Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Killing Eve

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Killing Eve

Postby redsturgeon » September 18th, 2018, 8:00 am

Anyone here watched it? Just seen the first episode.

I thought it an excellently produced, acted and scripted drama. Very tongue in cheek assassin drama, sort of Tarantinoesque in a British sense of humour way.

John

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Re: Killing Eve

Postby absolutezero » September 18th, 2018, 10:29 am

I quite fancy it but because it's BBC I think it'll be all PC nonsense thrust down my throat.
Am I right? If not, I might give it a try.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » September 18th, 2018, 10:40 am

absolutezero wrote:I quite fancy it but because it's BBC I think it'll be all PC nonsense thrust down my throat.
Am I right? If not, I might give it a try.

Depends what you mean by "PC nonsense". The story rollocked along, it had some good characters, some of which are women. I enjoyed it, it wasn't "heavy". Try it and see, it's only 45 minutes long, not more than an hour, so unless your time is really precious, why not?

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » September 18th, 2018, 12:00 pm

I thought it was entertaining if a little implausible in parts. The same applies to a series I found on Catch Up TV yesterday entitled Keeping Faith. I missed this series when it was first released but all eight episodes are now available.

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Postby argoal » September 25th, 2018, 11:24 am

Watched the first three of episodes of Killing Eve and it is a treat.

Funny, stylish and addictive.

The two leads are both fabulous and the supporting cast just as good. Definitely the best thing on TV at the moment although I have a feeling that it will loved/loathed in equal measures.

Can't wait to see more.....

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » September 25th, 2018, 11:58 am

argoal wrote:Watched the first three of episodes of Killing Eve and it is a treat.

Funny, stylish and addictive.

The two leads are both fabulous and the supporting cast just as good. Definitely the best thing on TV at the moment although I have a feeling that it will loved/loathed in equal measures.

Can't wait to see more.....

Having binge watched both series in the last few days, I'd say Bodyguard is also a contender for that prize.

But, yes, another totally gripping performance by Jodie Comer (Villanelle) and if you like her and haven't seen it already, Thirteen is well worth watching. Put 5 hours aside for it as it's a real page turner. :D

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » September 25th, 2018, 2:47 pm

Rather silly but seen worse in recent years. Won't bother watching it again.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 11th, 2018, 8:36 pm

I've just binge watched this and found it fantastic - funny, sexy, clever. Bit silly but it wasn't supposed to be true life. Some real laugh out loud one-liners.

I found Bodyguard more serious so was less easy to suspend disbelief and was always looking for the problems with it, of which there were many. Still liked it overall though.

Keeping Faith was OK, worth watching but the main character got on my nerves with her manic laughing, twirling around and hair flicking. The story itself was OK.

I saw Thirteen a couple of years ago, that was very good. That actor, however, played a very weak part in Dr Foster which was a non story.

I don't know about anyone else though, but I can't wait til the BBC stop all this PC nonsense where they insist on putting men in every show!

Mel

argoal
2 Lemon pips

Postby argoal » October 11th, 2018, 11:45 pm

melonfool wrote:I don't know about anyone else though, but I can't wait til the BBC stop all this PC nonsense where they insist on putting men in every show!
Mel

Brilliant. Totally made me laugh.

I was talking to my brother about the great shows around with female leads at the moment and he said that it was a bit over the top.

Quickly pointed out that there is around 50years of catching up to do of female leads in drama on TV.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

Oh, another good show worth adding is No Offence. First two series are on Ch4 catch up and third series is about halfway through. Some great characters and acting. I'd say this show is a bit underrated.

Mel

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 12th, 2018, 1:47 pm

melonfool wrote:
I've just binge watched this [Killing Eve] and found it fantastic - funny, sexy, clever. Bit silly but it wasn't supposed to be true life. Some real laugh out loud one-liners.

I really enjoyed it too - I thought Jodie Comer was absolutely brilliant in it, a real stand-out performance in this type of production. I also thought that Kim Bodnia played a great part as Villanelle's boss, and got it just right as a caring tough-guy.

With that said though, I thought the ending was really quite poor. It's almost as though they didn't know how to wrap it up, and I thought the last ten minutes were of such a clumsy standard in terms of the storyline that it almost spoilt the whole thing for me.

I'd still recommend it, as I agree that it was all things you describe it as, but I think it's such a shame that they couldn't have found a better way to wrap it all up.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » October 12th, 2018, 1:52 pm

melonfool wrote:Oh, another good show worth adding is No Offence. First two series are on Ch4 catch up and third series is about halfway through. Some great characters and acting. I'd say this show is a bit underrated.

Mel

Quite agree, well worth watching, with some great droll comedy touches.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » October 13th, 2018, 10:26 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
melonfool wrote:
I've just binge watched this [Killing Eve] and found it fantastic - funny, sexy, clever. Bit silly but it wasn't supposed to be true life. Some real laugh out loud one-liners.

I really enjoyed it too - I thought Jodie Comer was absolutely brilliant in it, a real stand-out performance in this type of production. I also thought that Kim Bodnia played a great part as Villanelle's boss, and got it just right as a caring tough-guy.

With that said though, I thought the ending was really quite poor. It's almost as though they didn't know how to wrap it up, and I thought the last ten minutes were of such a clumsy standard in terms of the storyline that it almost spoilt the whole thing for me.

I'd still recommend it, as I agree that it was all things you describe it as, but I think it's such a shame that they couldn't have found a better way to wrap it all up.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

TBC... :)

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 13th, 2018, 2:32 pm

And there's no doubt that many a fool will be surprised by her real voice and its regional accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1871YNaWA

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 13th, 2018, 3:34 pm

BrummieDave wrote:And there's no doubt that many a fool will be surprised by her real voice and its regional accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1871YNaWA

Yep, I was a bit surprised. I think she's trying, a bit unsuccessfully, to lose it.

Scott.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 13th, 2018, 4:26 pm

swill453 wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:And there's no doubt that many a fool will be surprised by her real voice and its regional accent: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq1871YNaWA

Yep, I was a bit surprised. I think she's trying, a bit unsuccessfully, to lose it.

Scott.

You think?

Why would she do that, and why would you think she'd want to?

She has proven through several TV series already, not least Killing Eve, that she has a fine command of accents. If she wanted to drop her own natural accent, she could easily do that.

I bet she's proud of her roots, and quite right too.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 13th, 2018, 4:32 pm

BrummieDave wrote:You think?

She has proven through several TV series already, not least Killing Eve, that she has a fine command of accents. If she wanted to drop her own natural accent, she could easily do that.

Maybe because it was an American chat show she thought they might not understand full-on scouse :-)

Scott.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm

swill453 wrote:
BrummieDave wrote:You think?

Maybe because it was an American chat show she thought they might not understand full-on scouse :-)

Scott.

A role that let her fully unleash it would be great eh?

(Another) re-run of the Liver Birds...?

:lol:

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 13th, 2018, 4:34 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
TBC...

I understand that there may have been a need to allow a follow-on story, and I'm glad that this is likely to be the case, but I just think they did it in such a ham-fisted way.

The final ten minutes felt so different to the earlier writing, and so poorly done, that I thought it as really quite jarring.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 13th, 2018, 4:42 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
TBC...

I understand that there may have been a need to allow a follow-on story, and I'm glad that this is likely to be the case, but I just think they did it in such a ham-fisted way.

The final ten minutes felt so different to the earlier writing, and so poorly done, that I thought it as really quite jarring.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Not everyone will have watched the whole series yet, we need to be mindful that some people will be watching at broadcast speed and ensure we don't give any spoilers!

Mel

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”