Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Films

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Films

Postby Howyoudoin » March 11th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Anyone else as pleased as I am that since lockdown, films are available to stream at home instead of going to the cinema?

I’m at the age where popcorn throwing is not really my style so the fact that we now have this amazing choice of movies at home is right up my street.

HYD

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Films

Postby AF62 » March 11th, 2021, 9:39 pm

Not really.

Prior to the pandemic I went to see around 100 films a year and far prefer the experience of seeing the film in the cinema than on tv.

Aside from the big screen, the sound system, and the general enjoyment of being in the cinema it was also the forced timings - it starts now and will run until finished. Plus it was an excuse to have a meal or a drink out before or after (or both!).

And with tv I find myself taking safer choices than risking something new and different.

As for popcorn throwing - pick better cinemas.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 11th, 2021, 9:44 pm

AF62 wrote:Not really.

Prior to the pandemic I went to see around 100 films a year and far prefer the experience of seeing the film in the cinema than on tv.

Aside from the big screen, the sound system, and the general enjoyment of being in the cinema it was also the forced timings - it starts now and will run until finished. Plus it was an excuse to have a meal or a drink out before or after (or both!).

And with tv I find myself taking safer choices than risking something new and different.

If cinemas ever reopen make the most of it. It won’t be for long. It’s an outdated concept whose demise was hastened by the pandemic.

HYD

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 11th, 2021, 10:00 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:

If cinemas ever reopen make the most of it. It won’t be for long. It’s an outdated concept whose demise was hastened by the pandemic.

HYD

They've been saying that since the TV was invented ;)
- then again when the home video came along
- then the DVD, HDDVD, BluRay
- now streaming and a pandemic
- it'll be VR next

Cinema, cinema goers and cinema going evolves
- it will stay around in some format because it's not simply just watching the film in a different place on a different screen
- it's a cultural event

also:
- streaming performances won't replace live music
- pretty sure churches will see people back even though they can stream a mass from anywhere

- sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 11th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:If cinemas ever reopen make the most of it. It won’t be for long. It’s an outdated concept whose demise was hastened by the pandemic.

HYD

Nonsense - cinemas are booming and have become vastly more popular than a few years ago.

Sure there are lots of people who like to sit in front of their tv, but there are an awful lot of people who like going to the cinema, and that is people of all age groups.

On a weekend it can be hard to get a seat for some films, and that isn’t just the Hollywood blockbusters, but also those which attract the ‘grey hairs’, and foreign language films.

There has been a vast amount spent on cinemas over the past 20 years and they are unrecognisable from the flea pits which existed back then.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 11th, 2021, 10:28 pm

servodude wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

HYD

- it'll be VR next

- it will stay around in some format because it's not simply just watching the film in a different place on a different screen
- it's a cultural event

also:
- pretty sure churches will see people back even though they can stream a mass from anywhere

- sd

All good points sd.

Regarding cinema only though, I’m not sure that people will go back to that format now that they’ve tasted what it’s like from home. The same way that office workers will now favour those businesses that let them work from home in the countryside rather than spend a fortune getting into Central London every day.

James Bond and the latest Marvel film may attract people to the cinemas when they reopen but I really can’t see much else enticing people.

I might be completely wrong. We’ll see soon enough when lockdown ends.

HYD

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 12th, 2021, 3:03 am

Howyoudoin wrote:
servodude wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

HYD

- it'll be VR next

- it's a cultural event

also:

- sd

All good points sd.

Regarding cinema only though, I’m not sure that people will go back to that format now that they’ve tasted what it’s like from home. The same way that office workers will now favour those businesses that let them work from home in the countryside rather than spend a fortune getting into Central London every day.

James Bond and the latest Marvel film may attract people to the cinemas when they reopen but I really can’t see much else enticing people.

I might be completely wrong. We’ll see soon enough when lockdown ends.

HYD

some will stay away
others will be holding their breath waiting for them to re-open

I've found us going to the cinema much more in the past 4 years than in the previous 10
- part of that will be the kids being older (so we don't need to consider them)
- but another part of it is that cinemas appear to have really upped their game

I think that the restrictions we've all been under have cause a good degree of pent up demand for "going out and doing stuff"
- I know I'm booking tickets for shows and gigs that I wouldn't have considered 18months ago - just because I've had to forego/cancel so much
- that probably won't last - but right now it's fill yer boots time

when our lockdown ended last year we joined the cinema club at this newly converted establishment
- and gave each other a book of tickets as an xmas present
- we've nearly finished them

- sd

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » March 12th, 2021, 7:53 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Regarding cinema only though, I’m not sure that people will go back to that format now that they’ve tasted what it’s like from home. The same way that office workers will now favour those businesses that let them work from home in the countryside rather than spend a fortune getting into Central London every day.

Aside from the fact there are a lot of twenty/thirtysomethings not living in the countryside (because they can't afford it / don't want to) and would quite like to get out of their shoebox sized flat with no garden where they haven't seen anyone for months, and go back into the office for some human contact... with that argument then surely restaurants are doomed because people can cook / get takeaways at home, pubs are doomed because people can drink at home with beer from the supermarket, gyms are doomed because people can go for a run around the block, etc.

It might be an advertising slogan, but for many, going to the cinema is not just about seeing a film but about the experience. The same as eating in a restaurant is not about meeting your daily calorie requirements, drinking in a pub is not about getting inebriated, and going to the gym is not about getting exercise; they are opportunities to step away from normal humdrum life for a while.

Howyoudoin wrote:James Bond and the latest Marvel film may attract people to the cinemas when they reopen but I really can’t see much else enticing people.

The cinemas will need some films to entice the audience back and there is the 'chicken and egg' situation that the film companies will not want to put out anything significant until the audience is there. However unlike last summer when the cinema reopening was a flop because of people's natural concern for being indoors in close proximity to others, I sense the general mood this time to be far different due to the reassurance provided by the rapid roll out of vaccinations.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » March 12th, 2021, 9:29 am

I'm not particularly interested in going to the cinema to see films. What has drawn me back in recent years is live broadcasts of opera or West End plays. The cinema typically has very good seating and excellent sound systems. The experience of the opera in particular is far superior to actually going to the opera house.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » March 12th, 2021, 9:37 am

FWIW... before lockdown etc our town's independent cinema

* £5 a seat all showings adult, £3.50 children
* one screen
* in a "poor week", two films maybe in seven days available, most weeks four.
* monthly film club (arts film circuit type stuff)
* loyalty card benefits

And if lockdown hadnt occurred there would now be two or even three screens as they converted the old bingo hall into new screens.
And the plans include replacing all the "old" seating with new cinema style seating
There was also talk of one of those new screens doubling up as a stage for live performances.
And there was mention of a bar also (though I'm really not that fussed myself)

AIUI these plans remain in place for when lockdown disappears.

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 12th, 2021, 10:37 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Anyone else as pleased as I am that since lockdown, films are available to stream at home instead of going to the cinema?

I’m at the age where popcorn throwing is not really my style so the fact that we now have this amazing choice of movies at home is right up my street.

HYD

Not me, but I am fussy about the cinema. (It's similar to shopping for me. Part of the reason I frequent Waitrose isn't just the quality of the products, but the people I might be sharing a space with. If that makes me a snob I can live with that label.)

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 12th, 2021, 1:13 pm

I suspect its an individual choice depending on your own circumstances. If you have a dvd player, 32 inch TV and a Netflix account, a top rate cinema might give you that wow factor.

75 inch tvs and surround sound is more common these days so the difference is getting smaller.

A projector with big screen, media player and Atmos surround are almost there and possibly better than some cinemas.

I wanted to see Tenet and release to streaming and or disc earlier was good for me as getting to the cinema was going to cause an issue.

There are advantages and disadvantage to each. Being in the latter category for tech I like to watch at home mainly. No travel, can pause the movie when I want, watch at my convenient time etc. Streaming is also not as good quality as disc currently although I expect that to improve over time.

Meeting a load of mates, having a meal or drinks and watching the latest blockbuster might still be doable post lockdown. The main benefit being "in" on the conversation at the time. If you wait until its on disc or streaming it could be old hat by the time you are ready to talk about it and all your mates have moved on.

A priority streaming service might take off, paying extra for the latest show. Not all films will fall into the really looking forward to see catogory and the convenience and lower quality won't matter.

Horses for courses then

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » March 12th, 2021, 2:52 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
75 inch tvs and surround sound is more common these days so the difference is getting smaller.

A projector with big screen, media player and Atmos surround are almost there and possibly better than some cinemas.

We upgraded to a 45" tv a couple of years back and have had to push the sofa back against the opposite wall to appreciate it. The rooms in our house (modern 4-bed detached) are maybe slightly larger than average I would guess. So I'm left wondering how anything much bigger can possibly be appropriate for most living rooms without having to move your head a lot to follow the action?

Or do people sit outside in the hallway to enjoy their mega-tellies?

BoE

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » March 12th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:

Maybe some of us just have bigger rooms.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 12th, 2021, 7:46 pm

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:

We upgraded to a 45" tv a couple of years back and have had to push the sofa back against the opposite wall to appreciate it. The rooms in our house (modern 4-bed detached) are maybe slightly larger than average I would guess. So I'm left wondering how anything much bigger can possibly be appropriate for most living rooms without having to move your head a lot to follow the action?

BoE

There are calculators you can get to help you work out ideal seating distances or largest screen sizes etc. For TV's it depends on the resolution of the tv. You will have to sit closer to a 4k TV than a FHD one to see the benefits.

https://myhometheater.homestead.com/vie ... lator.html

45 inch seems quite small these days, most of my wall is now covered by screen. You soon get used to a large screen. Personal preference will also play a part. Do you sit in the front or the back row, if your on your own watching of course.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » March 12th, 2021, 9:25 pm

dealtn wrote:
Maybe some of us just have bigger rooms.

Some, yes, but not the majority that 'more common' suggests.

In any case I'm not actually convinced of the benefit of a much bigger tv. Once you get absorbed into whatever you are watching then above a certain size it doesn't make that much difference IMO. There's a novelty factor but the rest is clever marketing and a general rise in affluence.

It's amazing how quickly we seem to be replacing stuff from phones to computers to tv's and other electronic gadgets.

BoE

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » March 12th, 2021, 9:32 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
Do you sit in the front or the back row, if your on your own watching of course.

I usually sit on the left hand side of the sofa and my wife in the middle. Neither of us usually sit in the front row (the floor).

BoE

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » March 13th, 2021, 6:30 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:
Do you sit in the front or the back row, if your on your own watching of course.

I usually sit on the left hand side of the sofa and my wife in the middle. Neither of us usually sit in the front row (the floor).

BoE

We have occasionally arranged the sofas front and back for a viewing at home
- using our 9' X 4' blind as a screen for a little HD projector

Works surprisingly well and served as a kids' treat during "lockdown"

It's not a cinema though (even though the sound through my hifi is more to my taste than the average cinema mix)

-sd

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 13th, 2021, 7:15 am

Bubblesofearth wrote:

In any case I'm not actually convinced of the benefit of a much bigger tv. Once you get absorbed into whatever you are watching then above a certain size it doesn't make that much difference IMO. There's a novelty factor but the rest is clever marketing and a general rise in affluence.

It's amazing how quickly we seem to be replacing stuff from phones to computers to tv's and other electronic gadgets.

BoE

Lucky you. You will save a fortune then if bigger screens don't float your boat. Not sure what clever marketing you are talking about. Eyes and ears will probably be the defining aspect alongside budget.

If only I could be happy with my old 20 inch black and white TV, would save on the license fee too. Not much point taking about your sofa, was trying to get you to think about personal preference on screen size.

Agree about swapping tech but it improves so quickly.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » March 13th, 2021, 8:14 am

Gerry557 wrote:Lucky you. You will save a fortune then if bigger screens don't float your boat. Not sure what clever marketing you are talking about. Eyes and ears will probably be the defining aspect alongside budget.

If only I could be happy with my old 20 inch black and white TV, would save on the license fee too. Not much point taking about your sofa, was trying to get you to think about personal preference on screen size.

Agree about swapping tech but it improves so quickly.

Marketing is everything. At least that's what I was often told when I worked in industry and I don't think it's far wrong. There is often a large and worth paying for jump in quality followed by an almost endless sequence of marginal improvements. Doesn't matter whether we are talking about electronic goods, white goods, sports equipment or almost anything else. We convince ourselves (and are convinced by advertising) otherwise of course. We also kid ourselves that we are largely unaffected by advertising and sometimes maybe even wonder why companies spend millions on it. I know I used to when younger and more naive.

Fuzzy black and white pictures to sharp colour was a step change. The subsequent improvements in quality and size are mostly marginal from the point of view of enjoyment. I don't remember ever thinking how unhappy I was with my old 32" smart colour tv. but still convinced myself to 'upgrade' to 45". TBH most of the improvement in my enjoyment has come from the breadth and quality of what is available to watch nowadays.

BoE

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”