Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Oscar predictions

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Oscar predictions

Postby zico » March 3rd, 2018, 4:37 pm

I think the Oscars will be ringing the changes tonight in a response to recent Hollywood revelations, so here are a few predictions, with a bit of rationale.

Best Picture
Will win - Shape of Water (Female lead, Hollywood nostalgia, story about how artistry and emotions is better than science. Should be catnip for Oscar voters)
Should win - 3 Billboards

Best Actor
Will win - Daniel Kaluuya (young, new, black actor)
Should win - Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress
Will win & should win - Frances McDormand (Can't see past her)

Best Director
Will win - Greta Gerwig (female director for a film about women)
Should win - Guillermo del Toro

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: Oscar predictions

Postby nimnarb » March 4th, 2018, 5:25 pm

The Florida Project I still hope will be a surprise but its far too near the truth for (nah, this never happens in) America to be accepted. I personally think the whole Oscar Ceremony is total BS anyway and manmaid fish type films just absurd to even be considered for an Oscar. Going for a drink now, as probably need it.

http://www.newsweek.com/florida-project ... foe-788156

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » March 5th, 2018, 9:25 am

zico wrote:I think the Oscars will be ringing the changes tonight in a response to recent Hollywood revelations, so here are a few predictions, with a bit of rationale.

Best Picture
Will win - Shape of Water (Female lead, Hollywood nostalgia, story about how artistry and emotions is better than science. Should be catnip for Oscar voters)
Should win - 3 Billboards

Best Actor
Will win - Daniel Kaluuya (young, new, black actor)
Should win - Daniel Day-Lewis

Best Actress
Will win & should win - Frances McDormand (Can't see past her)

Best Director
Will win - Greta Gerwig (female director for a film about women)
Should win - Guillermo del Toro

Two "will wins" and one "should win" out of four, not bad but could do better :-)

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 5th, 2018, 10:10 am

nimnarb wrote:TI personally think the whole Oscar Ceremony is total BS anyway and manmaid fish type films just absurd to even be considered for an Oscar.

Oh I dunno. All sort of wierd concepts end up getting oscars. Rocky - bloke from nowhere almost wins the world heavyweight championship? Nah,.....

Maybe genre's get a "they got to have a winner" type approach - bit like crufts allegedly? There hasn;t been a musical win best picture since 1968 and Oliver! genre's come and genre's go...

didds

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » March 6th, 2018, 8:45 pm

Yes, my predictions weren't that good. I ought to have included my predictions for Best Supporting Actor & Actress - which I got right in both the "Will Win" and "Should Win". Slightly surprised Lady Bird didn't get any kind of recognition in the Oscars, other than being on the short list for a few categories. By the way, I can never understand the "Best Editing" award - surely in order to just this, people would have to know what the film looked like before the editors got to work on it.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”