Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Last Breath

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Last Breath

Postby UncleIan » May 28th, 2019, 11:39 am

As part of the Storyville strand on BBC4. So should be on iPlayer.

Massively claustrophobic and tense documentary about a "saturation diver" in the North Sea that gets cut off from his support diving bell with only 5 minutes of emergency oxygen left. One of those very niche jobs I didn't really know much about, or at least, I didn't know quite how extreme the job was, there was a fair amount of explaining what is involved. Kind of like being an astronaut. One of those jobs only a few people are cut out to do I reckon. The explanations of what's happening were clear and interesting, the drama was, as I say, very tense, some of the underwater footage gave me the willies. Well worth watching.

7.5/10

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: Last Breath

Postby Itsallaguess » May 28th, 2019, 1:20 pm

UncleIan wrote:
As part of the Storyville strand on BBC4, so should be on iPlayer.

It's available on iPlayer here for another 4 weeks -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0004y5s

Sounds really interesting, so thanks for mentioning it.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Postby Redmires » May 30th, 2019, 8:57 am

I caught up with this last night. A good watch, like most of the Storyville programmes.

Another cliffhanger (literally) over the weekend was "Free Solo" on C4. Edge of the seat viewing as a climber attempts the first free climb of El Capitan in Yosemite.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » May 30th, 2019, 11:56 am

Redmires wrote:Another cliffhanger (literally) over the weekend was "Free Solo" on C4. Edge of the seat viewing as a climber attempts the first free climb of El Capitan in Yosemite.

Yes, that was good too. That fella is wired differently to most.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » May 30th, 2019, 1:44 pm

UncleIan wrote:
Redmires wrote:Another cliffhanger (literally) over the weekend was "Free Solo" on C4. Edge of the seat viewing as a climber attempts the first free climb of El Capitan in Yosemite.

Yes, that was good too. That fella is wired differently to most.

I'm not good with heights and literally felt quite nauseous during parts of the compelling film.

I felt quite sorry for his partner (Sanni McCandless) though. She seemed besotted by him and due to his obsessive, single-minded nature, it wasn't always clear this was reciprocated. Having said that, they've been together for four years.

Well worth watching.

djbenedict
2 Lemon pips

Postby djbenedict » June 10th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Just watched Last Breath, a truly incredible story that is very frankly and unsensationally told. It brought tears to my eyes, actually. Thank you for the recommendation. In turn, you might enjoy a film called Diving Into the Unknown, concerning cave diving - just as extreme as saturation diving, if not more so for the unsupported aspect. Much like this, I think it will stick with you.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 10th, 2019, 9:39 pm

UncleIan wrote:As part of the Storyville strand on BBC4. So should be on iPlayer.

Massively claustrophobic and tense documentary about a "saturation diver" in the North Sea that gets cut off from his support diving bell with only 5 minutes of emergency oxygen left. One of those very niche jobs I didn't really know much about, or at least, I didn't know quite how extreme the job was, there was a fair amount of explaining what is involved. Kind of like being an astronaut. One of those jobs only a few people are cut out to do I reckon. The explanations of what's happening were clear and interesting, the drama was, as I say, very tense, some of the underwater footage gave me the willies. Well worth watching.

7.5/10

Agreed

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=17636&p=221129&hilit=last+breath#p221129

AiY

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”