Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Line of Duty

Reviews, favourites and suggestions
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Line of Duty

Postby terminal7 » March 29th, 2021, 10:25 am

I thought Episode 1 was less intense than the atmosphere in previous series. The somewhat claustrophobic atmosphere in C-12 was very much diluted by a broader panoply outside locations etc. Nevertheless very good - though some knowledge of the past series was almost essential at times. Certainly some of the more minor characters were key to several scenes and without their back history it would have been difficult to follow. Episode 2 (last night) ratcheted up the tension and culminated in the 'brand' interrogation scene (that was brilliant). Again without knowledge of previous series, I suspect some nuances would be completely lost. Trying not to highlight any spoilers.

One small quibble - do other Fools find the sound poor at times - the OH and I (pair of old dodderers) - having great difficulty in understanding several of the characters?

T7

PS When I have to resort to both earphones and subtitles, I know that I am a lost cause.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Re: Line of Duty

Postby bluedonkey » March 29th, 2021, 10:59 am

+1 regarding the sound. Partly it's due to ambient background sound being captured, and sometimes due to actors half-whispering what they say. It makes it more realistic but at the expense of clarity. Perhaps very high quality speakers help, I'm sure my TV speakers are past their best.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 29th, 2021, 1:26 pm

terminal7 wrote:One small quibble - do other Fools find the sound poor at times - the OH and I (pair of old dodderers) - having great difficulty in understanding several of the characters?

I often get that with shows that feature regional accents. I find myself rewinding to hear things again, which is annoying. Obviously not possible if you are watching it "live" which I never do these days, partly for that reason.

Does your streaming service have a "subtitle" option?

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » March 29th, 2021, 8:11 pm

The problem is that I have forgotten a lot of the first series so it is indeed somewhat confusing. However “Unforgotten” has mainly caught my attention as it’s fresh in the mind. I think it’s a shame that with Line of Duty they didn’t give us a quick refresh beforehand.

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » March 29th, 2021, 8:21 pm

nimnarb wrote:The problem is that I have forgotten a lot of the first series so it is indeed somewhat confusing. However “Unforgotten” has mainly caught my attention as it’s fresh in the mind. I think it’s a shame that with Line of Duty they didn’t give us a quick refresh beforehand.

Well they do give a recap of the previous events in the current series at the start of each episode. If they gave a recap of the whole series of Line of Duty there wouldn't be time to show the current episode. :)

BTW. They started a repeat of the original 1990s series 'Between the Lines', on BBC 4 at 10pm last Sunday, right after LoD.

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Postby AJC5001 » March 29th, 2021, 11:59 pm

nimnarb wrote:The problem is that I have forgotten a lot of the first series so it is indeed somewhat confusing. However “Unforgotten” has mainly caught my attention as it’s fresh in the mind. I think it’s a shame that with Line of Duty they didn’t give us a quick refresh beforehand.

All 31 episodes from Series 1 onwards are available on iPlayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episodes/p00yzlr0/line-of-duty?seriesId=m000tjg9

Adrian

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » March 30th, 2021, 10:54 am

Lootman - How else can I get the full gist of Cardi B?

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 5th, 2021, 8:37 pm

This becomes more complex by the minute. Is there one large conspiracy encompassing the OCG, AC-12 and Jo Davidson? What is going on between Ted and Steph? Is Buckells just a convenient fall guy? Steve - please stop taking the pain killers.

Great lines:

AC-12 must get a pound everytime someone says OCG

The name's Hastings ma'am, I'm the epitome of an old battle

T7

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 5th, 2021, 10:11 pm

terminal7 wrote:This becomes more complex by the minute. Is there one large conspiracy encompassing the OCG, AC-12 and Jo Davidson? What is going on between Ted and Steph?

Ted having money issues again? What was all that cash doing in Steph's attic?

terminal7 wrote:Is Buckells just a convenient fall guy? Steve - please stop taking the pain killers.

Great lines:

AC-12 must get a pound everytime someone says OCG
The name's Hastings ma'am, I'm the epitome of an old battle

Yes, I liked that one. :)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 6th, 2021, 9:20 am

Ted having money issues again? What was all that cash doing in Steph's attic?

I thought that Ted had given her the money in the previous series - possibly indirectly from her husband during the period when he was 'led' the OCG and his demise. Anyone know where there is a good synopsis of each episode? The Guardian has reviewed each episode - but rather whimsically at time and not comprehensively.

T7

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 6th, 2021, 9:31 am

terminal7 wrote:
Anyone know where there is a good synopsis of each episode? The Guardian has reviewed each episode - but rather whimsically at time and not comprehensively.

T7

Does this help? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_of_Duty_(series_5)
Similar links for other series

--kiloran

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 11th, 2021, 9:59 pm

Who IS she related to? Steph? Ted? Exciting stuff! :)

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 14th, 2021, 1:48 am

We've just binged the first 4 episodes in the past two days

Glad to see that it's still of a very high standard
- and that they're still just the right side of cringe with Ted's dialogue (his "Haud yer wheesht" delivered in a brilliantly natural manner)

During one of the recaps at the start of an episode we had to pause the TV as we were interrupted by an offspring with "something" to say
- not sure what she was on about as I noticed that the newspapers frozen on the screen were legible
- so I got to read the two reports of the murder

It made for a fascinating info-dump and was an incredible bit of attention to detail in what looks like a throwaway panning shot

- sd

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » April 14th, 2021, 10:21 am

terminal7 wrote:

T7

What is a Cardi B? :lol:

(This is how I know I'm approaching middle age. All the music in the charts sounds the same to me and I hear about 'celebrities' and think "who?")

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » April 14th, 2021, 10:28 am

absolutezero wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

T7

(This is how I know I'm approaching middle age. All the music in the charts sounds the same to me and I hear about 'celebrities' and think "who?")

Do not use Google to find out
I repeat
This has been a public service announcement on behalf of your eyeballs
-sd

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » April 14th, 2021, 11:10 am

Try freeze framing the last seconds of Episode 4 to get a glimpse of the photo.

T7

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » April 14th, 2021, 12:23 pm

servodude wrote:
absolutezero wrote:
terminal7 wrote:

T7

I repeat
-sd
:shock:

XFool
The full Lemon

Postby XFool » April 14th, 2021, 6:01 pm

servodude wrote:
absolutezero wrote:What is a Cardi B? :lol:

I repeat

And well worth saying, Sir! (I know, I know...)

Google has morphed from "Bloody Brilliant" to "F*** this, not bloody Google AGAIN!" :evil:

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » April 15th, 2021, 11:12 pm

terminal7 wrote:One small quibble - do other Fools find the sound poor at times - the OH and I (pair of old dodderers) - having great difficulty in understanding several of the characters?

Yes, it’s terrible. It’s not the first. The 100 was completely incomprehensible, and the recent The Terror not much better.

I can’t work out if this is just me getting old, or another of those terrible modern production techniques that directors think are so clever. Like quick cut editing and swirly moving cameras. Just because the technology makes it possible, does not mean it is a good idea guys. Atmospheric mumbling does not add authenticity if no one can understand what your characters are saying. But my lack of comprehension does seem to be restricted to just a few drama series.

Gryff

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 15th, 2021, 11:59 pm

gryffron wrote:

Yes, it’s terrible. It’s not the first. The 100 was completely incomprehensible, and the recent The Terror not much better.

I can’t work out if this is just me getting old, or another of those terrible modern production techniques that directors think are so clever. Like quick cut editing and swirly moving cameras. Just because the technology makes it possible, does not mean it is a good idea guys. Atmospheric mumbling does not add authenticity if no one can understand what your characters are saying. But my lack of comprehension does seem to be restricted to just a few drama series.

Gryff

I find similar problems on an increasing number of programmes. I know my ears are ageing, but they are not that bad.

I suspect the problem is that sound engineers and editors are wearing headphones or in editing suites with high-quality speakers. Make them use a typical flat-screen TV with rear-facing speakers. Much more reflective of reality in a typical household

--kiloran

Return to “Music, Theatre, TV and Film”