Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Eel Pie Island - BBC link

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Eel Pie Island - BBC link

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 19th, 2018, 9:20 am

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44437317
"The Rolling Stones' return to Twickenham on 19 June is more than just another tour date - it's a rock 'n' roll pilgrimage five decades in the making.

Back in 1963, exactly 55 years ago to the day, the young band took to the stage just a short walk away from Twickenham Stadium, as part of their five-month residency at the Eel Pie Island Hotel - one of the birthplaces of the '60s revolution."

https://goo.gl/maps/gTzw73eFvSC2

tea42
Lemon Slice

Re: Eel Pie Island - BBC link

Postby tea42 » June 19th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I loved Eel Pie Island. The old dear collecting 2d with the fingers cut off her gloves on the bridge. The enormous stretch of beer pumps that we could never sample in one evening, the sprung dance floor, wall to wall miniskirts, Jazz bands, Blues bands, great place. Happy days! I believe some of my vintage still meet up at other venues.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » June 19th, 2018, 2:21 pm

Bit before my time, sadly
I used to live quite close to Ealing Broadway, and occasionally visited Club Azur- which was the site of the Ealing (Jazz/Blues) Club where the Stones got together in the early 60s (Alexis Korner involved of course)
One of the regulars started the Ricky-Tick in Windsor, close to my current location. It started out in one of pubs I think but ended up at a hotel on the river -which was demolished, possibly when the sports centre was built.

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » June 19th, 2018, 3:05 pm

In the 60s West London was a Jazz hotspot. As well as Eel Pie there were Jazz Clubs at the White Hart at Southall, Eastcote, Harrow, Hampton Court. To think I saw Chris Barber at Southall many times and can still see him today at nearby Goring Jazz Club. The Stones played at our college annual bash. Then in the mid 60s the Folk Clubs started up and instead of playing banjo and guitar in a Jazz band I switched to Folk. Happy days. We have the great Nettlebed folk club on our doorstep, but Reading's Jazz Club now looks like a senior citizens party.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”