Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Sharp Objects (HBO mini-series)

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Sharp Objects (HBO mini-series)

Postby Itsallaguess » July 17th, 2018, 4:25 pm

Anyone else watching Sharp Objects, the new 8-part mini-series starring Amy Adams?

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/sharp-objects-2018

I'm loving it - only watched the first two episodes, but it's the best thing I've seen on TV for a long time now.

Amy Adams is fantastic, and the themes being explored in the various threads and back-stories are brilliantly realised.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Sharp Objects (HBO mini-series)

Postby Slarti » July 17th, 2018, 5:07 pm

We set up to record it and settled down to watch the first episode.

We gave up half way through as it is, in my opinion, one of the worst thing I've seen in a long time.

Garbled, confused and full of unpleasant people not one of whom I would want anywhere near me.

It would be a funny old world if we al like the same things. ;) (emoji day)

Slarti

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » July 17th, 2018, 5:10 pm

Slarti wrote:
Garbled, confused and full of unpleasant people not one of whom I would want anywhere near me.

Hah!

Fair enough, although I've got to say that if I only watched things that had people in it that I would be happy to be near me, then I'd watch very little at all!

I think it's great....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » July 17th, 2018, 5:26 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Hah!

Fair enough, although I've got to say that if I only watched things that had people in it that I would be happy to be near me, then I'd watch very little at all!

I think it's great....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Things don't have to have people in that I would be happy to have near me, just one that I could give a damn about.

It had also failed the book test by the first adverts, for me. I'd picked up a book and started reading, though Mrs S carried on for a bit longer.

Slarti

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » July 19th, 2018, 5:53 pm

Jury still out on this one in Chateau Zico.

If Amy Adams wasn't in it, we might have given up by now. After 2 episodes, beginning to get involved in it, and it looks promising.
Remember Big Little Lies being a slow starter, but for that, we were engaged by the end of episode 1.
One gripe is that we need sub-titles as most of the characters have a mumbly American accent.

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » August 30th, 2018, 4:43 pm

Stuck it out to the end of the series, and it was certainly different from most mini-series!

Very very slow-paced and more about moods and feelings than actual proper narrative. A kind of murder mystery, except there's really not much for the viewer to go on.
I found it frustrating how often the characters would go along with a situation where you thought "surely they wouldn't allow this to carry on".

Stuff happens in the last episode that you need to pay attention to. Another frustration is that a big reveal is snuck in halfway through the end credits.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 31st, 2018, 8:48 pm

zico wrote:
Stuck it out to the end of the series, and it was certainly different from most mini-series!

Very very slow-paced and more about moods and feelings than actual proper narrative. A kind of murder mystery, except there's really not much for the viewer to go on.

I enjoyed it zico - just that bit different, and I actually liked the slow pace of the story - it gave the viewer plenty to think about, and often not just about the story on the screen - I thought the semi-joined up flash-backs from Camille really quite thought provoking at times, and often very personal too.

I thought Amy Adams was superb, and gave a very good performance as a bright but clearly damaged soul.

zico wrote:
Stuff happens in the last episode that you need to pay attention to. Another frustration is that a big reveal is snuck in halfway through the end credits.

Agreed - the last episode certainly wasn't your normal series-closer, and the ending certainly caught me out, especially the mid-credits sequences. They obviously made the viewer question many things previously thought 'known', so perhaps one to watch a second time to see if there were more clues...

Very good - and certainly stirred childhood emotions that actually caught me by surprise many times.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”