Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Songs you'd prefer to NEVER hear again.

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Songs you'd prefer to NEVER hear again.

Postby BobbyD » May 21st, 2019, 3:18 pm

JoyofBrex8889 wrote:"Things Can Only Get Better" by D:Ream.

Go forth and multiply Bliar & Brown, and all the simpering cronies in your orbit.

Things can only get better = things are as bad as they can be = oh [expletive deleted] we've elected a labour government.

I found the choice surprising....

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 21st, 2019, 7:44 pm

Charlottesquare wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Off the top of my head, Anita Bell 'You can ring my bell'. I had a summer job at a factory that had Radio 1 blaring out all day and I heard that song so many times, it makes me cringe! Actually, that one summer job put me off pop music for quite a few years.

Going back even further, we had a horrific activity at Infant/Junior school called, I think, Music and Movement, and I sometimes hear the music from those lessons. The only one I vaguely remember by name is '.... and his dancing bear.' Brings back too many memories of feeling and looking a right prat. These days I can do that all by myself. :-)

Steve

Anita Ward, not Bell. Anita Bell singing "Ring My Bell" would have been too much to bear.

"Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear" , here is Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tynMSsRz8ZE

Thanks Charlotte, but the version I remember was earlier than that. I found it once on Youtube in B/W, but never want to look or listen again.

Fortunately, I had loads of relatives who were teachers and who assured me that it was just the 'fashion' at the time and not to worry about it. Teachers also hated it but had to follow orders. Since it's 10x worse today, I can't complain! :-)

Steve

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » May 21st, 2019, 7:51 pm

stevensfo wrote:
Charlottesquare wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Off the top of my head, Anita Bell 'You can ring my bell'. I had a summer job at a factory that had Radio 1 blaring out all day and I heard that song so many times, it makes me cringe! Actually, that one summer job put me off pop music for quite a few years.

Going back even further, we had a horrific activity at Infant/Junior school called, I think, Music and Movement, and I sometimes hear the music from those lessons. The only one I vaguely remember by name is '.... and his dancing bear.' Brings back too many memories of feeling and looking a right prat. These days I can do that all by myself. :-)

Steve

Anita Ward, not Bell. Anita Bell singing "Ring My Bell" would have been too much to bear.

"Simon Smith and his Amazing Dancing Bear" , here is Randy Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tynMSsRz8ZE

Thanks Charlotte, but the version I remember was earlier than that. I found it once on Youtube in B/W, but never want to look or listen again.

Fortunately, I had loads of relatives who were teachers and who assured me that it was just the 'fashion' at the time and not to worry about it. Teachers also hated it but had to follow orders. Since it's 10x worse today, I can't complain! :-)

Steve

Here you go- not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zI5xjwKYw

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » May 22nd, 2019, 4:20 pm

Yes, that's the one! There were others as well but I have no idea what they were, though I remember the music. It was just a fashion at the time and was supposed to galvanise children into moving and dancing, and thus to relax, loosen them up, make them happy and help remove any inhibitions..blablabla. The irony was that this took place at a time when teachers were far stricter than today, so any pupil caught 'not relaxing' would be told off and sent to the Headmaster to be punished for not being happy when ordered. :-) Oh, the good old days!

Steve

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » May 23rd, 2019, 9:15 pm

stevensfo wrote:Off the top of my head, Anita Bell 'You can ring my bell'.
Going back even further, we had a horrific activity at Infant/Junior school called, I think, Music and Movement, and I sometimes hear the music from those lessons. The only one I vaguely remember by name is '.... and his dancing bear.' Steve

1) It's sooo knowingly suggestive it's amazing really that it got past the sensors. I had tolerant/fun memories of it, but just clicking the link below, yes it's really passe to me now....
pssst.... I see she was Anita Ward, rather than Anita Bell :? :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_68RwJyzkA Anita Ward - Ring My Bell

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8zI5xjwKYw Alan Price Set - Simon Smith & his amazing dancing bear 1967
Ber-last from the past. Wow it's dated. Even for a live version it reminds me what an able singer (and pianist, the main instrument!) he was. Though the backing band seem to have scarpered from the sleeve of Sgt. Pepper's.
Strange track, 'of it's time'? You wonder if it's pitched for adults or Jackanory.

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » May 24th, 2019, 11:13 pm

stevensfo wrote:Yes, that's the one! There were others as well but I have no idea what they were, though I remember the music. It was just a fashion at the time and was supposed to galvanise children into moving and dancing, and thus to relax, loosen them up, make them happy and help remove any inhibitions..blablabla. The irony was that this took place at a time when teachers were far stricter than today, so any pupil caught 'not relaxing' would be told off and sent to the Headmaster to be punished for not being happy when ordered. :-) Oh, the good old days!

Steve

Reminds me of Billy Connolly's skit, Marie's Wedding, " Connolly, Appreciate"

Circa 5 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG6r5fZ9rLM

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”