Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

The Dublin Murders BBC

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

The Dublin Murders BBC

Postby redsturgeon » November 8th, 2019, 11:15 am

Good.
I loved it.

Edit: A bit more detail.

Two Dublin detectives with secrets to hide get involved in a murder that links back to the past for one of them.
Lots of twists and turns. The denouement got me!

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Re: The Dublin Murders BBC

Postby BrummieDave » November 8th, 2019, 7:56 pm

redsturgeon wrote:Good.
I loved it.

Edit: A bit more detail.

Two Dublin detectives with secrets to hide get involved in a murder that links back to the past for one of them.
Lots of twists and turns. The denouement got me!

John

(Kind of) Spoiler Alert for anyone who is still watching.

I enjoyed it at first, less so as it went on.

It felt like I was watching Series 1 and Series 2 of the drama, with the episodes all broadcast together interlocked like a zip. An episode of the first series, then one from the second, then back to the first etc. Two stories, two police cases, two plots, one series.

I then noticed from the opening credits that it was actually based on two books 'In the Woods' and 'The Likeness' which directly reference in their titles the two cases/plots so I was watching two stories as I thought, written separately, shown simultaneously, and I'm not sure that worked tbh.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 8th, 2019, 8:06 pm

I enjoyed the time shifting, two interlocking stories aspect.

I am a great fan of Pulp Fiction though which mixes several stories and time lines not in any particular order (certainly not chronological) to great effect.

John

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 11th, 2019, 4:55 am

Spoilers.........................don't read below if you haven't reached the last series.........but I lasted till the middle of episode 6(3 more than I should) as had enough but was really confused by episode 3. Total waste of good time.

What the feck!! Just couldn't stand much more. If you have managed to get to see the end please explain to me what the...is going on? See what a previous poster meant by two stories in one but it just got more and more ridiculous, 2 cops with weird pasts working together and supposedly an identical looking cop to the one that had been stabbed to death plus 4 student weirdos in a big house. Come on and unless I have seriously missed something, was hoping it would somehow all come together, but in the end an absolute mess. Educate me please someone?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 11th, 2019, 5:56 am

nimnarb wrote:Educate me please someone?

Spoilers

We didn't find out what happened to the kids in the woods, and we don't know the explanation behind the doppelganger.

Hope this helps :-)

Scott.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 11th, 2019, 6:32 am

I'm a sucker for a good thriller this one lost me confused and lack of interest halfway through episode three.

Two books in one not a good idea sorry not one for me

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » November 11th, 2019, 3:02 pm

swill453 wrote:
nimnarb wrote:Educate me please someone?

Spoilers

We didn't find out what happened to the kids in the woods, and we don't know the explanation behind the doppelganger.

Hope this helps :-)

Scott.

Glad you told me this and saved me a few hours.......think I would have been right pi**ed. What was the point of the whole series then :evil:

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » November 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm

To allow professional critics to feel smug :D

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 11th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Judging from conversations down the pub, and my own experience, Dublin Murders isn't the sort of show that you can follow closely if you're doing something else whilst watching.

Full on concentration required, especially to read the stupidly small on-screen text which told you that we were now watching events in a different time (some scenes made no sense if you didn't spot this). After episode 3 I was making notes whilst watching it.

TV shows generally like to wrap things up nicely at the end, maybe leaving a bit of a cliffhanger for the next series. Not Dublin Murders, where more questions were left unanswered than were answered.

The doppelganger was mostly explained (in episode 7). Cassandra, when on an undercover mission investigating some gangster, became Lexie who was based on her childhood imaginary friend (my speculation - Cassandra could be schizophrenic). As part of her cover Lexie was a student, who vanished from the university when she was withdrawn from her mission.

A year-ish after "Cassandra as Lexie" vanished, one of the students ran into a woman on a bus who looked like Lexie. He mistook her for Lexie, who he sort of knew from university, and spent time talking to her. This woman, using the information from this conversation, took over Lexie's life and soon moved in with the students. She wasn't a cop. We weren't told anything about her life before becoming Lexie.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 12th, 2019, 8:49 am

I binged watched most of it which may have help me retain the thread(s).

I'd agree that it wasn't the sort of programme that you could have in the background while doing other stuff.

The Lexie thread has been explained, the current day murder was explained and much of the run up to the historical disappearances was explained.

Some questions remained at the end which eluded to the supernatural theme running through the whole series with regard to the ancient woodland and I was comfortable with that.

I thought that the wider themes of loss and alienation were well explored.

John

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » November 12th, 2019, 9:58 am

I didn't binge watch, but didn't find it difficult to understand or retain the threads of the two cases and various sub-plots running throughout, some of which were just a bit too far-fetched imho.

I just thought that whoever commissioned and whoever wrote the screenplay crammed in just a tad too much for a single series, whilst simultaneously leaving out a few salient details that would have tied up a couple of loose ends, and overall this was detrimental to the finished article.

Perhaps a case of less could, in this example, have been more.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 12th, 2019, 2:13 pm

I gave up after 3 episodes as I couldn't follow the plot. It's probably me but I couldn't understand what the heck was going on.

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » November 15th, 2019, 9:27 am

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Have to agree that 101% concentration was required and that perhaps there was a tad too much crammed into one series.

However I would have sat it out and laboured through it any way, if only to drool over Cassie (Sahra Greene).

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”