Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Bohemian Rhapsody

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby zico » January 8th, 2019, 10:03 pm

7/10. Entertaining biography of Freddie Mercury (the fellow from Queen). It's a drama with music, not a musical.

This is an engaging story, well-told and well-paced, and though it's sympathetic to its lead, and a little soft-focused, that isn't necessarily a weakness. Rami Malek is excellent as Freddie Mercury. It helps if you're a fan of Queen (as I am) but it's not essential. It's a drama with just 30 seconds or so of their music here and there, until the final scene which more or less recreates their Live Aid set, and does it very well, mixing actual footage with the film's characters.

Not stunningly creative or brilliant, but a good solid enjoyable film.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bohemian Rhapsody

Postby moorfield » January 8th, 2019, 10:37 pm

zico wrote:Not stunningly creative or brilliant, but a good solid enjoyable film.

I would add this is a 12A rated and I took the Moorfield Jrs (14, 12, 11) to see it over Christmas. The language and aspects of his personal life were well handled and nothing they haven't come across on the school bus anyway. I guess the smart corporate suits deliberately pitched it as a near family friendly film as possible... A lot of my Queen fandom has rubbed off on my son who is now constantly playing Queen on the piano. Mike Myers very nearly stole the show with his cameo, a nice touch for those who remember Wayne's World, but the ending, for those who remember watching Live Aid first time around, beat that. Made us come home and go and watch it all again on YouTube!

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”