Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

7 Up

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
XFool
The full Lemon

7 Up

Postby XFool » June 7th, 2019, 5:58 pm

Did anyone see the recent '63 Up' episodes of Michael Apted's very long running documentary series? They were screened this week in three episodes, 9pm on ITV?

I am surprised nobody here has mentioned this. I saw the original Granada Television, World in Action '7 Up' in 1964 and have been following it ever since, as have many other people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Up_(film_series)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: 7 Up

Postby redsturgeon » June 13th, 2019, 12:12 pm

I have just finished watching on catch up and as a 63 year old I have a special interest in the programme having watched it all the way through.

It gets more fascinating as it continues and inevitably we have started to experience illness and death of the participants.

The original premise of, "give me the child until the age of 7 and I'll give you the man", is wearing a bit thin now although some of the lives seem to have panned out as one thought they might, others have surprised.

A great piece of reality TV.

John

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » June 13th, 2019, 6:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:The original premise of, "give me the child until the age of 7 and I'll give you the man", is wearing a bit thin now although some of the lives seem to have panned out as one thought they might, others have surprised.

I feel: Yes and No! Perhaps it depended on the nature of the original person?

On the one hand, Tony always comes across as being essentially the same person throughout. Whereas at the opposite pole, there is always the strikingly poignant example of Neil.

redsturgeon wrote:A great piece of reality TV.

I certainly agree with that.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » June 13th, 2019, 7:34 pm

I've just finished watching them as well. I'm not quite 63 but have followed the series as long as I can remember. It's a pity that the series is limited to 3 x 40 minute programmes but it just goes to show that ITV can do proper telly when it wants.

If there's one thing I'd pass on to my younger self, and was confirmed for me by the series, it's .... Stop worrying, life works out just fine (for most of us).

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » June 14th, 2019, 10:12 am

Unfortunately one effect of the programme is that the participants' behaviour is undoubtedly affected by their association with the programme. Can we really say that things would have worked out the same if these people had not been in the programme. At least two of the participants had stories of being recognised.

I also can't help being curious about those who have not taken part in shows at certain times. Several of them have said how much of an intrusion they find the show on their lives but they still take part but one woman who said that she did it out of a sense of duty at 56 was notable by her absence at 63.

Finally the parade of fashions and hairstyles is a major cringe factor especially when I consider that I too would have been guilty of the same crimes!

John

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”