public. This NT status is being milked for all it's worth, not only in roles such as this, but in TV series and now films about lovable oldies, such as `Finding Your Feet'.

I don't actively dislike her, but I just wish she would spread her talents a little more thinly.

I didn't watch - and never would watch - this particular parade of luvvies, but having read a similarly critical piece in the Telegraph - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/baft ... ent-wrong/ - I watched a couple of video `highlights'. The criticism seems entirely justified - cringeworthy is the word that comes to mind.

Incidentally, reinforcing what I said about the Daily Mail readership their headline about the same unfunny Joanna Lumley piece read: "Joanna Lumley leaves BAFTAs audience in hysterics". If so, it must have been the mildest attack of hysterics in the history of mankind.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”