Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Sgt Pepper

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Sgt Pepper

Postby kiloran » October 27th, 2018, 9:48 pm

I missed this programme when it was first aired in 2017 but recorded it the other night. Really interesting, and I then played the whole of Sgt Pepper for the first time in years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... d=b08tb97f

Still remember listening to the whole album a few days after it was released, in the 6th form room with a bunch of mates. The youngsters here just cannot comprehend the impact it had at the time, it was like no other album we'd ever heard. And "A Day in the Life".... one of the all-time greats, John Lennon's voice was just perfect for it.

--kiloran

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Re: Sgt Pepper

Postby Redmires » October 28th, 2018, 5:43 pm

An excellent, insightful programme, indeed. I've always enjoyed Goodall's perception and his ability to point out things I've never noticed before. He did a series called "20th Century Greats" a few years ago that's worth seeing. No longer available on C4, but easy found on youtube etc.

As for Sgt Pepper, there are multitracks I've heard that isolate the four tracks. One is the vocal for "She's Leaving Home" which brilliantly reveals the pathos in McCartney's voice and also a backing vocal of John & Paul on "With A little Help" which is just superb. Get the headphones on and you could be stood next to them in Studio 2. Hairs on the back of the neck..... !

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 28th, 2018, 10:29 pm

It's one of those classic albums that I've never really got into that much (Pet Sounds is another)
It's good - but I'll always prefer Revolver and Abbey Road...

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » October 29th, 2018, 12:28 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:It's one of those classic albums that I've never really got into that much (Pet Sounds is another)
It's good - but I'll always prefer Revolver and Abbey Road...

Oddly, so will I. Probably because the earlier stuff was so much simpler?

Listening to John Lennon belting out a three-minute rock classic was somehow a different thing to the bells-and-kaftans thing whereby all things must somehow be spiritually connected into one universe.... (continued on Page 94). Like the OP, I remember my first hearing of Sgt Pepper - my mate had brought it home and we sat in his bedroom and played it through three times, at the end of which I was starting to get an idea of what the guys were trying to achieve.

I loved the technical mastery of it, and some of the songs were brilliant in their own right. But I never really fell under the album's holistic spell. Probably because I was the only rocker in my class at school and I thought 'ippies were soft in the 'ead. Tolkien, everlasting ragas, love and peace (man) and the emergent flower-power culture couldn't hold a cosmic candle to tonning it up on a motorbike. All things must pass, as George Harrison so memorably insisted - and eventually they did, thank goodness. ;)

I'm still a bit of a John Lennon heretic today, I'm afraid. He was such a very fine song writer, albeit with a rather indifferent voice, but he lost me completely some time around that point, and I never took him seriously again. I switched right off after he turned up to a Bangladesh-famine rally in Trafalgar Square in his white Rolls Royce, the idiot. My loss, perhaps? I consoled myself with Clapton, the Stones, the blues and eventually Led Zeppelin, who seemed a bit more planted. If you'll pardon the expression.

BJ

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 29th, 2018, 3:49 pm

Yep, think I had this discussion with HerbieSpike -at the old place?
I've never been a big Lennon fan (whilst appreciating of course that Lennon-McCartney were possibly the greatest songwriting partnership ever)
His solo stuff leave me cold - I particularly dislike 'Imagine'

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”