Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Films

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Films

Postby AF62 » March 13th, 2021, 8:24 am

Gerry557 wrote:I suspect its an individual choice depending on your own circumstances. If you have a dvd player, 32 inch TV and a Netflix account, a top rate cinema might give you that wow factor.

75 inch tvs and surround sound is more common these days so the difference is getting smaller.

A projector with big screen, media player and Atmos surround are almost there and possibly better than some cinemas.

I don't agree. Even an average cinema will be far better than anything you will get at home.

Gerry557 wrote:There are advantages and disadvantage to each. Being in the latter category for tech I like to watch at home mainly. No travel, can pause the movie when I want, watch at my convenient time etc.

And those are exactly the reasons I prefer the cinema! I do have to travel and get out of the house. I can't pause the movie so I have to give it my concentration.

Gerry557 wrote:A priority streaming service might take off, paying extra for the latest show.

I can't see it. It was tried during the pandemic and didn't really work then.

How do you price a 'same time as cinema' streaming service? If you charged the equivalent that the film company would be receiving from the cinema then you would need to be charging up to £50 for a single film - can't see many people paying for that. You could try reducing the charge to build the volume, but then you would be cutting into your cinema audience.

I can see that they might go with a 'short time after the cinema' streaming service, cutting the time between the release and streaming to a few weeks, and that way getting away with charging a more acceptable £10-£20 for it.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 13th, 2021, 8:29 am

AF62 wrote:How do you price a 'same time as cinema' streaming service?

Have a look for the Warner Bros / HBO proposal
They're doing simultaneous release of everything this year
- it's a very interesting space!

-sd

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 13th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Lucky you. You will save a fortune then if bigger screens don't float your boat. Not sure what clever marketing you are talking about. Eyes and ears will probably be the defining aspect alongside budget.

If only I could be happy with my old 20 inch black and white TV, would save on the license fee too. Not much point taking about your sofa, was trying to get you to think about personal preference on screen size.

Agree about swapping tech but it improves so quickly.

Marketing is everything. At least that's what I was often told when I worked in industry and I don't think it's far wrong. There is often a large and worth paying for jump in quality followed by an almost endless sequence of marginal improvements. Doesn't matter whether we are talking about electronic goods, white goods, sports equipment or almost anything else. We convince ourselves (and are convinced by advertising) otherwise of course. We also kid ourselves that we are largely unaffected by advertising and sometimes maybe even wonder why companies spend millions on it. I know I used to when younger and more naive.

Fuzzy black and white pictures to sharp colour was a step change. The subsequent improvements in quality and size are mostly marginal from the point of view of enjoyment. I don't remember ever thinking how unhappy I was with my old 32" smart colour tv. but still convinced myself to 'upgrade' to 45". TBH most of the improvement in my enjoyment has come from the breadth and quality of what is available to watch nowadays.

BoE

Again back to eyes n ears. I have the same film on dvd, bluray and UHD. It's easy to see and hear the improvements. Unfortunately not all bluray gets the same sound as UHD, apart from Gravity where the blu has better sound.

The difference between dvd and Blu-ray was smaller but that was on a smaller screen, 32 inch at the time but dvd is terrible now almost unwatchable on the big screen. The bigger size amplifiing the problems.

Can you see a difference between bbc1 and bbc1 HD channels or won't you fall into that marketing trick.

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”