Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Vice

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Vice

Postby AF62 » June 8th, 2019, 10:43 am

Snorvey wrote:So any opinions are welcome.

Film isn't bad - 7/10 - It used some of the same 'breaking the 4th wall' techniques as the 'The Big Short', but overall as a film wasn't anywhere near as good. Christian Bale is excellent (and almost unrecognisable) in it, as is Amy Adams.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Vice

Postby Itsallaguess » June 8th, 2019, 10:46 am

Snorvey wrote:
The thing is I really hate paying extra for renting movies (Its £4.49 on Amazon and another quid on sky). So any opinions are welcome.

I've looked at this option a couple of times, as I think Bale is usually good in most of his films, but the Roger Ebert site review kept putting me off -

A lot happens in "Vice." There's a ton of sound, and a sizable amount of fury. And there’s certainly an interesting story waiting to be told about the George W. Bush administration and the role Vice President Dick Cheney played in shaping the current state of our country. But this movie just isn’t it.

The film lacks insight, ingenuity, and intensity, skimming the surface of history like a drunk guy at a holiday party who read a Wikipedia entry that he really wants to talk to you about right now.

For people even remotely engaged in the national political landscape for the last two decades, “Vice” offers nothing new to consider. Great films about American politics are conversation starters; mediocre ones are like dull lectures, one-sided. This is the latter, and not at a very good college...

https://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/vice-2018

I did enjoy The Big Short, which is why I keep wondering if I should give it a go...

Not much help probably....

Has anyone else seen it and would lime to comment?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”