Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Stan and Ollie

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Stan and Ollie

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 31st, 2019, 1:16 pm

This film is available on Amazon Prime. A fine tribute to Laurel and Hardy which portrays their last tour in the UK and Ireland after which they never performed again. A well written film full of pathos, showing the complicated but loving relationship between the two great performers. Steve Coogan (Stan) and John Reilly (Ollie) deserve credit for their portrayal of one of the greatest double-acts to ever perform. Worth watching if you have ever enjoyed Laurel and Hardy.

RC

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Stan and Ollie

Postby PinkDalek » October 31st, 2019, 2:09 pm

Brought tears to my eyes, when we first saw it, on a number of occasions. Not always in the parts that were set up for such a purpose. For a number of personal reasons I shan't go in to!

It also introduced Stan & Ollie to those who'd never heard of them. When we went, I ended up afterwards chatting to a couple from Brazil, who were then off to check out what they could find on YouTube etc.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 31st, 2019, 2:44 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:This film is available on Amazon Prime. A fine tribute to Laurel and Hardy which portrays their last tour in the UK and Ireland after which they never performed again. A well written film full of pathos, showing the complicated but loving relationship between the two great performers. Steve Coogan (Stan) and John Reilly (Ollie) deserve credit for their portrayal of one of the greatest double-acts to ever perform. Worth watching if you have ever enjoyed Laurel and Hardy.

RC

I'll probably regret it but as a huge fan I just can't bring myself to watch it.

There's only one Laurel and Hardy for me, not matter how good the impersonation.

HYD

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 31st, 2019, 10:32 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:There's only one Laurel and Hardy for me, not matter how good the impersonation.

Indeed!

The Sons of the Desert used to put on showings of the films at the Panopticon in Glasgow (first Wednesday of the month)
- which is regarded as the place Stan Laurel first performed
- https://www.britanniapanopticon.org/

I caught it the last time I was in the UK; heartily recommended (as is visiting the theatre for a look about)

- sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 3rd, 2019, 2:02 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Worth watching if you have ever enjoyed Laurel and Hardy.

And worth watching even if you don't enjoy Laurel and Hardy!

I was never a fan of Laurel and Hardy, with a 'take it or leave it' view, and almost didn't go to see this film when it was in the cinema earlier in the year. However I am damn glad I did, because it was one best films of the year.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 6th, 2019, 12:53 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:This film is available on Amazon Prime. A fine tribute to Laurel and Hardy which portrays their last tour in the UK and Ireland after which they never performed again. A well written film full of pathos, showing the complicated but loving relationship between the two great performers. Steve Coogan (Stan) and John Reilly (Ollie) deserve credit for their portrayal of one of the greatest double-acts to ever perform. Worth watching if you have ever enjoyed Laurel and Hardy.

RC

I'll probably regret it but as a huge fan I just can't bring myself to watch it.

There's only one Laurel and Hardy for me, not matter how good the impersonation.

HYD

HYD, normally I would agree with you on this subject. There was only one Elvis and will not see Impersonators, no matter how good they are. However, this is an important film and certainly not what I thought it was going to be and certainly would not confirm your fears being a film buff. Probably one of the best films I have seen this year and even in the last few years as we were discussing where have all the good films gone recently. Yes I would say this was memorable. Poignant, touching, charming and guess what, not one swear word, no violence, no graphic sex scenes, no smutty jokes or cringing material. I mean, how on earth can you make a good film these days without those subjects? Well, yes you can and don't know the real history, but I presume most of it was true as well. Just lovely.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » November 6th, 2019, 9:03 am

nimnarb wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

RC

HYD

HYD, normally I would agree with you on this subject. There was only one Elvis and will not see Impersonators, no matter how good they are. However, this is an important film and certainly not what I thought it was going to be and certainly would not confirm your fears being a film buff. Probably one of the best films I have seen this year and even in the last few years as we were discussing where have all the good films gone recently. Yes I would say this was memorable. Poignant, touching, charming and guess what, not one swear word, no violence, no graphic sex scenes, no smutty jokes or cringing material. I mean, how on earth can you make a good film these days without those subjects? Well, yes you can and don't know the real history, but I presume most of it was true as well. Just lovely.

Thanks Branmin, convincing post.

HYD

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”