Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Kids with retro tastes - the unexpected downside

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Kids with retro tastes - the unexpected downside

Postby bungeejumper » September 14th, 2019, 1:28 pm

This one made me laugh. The Financial Times's Robert Shrimsley, bemoaning the fact that his teenage kids go for the same bands who he loved at their age - but that, thanks to the internet, they can be so flipping knowledgeable that they displace all sense of seniority that he might once have had in the musical taste department. Should he, perhaps, fight back and stamp his authority on them by banging on about how “Yeah, I remember the first time we saw them at Wembley”?

www.ft.com/content/78d91b1a-d422-11e9-8367-807ebd53ab77 . If it's paywalled today, try googling for "The girl has discovered Oasis, the Stone Roses, The Smiths and The Beatles."

BJ (who still drones on about having been at the 1969 Stones in the Park concert - and, to prove it, he's on the film footage!)

BJ

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Kids with retro tastes - the unexpected downside

Postby servodude » September 16th, 2019, 6:07 am

bungeejumper wrote:This one made me laugh. The Financial Times's Robert Shrimsley, bemoaning the fact that his teenage kids go for the same bands who he loved at their age - but that, thanks to the internet, they can be so flipping knowledgeable that they displace all sense of seniority that he might once have had in the musical taste department. Should he, perhaps, fight back and stamp his authority on them by banging on about how “Yeah, I remember the first time we saw them at Wembley”?

http://www.ft.com/content/78d91b1a-d422 ... 7ebd53ab77 . If it's paywalled today, try googling for "The girl has discovered Oasis, the Stone Roses, The Smiths and The Beatles."

BJ (who still drones on about having been at the 1969 Stones in the Park concert - and, to prove it, he's on the film footage!)

BJ

A couple of years ago my daughter (now 12) complained that the B-52's "Really went downhill when Ricky died."
- had to agree

- sd

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”