Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Mark Hollis RIP

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
servodude
Lemon Half

Mark Hollis RIP

Postby servodude » February 26th, 2019, 12:56 am

I was 14 when "Spirit of Eden" was released and first heard it from a friend's big brother.

Very few things have the impact on me that it did

- sd

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mark Hollis RIP

Postby dionaeamuscipula » February 26th, 2019, 2:41 pm

servodude wrote:I was 14 when "Spirit of Eden" was released and first heard it from a friend's big brother.

- sd

I love Colour of Spring but had never heard of Spirit of Eden, I'll look it out. Understand it is very different.

DM

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » February 26th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Life's what you make it (remastered) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed1Qmchevd4

RIP Mark.

Itsallaguess

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 26th, 2019, 11:09 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
servodude wrote:I was 14 when "Spirit of Eden" was released and first heard it from a friend's big brother.

- sd

I love Colour of Spring but had never heard of Spirit of Eden, I'll look it out. Understand it is very different.

DM

You should also check out Laughing Stock and his eponymous album. I was a huge fan and think his voice was very underrated. Sometimes what you don't play is more important than what you do in music and space is so important. He understood that perfectly. Very sad to hear of his passing because I would love to have listened to more of his work but he was true to himself and stopped when he lost interest rather than carry on purely for financial gain. A musician's musician.

All the best, Si

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » March 9th, 2019, 3:42 pm

I was on holiday last week when the news broke so this week I have mainly been streaming lots of Talk Talk and Mark Hollis. It just struck me how timeless Spirit of Eden is and no way does it sound 30 years old. Most other 80's records have not travelled in time so well. I guess this is because it uses mostly acoustic instruments and avoided use of the gimicky electronic instruments and production techniques of the time (gated snare drums etc.).

As a postscript I thought it worth posting a link to the Huey Show from last Saturday which was his tribute to Mark. The show is always worth listening to anyway IMHO, but there's lots of Talk Talk music and some snippets of an interview with Phill Brown (producer of Spirit of Eden) about the album recording sessions at Wessex Studios.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0002syd

All the best, Si

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”