Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Tonight.... John Lee Hooker documentary

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Tonight.... John Lee Hooker documentary

Postby kiloran » April 26th, 2019, 11:52 am

BBC4 21:00 John Lee Hooker: The Boogie Man https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004j8f

Two of my favourite performances:
With Carlos Santana, Paul Butterfield and Elvin Bishop at the Fillmore in a typical JLH boogie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRMzVMe18cA
I play this about 20 times a day!

Shake it Baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnPnrtKn9fY
I only play this about 19 times a day

--kiloran (a John Lee Hooker fan if you haven't guessed)

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tonight.... John Lee Hooker documentary

Postby Slarti » May 5th, 2019, 6:12 pm

Finally got round to watching this, this afternoon, and very good it was :D

Amazing range of ace musicians in it.

Slarti

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » May 5th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Slarti wrote:Finally got round to watching this, this afternoon, and very good it was :D

Amazing range of ace musicians in it.

Slarti

He was good, wasn't he? Pity they didn't show more of his unique boogie style. Never heard anyone play the guitar quite like him. Not as proficient(?) as the likes of Clapton or BBK, but generated some brilliant foot-tapping rhythms. Certainly beats the likes of Take That, Beyonce and whoever!

--kiloran

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 6th, 2019, 6:18 pm

great stuff, kr, and thanks for the link. Will check it out at greater leisure, probably at high volume when the wife's out. :lol:

Another big John Lee Hooker fan here. I can't think of many bluesmen who were quite so influential. Was it really 30 years ago that the two 'guest albums' with Keith Richards and Johnny Winter and Carlos Santana and the incredible Robert Cray were recorded? Loved the original recordings, loved what the (relative) young'uns added to them. Legend.

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » May 26th, 2019, 9:38 am

Late thanks, kiloran. I finally caught up with the programme this week, and it was every bit as fine as you said it was. Nice to see the interviews with Eric Burdon, too. It's remarkable how few American kids have ever realised that the blues would probably have sunk away into nothing in the 1960s if the white British bands (Stones, Animals, Yardbirds) hadn't got hold of it, turned up the volume, and reintroduced it to the segregation-era white American public that was all but ready to hand its youth music scene over to the bloody Beach Boys. :|

Would have liked to see more from Robert Cray, who I still rate more than many/most modern bluesmen. Keith Richards was :lol: on more than usually coherent form.

BJ

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”