Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Mission Impossible - Fallout

Postby zico » August 11th, 2018, 12:09 am

6/10. Reasonably entertaining action thriller with good looking main stars, oh plus Tom Cruise and Simon Pegg.

Tom Cruise has made quite a few of these Mission Impossible films, but this is the first I've watched. Basically a ludicrously unlikely plot with James Bond-type action sequences. Tom Cruise as Ethan Hunt is a top USA spy who works for the IMF, but instead of giving bail-outs to badly-run countries, this IMF does spy stuff all over the world.

Before any action sequence, one character always carefully explains to the others what they are trying to do, what the opposition is trying to do, and what might happen, which is a pretty unimaginative way to explain it to the audience. Let's face it, none of the explanation really matters because we know that stuff will happen, cars will crash, all the baddies shooting at Tom Cruise will shoot wide, and after a few setbacks and times when "Mission Impossible" might be for once living up to its name, nevertheless everything will work out fine in the end.

The film starts with Ethan being spectacularly incompetent and managing to lose 3 bowling balls' worth of plutonium to the baddies. After that, everybody is coming up with fiendishly complicated plots involving double-crossing, triple-crossing, etc. and for any of these various interconnected plans to come off, an awful lot of unlikely things have to come together - for example, our hero has to be knocked off his bike by a random car in just the right place. I wondered at first if the film was sending itself up, but I don't think it is, it's just chock-full of cliches, both dialogue and situations. We've had 50 years or more of film baddies producing home-made bombs that have timers and lots of wires to be cut - whatever happened to computerisation? The action sequences are impressive, but at times a bit long and tedious, however the climactic sequences are both particularly unlikely and also impressive.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Re: Mission Impossible - Fallout

Postby todthedog » August 11th, 2018, 9:22 pm

Went and saw this based on decentish reviews. Was expecting a fun romp, forget a complex plot,or sharp script but fun!
What followed was nearly 3 hours of my life that I won't get back a boring incredibly long mess.
Cliche ridden self indulgent rubbish.

AVOID

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”