Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Postby Fluke » August 19th, 2019, 8:49 am

I read the book Helter Skelter about the Charles Manson murders in my mid teens way back in the late 70s, I doubt my mum would have let me if she'd known what it was about. God knows what it did to my adolescent brain but I remember being morbidly hooked and not being able to put it down. So was keen to see how Tarrantino was going to treat the subject in his new film bearing in mind people involved are still every much alive. Went to see it last night - that's not how it happened I kept thinking. Took me a while to work out he'd reimagined the events of that fateful night. Clever though, once I worked it out.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Re: Once upon a time in Hollywood

Postby BrummieDave » August 19th, 2019, 9:22 am

I saw it last week and overall enjoyed it.

It's classic Tarantino, beautifully made, exquisite attention to detail, but with a tad too much unnecessarily graphic violence, aimed mainly at women, as always.

Great acting from Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt, with the latter's role especially suiting him 100%.

WRT the book, my equivalent (which I shouldn't have read at the time) was 'The Dice Man' by Dr Luke Rhinehart.

sackofspuds
2 Lemon pips

Postby sackofspuds » August 26th, 2019, 4:35 pm

Have to admit that hearing it was nearly 3 hours long put me off.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 26th, 2019, 5:04 pm

BrummieDave wrote:WRT the book, my equivalent (which I shouldn't have read at the time) was 'The Dice Man' by Dr Luke Rhinehart.

Yes, The Dice Man was a cult thing when I was at University. One of my friends became unduly obsessed with it.

That book, and American Psycho a couple of decades later, were the books that influenced me the most, at least in the "disturbing" category. Although the former, sadly, was never made into a movie. Tarantino could have probably directed both with style.

They probably both deserve their own topic, however. Haven't seen "Once upon a time in Hollywood{ yet, but surely will.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”