Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Knives Out

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

Knives Out

Postby zico » January 8th, 2020, 8:33 pm

7/10. American take on an Agatha Christie murder-style mystery (though it's not an Agatha Christie story - as far as I can tell) with Daniel Craig, Jamie Lee-Curtis, Christopher Plummer and probably other very famous people I didn't recognise.

Having seen the trailer, I was expecting this to be a spoof with a lot of laughs, but it's actually a murder mystery with occasional amusing bits, though most of the cast have fun overacting their parts.

If you ignore the occasional absolutely massive gaping plot holes (like why nobody asks X the obvious questions), and accept it on its own terms, it's quite clever how the various pieces fit together, and you'll probably have fun trying to guess the solution to the mystery. Daniel Craig reprises his American redneck accent, which worked better when he was playing an actual redneck. Dialogue is workmanlike and it could do with being wittier and sharper at times, but overall it's a solidly entertaining film.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Knives Out

Postby Lootman » January 8th, 2020, 11:44 pm

Yes, I saw this last week on my wife's recommendation and we both enjoyed it. So did the audience I gather, given the guffaws. Ultimately light-weight but well done, at least for an American production. I always wondered what Don Johnson would look like after all this time.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » January 9th, 2020, 3:13 pm

Saw it and enjoyed it up to date old fashioned 'who dun it'. Enjoyable tosh, up market Midsomer Murder, happily spent two hours and cannot remember a single characters name a couple of hours later. :D

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » January 12th, 2020, 8:48 pm

Saw it this evening at the Shepperton Studios cinema which quite a way inside the studio, so you get to see all of the sound stages on the way in.

It is the weirdest cinema ever, three rows of 12 seats, then the editing desks (which are always covered with tarpaulins) and behind that a flat area with a number of big sofas. They are totally relaxed about people bringing their own food and drink, a couple in the third row had bought bottles of wine along with glass wine glasses - Try that at the local Vue.

Film is two hours ten and I was really pleased that it does not drag, it felt more like a 90 minute film and keeps up a steady momentum throughout.

Dialogue is a little hit and miss, but when it works, it really works, some of the lines were brilliant. Daniel Craig's amazing accent was a pleasure and used to quick fire a couple of excellent lines.

Overall, enjoyed it a great deal. Sometimes when the actors are having a really good time, it can let you overlook the obvious shortcomings and you can just sit back and enjoy the ride - This is one of those films

I also felt on the big screen, the filming worked very well.

B.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 28th, 2020, 3:59 am

Liked it. Good fun. Craig does an admirable job. Slick production. But always getting sick if one lies? Way over the top for me and wouldn't happen if a UK affair. Trembling of the hands, funny eye movement perhaps but a puke swoosh! But then again our Harry doesn't sweat. :lol:
Haven't given anything away here for those that haven't seen it. 8/10 for me.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » February 28th, 2020, 4:18 am

Just thought about the sick bit and now know why they kept that it..Take back what I said. Very clever and dramatic. 8.5/10 :D

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”