Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Two Popes

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
zico
Lemon Quarter

The Two Popes

Postby zico » October 15th, 2020, 7:57 pm

7/10. Drama about (yes) two popes chatting to each other. Antony Hopkins and Jonathan Pryce star.

Well, this is a bit different. Dialogue and style feel like a theatre production (but in a good way) and it's cleverly put together, with interesting visuals, story-telling and dialogue. Hopkins and Pryce are both very good. You don't have to be interested in advanced Catholic theology to appreciate and enjoy the film, and it gets its central messages across without patronising the audience.

Lots of minor Popish details which I found interesting - e.g. the Pope has a summer residence with a dramatic location, and popes seem to have more chequered pasts than you might expect, even compared with normal everyday sinners like you and me.

IShouldCoco

Re: The Two Popes

Postby IShouldCoco » October 28th, 2020, 5:56 pm

Watched it 6 months ago as Mrs ISC is a bit more of a film buff than me and had seen it highly recommended.

For such unpromising subject matter (to my mind), I found it very enjoyable. I learnt something about a subject I knew nothing of and enjoyed two tremendous performances from two class old hands.

Highly recommended,

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Two Popes

Postby nimnarb » October 29th, 2020, 3:10 am

You know when this first came out I thought, "Two Popes", saw a bit of the trailer which I rarely do and in my mind decided how boring is this! Well I gave it a go and the more it went on, the more i enjoyed it and the end was just terrific. Getting on a bit now Hopkins(82 or so) but still commanding and yet Pryce was simply outstanding. They obviously enjoyed working together and why wouldn't they, both are Welsh!

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”