Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Civilisations

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Civilisations

Postby bungeejumper » March 23rd, 2018, 6:47 pm

Ermmmm, is anybody else finding BBC2's learned endeavour a little bit (ahem) heavy going?

I normally enjoy Mary Beard a lot, and I can just about put up with Simon Schama, whose intellect I admire, even if I don't much care for his camera manner. (He can look as though someone's put ants into his Y-Fronts during a gurning competition.) But I'm not especially surprised to read in the Times that the viewing figures have already halved. Mrs Beard on religion last night was sending me to sleep. :roll:

I think I've figured out what's unsettling me. The Beeb seems to have rediscovered the lost art of delivering an old-style Reithian lecture, not a "conventional" TV documentary. And I'm a bit out of practice at handling so much information coming at me all at once. Yes, the images are fine (even if the constant jangling electronic mood-music isn't), but the sheer density of information coming at me is a bit overwhelming.

TBH it was always going to be a bit ambitious skipping from Buddha to Christianity, then across to Islam and then back again to the Parthenon in time for tea. A whistle-stop lecture tour that left me wishing I'd got some course notes to refer to, or I'll fail one of my curriculum modules.

So yes, the fault's all mine, I suppose, because my brain's gone soft since my university days and I prefer my evening culture forays a bit more entertaining and a bit less hectoring. How are others getting on with it?

BJ

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Civilisations

Postby Slarti » March 24th, 2018, 4:39 pm

I've watched the 1st episode, the Schama one, and he was just as irritating as always.

But I fell the opposite of you, not to much information coming at me all at once, but too much presenter and to little information.
I'm sure the Attenborough nature documentaries pas more information, but with less of the presenter on screen.
So for me the 1 hour programme felt like 1 1/2 hours, but with only enough information for about 40 minutes.

I have the others recorded and will see how well I can cope with them. Eventually.

Slarti

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”