Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Old v new comedy

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Old v new comedy

Postby Gerry557 » October 16th, 2020, 6:47 am

I have seen a couple of episodes of Spitting image. I have been calling for its return for some time and was looking forward to cutting edge funny satire.

I'm still waiting! Get the old team back cos this version seems to be name calling and unfunny. It also seems to be more American focused . Its not for a lack of subject matter or are they trying not to offend one side. American networks are not happy to air either.

On the subject of Americans, Ted Lasso, was a much better than expected watch. Advertised as:-

"Small-time football coach Ted Lasso is hired to coach a professional soccer team in England, despite having no experience coaching soccer."

I decided that this wasn't "my thing" but I am glad now that it was semi forced on me. Took a couple of short episodes but well worth a bit of your time.

Anyone else have comments on new v old comedy

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: Old v new comedy

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 16th, 2020, 9:51 am

TV is a voracious gobbler of comedy material. Many top comedians therefore keep their best material (whether they write their own gags or not) for the stage, since they can use it for a year*. You might see it on TV at the end of their tour. So a lot of what you see on TV is second class stuff. It follows that old comedy is actually not as good as you remember, its just that you have forgotten the dross and only recall the highlights. Much of Monty Python, for example, was terrible then and remains terrible now.

* I went through a stage of seeing a lot of what was then called alternative comedy live. I saw Jo Brand twice about 18 months apart - totally different sets, she was amazing. Saw Lee Evans twice about 18 months apart - material was virtually unchanged.

DM

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » October 16th, 2020, 12:26 pm

We have noticed that when an American tv film calls itself “comedy” it is no such thing. Frivoulous garbage.

The days of Goldie Hawn, Steve Martin and Police Academy seem long gone - maybe since 9/11?

The words “black comedy” mean dour and miserable.

However we have an old UK comedy “Here we go round the mulbery bush” to watch. Barry Evans, Judy Geeson.

Bring back Sid James and Hattie Jaques!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 16th, 2020, 12:55 pm

George and Mildred anyone? Was interested to note recently that George (Brian Roper) is still around at 88 years old, while Mildred (Yootha Joyce) died 40 years ago at 53!

Scott.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 16th, 2020, 3:10 pm

swill453 wrote:George and Mildred anyone? Was interested to note recently that George (Brian Roper) is still around at 88 years old, while Mildred (Yootha Joyce) died 40 years ago at 53!

Scott.

I did see an episode of that fairly recently on TV, cant remember what channel, probably one of the rubbish ones. Are there good ones?

It was the very first episode so watched the remainder of it just to see how it started.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 16th, 2020, 3:26 pm

dionaeamuscipula, the whole of Monty Python ? There are some "classic" moments but what is classed as funny is subjective obviously.

feder1, American humor and understanding is much different to ours. Hugh Laurie's House MD, Im sure went over the head of some Americans. I suppose old comedy is relative too. I was classing 80s as old so 60's .................. waits for a 1936 really old funny.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 16th, 2020, 6:41 pm

Gerry557 wrote:I have seen a couple of episodes of Spitting image. I have been calling for its return for some time and was looking forward to cutting edge funny satire.

I'm still waiting! Get the old team back cos this version seems to be name calling and unfunny. It also seems to be more American focused . Its not for a lack of subject matter or are they trying not to offend one side. American networks are not happy to air either.

It is only on Britbox, a subscription service aimed at Americans so that is why it is American focused. Sure they are trying to sell a subscription service of repeats in the UK, but nobody is buying - in fact they can't even give it away.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 19th, 2020, 9:22 am

I'm with the rose tinted spectacles issue band here... much old comedy was indeed dire. There's a line in a young ones episode when Rick rants about TV comedies all being about middle class people being rubbish or something ... wish i could recall it properly because it pretty much summed up comedy of the time. (As well as his weak at the knees fantasies about Felicity Kendall's knickers...)

I've seen three sketches as promos for the new SI. If that is the best of the best for promo material goodness knows how woeful the rest of it it.

Meanwhile its each to their own etc (which i guess is the point) but personally Police Academy was formulaic rubbish. And (for me) Father Ted which is oft cited as brilliance personified seemed to me (based on clips and snippets and a bare couple of episodes) to be soley based around a charicature of an aging priest shouting FECK several times an episode, presumably funny becasue its a man of the cloth not quite shouting the EFF word. How hilarious; Derry Girls was far better for starters albeit a different part of Ireland obviously, as comedy based around religion.

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 19th, 2020, 9:26 am

... which just goes to show its the tricks of time... the quote was from Vyvyan it seems! Found it online (of course!)

Vyvyan: [Ripping up the introduction to The Good Life] NO, NO, NO, NO! WE ARE NOT WATCHING THE BLOODY GOOD LIFE! BLOODY, BLOODY, BLOODY! I HATE IT! IT'S SO BLOODY NICE! FELICITY "TREACLE" KENDAL, AND RICHARD "SUGAR FLAVOURED SNOT" BRIERS! WHAT DO THEY DO NOW? CHOCOLATE BLOODY BUTTON ADS, THAT'S WHAT! THEY'RE NOTHING BUT A COUPLE OF REACTIONARY STEREOTYPES, CONFIRMING THE MYTH THAT EVERYONE IN BRITAIN IS A LOVABLE MIDDLE CLASS ECCENTRIC, AND I HATE THEM!!

didds

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 20th, 2020, 6:31 am

Just looking at a list of some comedy shows. I've not watched all of them but have seen episodes now and again of some. Trying to keep it British ish. Hopefully it's old followed by new but even that can be subjective.

Allo Allo
Coupling
Blackadder
Faulty Towers
Yes Minister
Are you being served
Mork and Mindy
Soap

Flee bag
Outnumbered
Catastrophe
Gavin and Stacey
Inbetweeners
Derry Girls
The Office

The only one I have watched whole is Coupling. I really enjoyed it, so maybe that's why I put the effort in to watch it all. I wonder if technology makes a difference these days. 4.3 TV in sd stereo is maybe not as appealing as high def 16.9 TV with Atmos surround. No catch up in the old days, you had to watch live and no binge watching. Does binging get you "into it" or do you lose the anticipation of having to wait till next week to see the next one.

Coupling aside, I've seen more of the older list but that is maybe because they have been around for longer. I haven't seen any of Flee bag really, I was going to binge it on iplayer but never got a convenient time whilst owning a TV licence.

It could be coming back from the pub with a few mates and sticking on a comedy is what adds that bit of sparkle rather than the actual programme itself.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 20th, 2020, 8:10 am

Gerry557 wrote:It could be coming back from the pub with a few mates and sticking on a comedy is what adds that bit of sparkle rather than the actual programme itself.

That's certainly how I managed to kind of enjoy "Men Behaving Badly" back in the day - despite the writing and performances ;)

-sd

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » October 20th, 2020, 9:13 am

Comedy is highly subjective. Schitt’s Creek is the current "hot" comedy, after recently winning a load of Emmys. I saw an episode five years ago and didn’t laugh once. Tried another episode recently; still didn’t laugh and if anything thought it was worse.

Old comedy. Anything from the 1960s to 2000 which I have liked it enough to buy the DVDs. In no particular order: Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Steptoe & Son, Till Death Us Do Part, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Dad’s Army, It Ain’t Half Hot Mum, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Oh Doctor Beeching!, The Vicar of Dibley and Blackadder.

Also The Simpsons, the only American comedy I like (didn’t buy the DVDs but it’s on Disney+).

New (21st century) comedy. Only two shows stand out for me; Corner Gas and Upstart Crow.

Corner Gas is Canadian. Set in a small town in rural Saskatchewan, its humour relies heavily on sarcasm and irony. Five years after the show ended in 2009 they made a Corner Gas film and, breaking the long tradition of turning successful comedies into terrible feature films, it was excellent. It was brought back as an animated series in 2018 and they're currently on series 3. Now available on Amazon Prime. It’s the show where the word “Staycation” comes from. Trailer below (series, film and animated in one trailer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9L3-C1lz7c

Upstart Crow is the life of William Shakespeare as a sitcom. Written by Ben Elton, it’s on the BBC iPlayer and to judge from what I've seen over the years, most people in the UK have never heard of it. It has more than a touch of Blackadder, whilst Shakespeare’s regular rants about the inadequacy of stagecoach transport are reminiscent of Reggie Perrin. Clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8M8qTclbho

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 20th, 2020, 6:29 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Comedy is highly subjective. Schitt’s Creek is the current "hot" comedy, after recently winning a load of Emmys. I saw an episode five years ago and didn’t laugh once. Tried another episode recently; still didn’t laugh and if anything thought it was worse.

I would suggest that is the sort of show where you need to follow it for a while, rather than dip in and out.

SalvorHardin wrote:Old comedy. Anything from the 1960s to 2000 which I have liked it enough to buy the DVDs. In no particular order: Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Steptoe & Son, Till Death Us Do Part, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Dad’s Army, It Ain’t Half Hot Mum, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Oh Doctor Beeching!, The Vicar of Dibley and Blackadder.

Some I would agree with, others less so, and others definitely not.

SalvorHardin wrote:Also The Simpsons, the only American comedy I like (didn’t buy the DVDs but it’s on Disney+).

So not Silicon Valley, Veep, The Good Place, The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Episodes, You’re the Worst, Scrubs, My Name is Earl, for example?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 20th, 2020, 10:51 pm

AF62 wrote:I would suggest that is the sort of show where you need to follow it for a while, rather than dip in and out.

I think this is true of a few comedy series; partly because of the reliance of callbacks and character tropes
I didn't get on with the IT Crowd first time around but now I could probably recite it

AF62 wrote:So not Silicon Valley, Veep, The Good Place, The Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Episodes, You’re the Worst, Scrubs, My Name is Earl, for example?

That's a good list (although I never bought in to the Big Bang universe)
The Good Place in particular is one of those where you need to watch it from the start to "get it" it really has a proper arc that you need to follow

If you liked "Earl" I recommend Raising Hope

-sd

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » October 20th, 2020, 11:34 pm

I rarely find anything funny these days, apart from things that are meant to be serious...
It's hugely subjective of course but , of the US stuff, I really like, or liked..

US
Seinfeld (currently watching them all - really picks up series 2 onwards) "No soup for you!" "Are you master of your domain?"
The Simpsons
Family Guy
Married With Children

UK stuff
The IT Crowd
Father Ted
Blackadder
Spaced
Red Dwarf occasionally..

Then there's the like of Dad's Army which I still enjoy as a bit of nostalgia, but it's not 'funny ' to me now. Bit like Carry On films.
Rising Damp was deeper than a 'sitcom', more like Beckett..

Then the stuff that needs to be incinerated

Terry and June
The Liver Birds
Butterflies
(anything by Carla Lane in fact)
Robins Nest
George and Mildred

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 21st, 2020, 7:21 am

SalvorHardin wrote:Comedy is highly subjective. Schitt’s Creek is the current "hot" comedy, after recently winning a load of Emmys. I saw an episode five years ago and didn’t laugh once. Tried another episode recently; still didn’t laugh and if anything thought it was worse.

Old comedy. Anything from the 1960s to 2000 which I have liked it enough to buy the DVDs. In no particular order: Rising Damp, Fawlty Towers, Steptoe & Son, Till Death Us Do Part, ‘Allo ‘Allo, Dad’s Army, It Ain’t Half Hot Mum, One Foot In The Grave, Porridge, The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, Oh Doctor Beeching!, The Vicar of Dibley and Blackadder.

Also The Simpsons, the only American comedy I like (didn’t buy the DVDs but it’s on Disney+).

New (21st century) comedy. Only two shows stand out for me; Corner Gas and Upstart Crow.

Corner Gas is Canadian. Set in a small town in rural Saskatchewan, its humour relies heavily on sarcasm and irony. Five years after the show ended in 2009 they made a Corner Gas film and, breaking the long tradition of turning successful comedies into terrible feature films, it was excellent. It was brought back as an animated series in 2018 and they're currently on series 3. Now available on Amazon Prime. It’s the show where the word “Staycation” comes from. Trailer below (series, film and animated in one trailer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9L3-C1lz7c

Upstart Crow is the life of William Shakespeare as a sitcom. Written by Ben Elton, it’s on the BBC iPlayer and to judge from what I've seen over the years, most people in the UK have never heard of it. It has more than a touch of Blackadder, whilst Shakespeare’s regular rants about the inadequacy of stagecoach transport are reminiscent of Reggie Perrin. Clip below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8M8qTclbho

Corner gas looks interesting, hadn't even come across that one before. Can I fit it in before prime runs out!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 21st, 2020, 7:26 am

I would suggest that is the sort of show where you need to follow it for a while, rather than dip in and out.

Yes I suppose you need to be hooked in from the start to full appreciate so series. I watch life on Mars but missed the first episode. It wasn't until years later that I saw the pilot and had that Ohhh! moment, now it all fits!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 21st, 2020, 7:35 am

The IT crowd would get another thumbs up from me.

Its my ring tone for my geeky son, who strangely works in IT. My missus did have the same ringtone for me though. What was she trying to say. Anyway she swapped mine for Tour de France to avoid confusion.

Who knew I liked tech and bikes then!

Maybe I need and investment type ringtone?

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 21st, 2020, 8:28 am

Snorvey wrote:I watched a coupe of episodes of The IT Crowd last night. Very funny.

Maybe it's just my family... but "the work's outing" episode that starts season 2 might be the funniest thing we've collectively seen

-sd

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » October 21st, 2020, 8:41 am

Snorvey wrote:Last night was Roys bad back and being kissed on the bottom followed by Jen speaking in Italian to the high powered businessman.

I don't think there was a bad episode of the IT crowd.

...and thus the "cleftal horizon" was made popular

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”