Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Looking for an 88 key keyboard

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Looking for an 88 key keyboard

Postby Howyoudoin » August 8th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Or should I say the Mrs is looking for one from me for Xmas.

I'll be generous and say that she's intermediate level, so i'm not looking to spend any more than £300 new or £250 second hand (as new).

Does anyone have any experience in this area?

Thanks,

HYD

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Looking for an 88 key keyboard

Postby servodude » August 9th, 2019, 12:52 am

I'm guessing "electric piano" over "controller keyboard"

The 300 quid mark is about where I would have expected you to be able to get a new Yamaha P45
- but it looks like they're currenly going for a bit over that (e.g. https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/yamaha-p ... ano-p21857)
- so you can probably find a pre-owned one for abouut a third less

You can find cheaper things but they sacrifice the weighting on the keys (which might not be an issue?)
- from experience yamaha beginner level equipment has very few rivals at the prices they can be obtained

good luck
- sd

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Re: Looking for an 88 key keyboard

Postby bungeejumper » August 9th, 2019, 8:57 am

From experience with buying a (very much cheaper!) 88 key keyboard for our granddaughter, the two things I'd really want from a better keyboard would be keyboard feel and weighting, and a decent number of conveniently placed presets that you can grab in mid-bar when you need them!

None of this hunting around among a hundred dedicated buttons for the one that will change the tone from might-have-been-a-trumpet to might-have-been-a-cello. And why does the piano voice always sound so naff on these things? (I know, I know, it's a very complex and demanding sound.)

Good luck with the search, maestro!

BJ

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”