Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Killing Eve

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Re: Killing Eve

Postby BrummieDave » October 13th, 2018, 4:52 pm

That's a good point, and one the BBC itself should heed.

They themselves announced with pride that another series had been commissioned straight after the first episode was broadcast.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » October 13th, 2018, 5:49 pm

melonfool wrote:
Not everyone will have watched the whole series yet, we need to be mindful that some people will be watching at broadcast speed and ensure we don't give any spoilers!

Agreed - and I was trying to discuss the issue without giving anything away.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 13th, 2018, 6:29 pm

I know, you didn't say anything. I disagree with you about the end but can't explain why without using detail!

Mel

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 13th, 2018, 6:33 pm

Does anyone really only watch TV as its broadcast?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 14th, 2018, 1:03 am

Yes, me. I don't have a PVR. So things like This Is Us, which is on late, I watch the next day on catch up.
So broadcast speed but a bit behind.
Soaps I watch 'live'.

I have no method, or desire, to access things in advance. No Netflix etc.

Killing Eve, like a few BBC shows, was put up as a box set. I watched the first one as it was broadcast, loved it so binged the rest.

There are still many many shows you can only watch as broadcast or on catch up.

Mel

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 15th, 2018, 7:29 am

BrummieDave wrote:Does anyone really only watch TV as its broadcast?

melonfool wrote:Yes, me. I don't have a PVR. So things like This Is Us, which is on late, I watch the next day on catch up.
So broadcast speed but a bit behind.
Soaps I watch 'live'.

I have no method, or desire, to access things in advance. No Netflix etc.

Killing Eve, like a few BBC shows, was put up as a box set. I watched the first one as it was broadcast, loved it so binged the rest.

There are still many many shows you can only watch as broadcast or on catch up.

Mel

Comedy gold!

"Does anybody really only watch TV as its broadcast" I asked rather provocatively.

"Yes me" came back as the answer.

Then within the same post you say that you watched Killing Eve, the subject of the thread, as a box set prior to it being broadcast, and watch other shows on catch up!

:lol:

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 15th, 2018, 9:13 am

Yeah, sorry for giving a full response.

There are millions of people who still only watch broadcast TV. I know several. My parents, for example.

But I can't name all the rest.

But my answer was mainly to say that while I use catch up I am normally *behind* the broadcast speed, rather than ahead of it.

KE was an exception,though I intended to watch weekly and didn't originally know it was all available til I missed the 2nd one and went to find it. To be fair, there have been a few exceptions of things I've found on iPlayer or Ch4 catch up.

The Gianni Versace thing was good and the one about the Hollywood actresses. I got bored of Trust. I'm now watching The Slap.

Mel

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » October 15th, 2018, 11:24 am

My in-laws can be added to the list too MF. They've never owned any type of recording device, smart TV, PC, wifi, mobile phone, automatic washer...the list goes on.

My son, who never watches broadcast TV (partly due to his living abroad and not having access to a TV), concurs with your view of Trust BTW. He enjoyed Episodes 1 to 4 then said it got dull.

We just finished watching watched C4's 'No Offence' Series 3 a week ahead of it being broadcast (I think) on whatever C4 calls its online service. Other than that, we've never quite felt the need for Netflix (other than the excellent 'The Crown'), or Amazon TV (other than 'This is Us' when that's all it was on), but we do use Sky Q to watch most programmes when we choose to do so (ie recorded).

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 15th, 2018, 8:48 pm

BrummieDave wrote:My in-laws can be added to the list too MF. They've never owned any type of recording device, smart TV, PC, wifi, mobile phone, automatic washer...the list goes on.

My son, who never watches broadcast TV (partly due to his living abroad and not having access to a TV), concurs with your view of Trust BTW. He enjoyed Episodes 1 to 4 then said it got dull.

We just finished watching watched C4's 'No Offence' Series 3 a week ahead of it being broadcast (I think) on whatever C4 calls its online service. Other than that, we've never quite felt the need for Netflix (other than the excellent 'The Crown'), or Amazon TV (other than 'This is Us' when that's all it was on), but we do use Sky Q to watch most programmes when we choose to do so (ie recorded).

The thing about Trust is that all the characters are pretty vile, so you don't care if they are dead or not.

No Offence (3) isn't available as a whole series on Ch4 as far as I know? It's on Sky, maybe you saw it there? I don't have any subscription TV but I do have an Amazon Fire stick, so I can access iplayer etc that way through the TV, which is why I can see the 'boxsets' on there and Ch4 etc.

Glad to find another This Is Us fan - wish I could watch it all, s3 is on in the US already.

Mel

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 16th, 2018, 12:17 am

melonfool wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
TBC...

I understand that there may have been a need to allow a follow-on story, and I'm glad that this is likely to be the case, but I just think they did it in such a ham-fisted way.

The final ten minutes felt so different to the earlier writing, and so poorly done, that I thought it as really quite jarring.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Not everyone will have watched the whole series yet, we need to be mindful that some people will be watching at broadcast speed and ensure we don't give any spoilers!

Mel

I would like to discuss the ending, I also thought it started off really well and not so sure about the ending....so can we head it in large CAPITALS for those that haven't seen it with BIG SPOILER alert and go 3 miles down the page.........................we are all so different in taste as I for one had difficulty with Sandra Oh but thought Jodie Comer was just sensational and fit the part like no other, in fact some of the other actors I also thought were miscast. By the way, it was only 8 programs correct?

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 16th, 2018, 9:05 am

I didn't count them. Six or eight is usual for UK drama.

Mel

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » October 16th, 2018, 12:13 pm

Really enjoying this after watching 5 episodes so far. It started sensibly, and has got completely implausible, but I'm just going with the flow and enjoying the black comedy of it all.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » October 16th, 2018, 2:59 pm

zico wrote:Really enjoying this after watching 5 episodes so far. It started sensibly, and has got completely implausible, but I'm just going with the flow and enjoying the black comedy of it all.

Yes, you are so right. I get so into something that tend to forget just to enjoy for what it is and forget about the black comedy side of it wanting it to end my way and not the way it was intended by the writers. Just started 13, also good.

Stonge
Lemon Slice

Postby Stonge » October 17th, 2018, 9:25 am

Glad I didn't bother watching this to the end.

Sounds like it was a real disappointment. What did you expect? There aren't any good writers these days.

And it sounds like it might drag on into another series of nonsense.

Strangers is another load of rubbish. It's even worse because of 5 mins of adverts every 3 minutes.

The local cinema and theatre are the only shows worth watching nowadays.

Politics Live has improved. Though that horrible woman appeared again on Sunday talking about 'Willy wavers'.

melonfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby melonfool » October 17th, 2018, 9:58 am

Most people I've spoken to loved Killing Eve and I was not disappointed by the ending at all.

You're right about Strangers though, load of old tosh. ITV simply cannot commission a good drama.

Anyone watch Wanderlust?

Mel

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » October 21st, 2018, 5:40 pm

I thought this was the best British-based dramas I've seen for many years. Had its own distinctive style and really well-drawn main characters. Looking forward to the follow-up series.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”